Jump Start a Gen 1 Safely

green_rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, all,

My Viper is kept in a storage unit, and I've kept the battery in good stead by driving the car at least once every two weeks. Got delayed this time, missed a week, and the battery is dead. Turn the key, and nothing. No cranks.

I'm thinking about changing the battery, as I'm not sure how old it is, but given its location in a storage unit, there is very little room to work. So, I was curious how risky it would be to jump start it with my Ford Transit van so I can bring it home and have more room. In reviewing old threads, I see a number of people say it's just fine to jump start and a number of people say you're likely to fry your PCM.

Given that jumpstarting a car is a normal thing to do, I'm curious why this is the case on the Viper.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have had to do it a BUNCH of times in a car to car fashion. The key is to have a set of large gauge jumper cables...and disconnect as soon as possible upon startup to avoid damage to the donor car or the recipient car. Just be aware that if your Viper's battery has developed a short, it may not work.

Another consideration after reading your post would be to buy a new battery, fully charge it, then use the new battery as a jump box. Then change the battery when you get it home.

Once, our 95 needed BOTH a new AGM group 78 battery as a jump box AND my running Chrysler 300S to achieve startup.

If/ when your alarm goes into alarm set mode, just call me for the solution. 317-402-9013

Good luck !!

OP
OP
green_rt10

green_rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for your advice, Steve! I really appreciate your time and explanation of the process. I'll give a shot.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Never jump start a Gen 1, you can damage the engine controller. The electronics are old and cannot take the power surge.
Charge the battery first or replace it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine