Replacing Alpine deck

Newguy99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all - how easy or difficult is it to replace the factory Alpine unit in a 99 RT/10? Is it simply an unplug of old unit and plug in new one? Besides accessing the deck, just wondering if anyone has any advice or photos if you’ve done it. It works fine with the door speakers but I think the rear channel is dust. I replaced the rear speaker but it still crackles. Thanks Viper nation!

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an amp too.

Search the forum and the other forum. The radio is a little shorter then normal units if I remember correctly so you need a 90 degree connector for something.

OP
OP
Newguy99

Newguy99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I searched the site and found great information, I should have looked first, loving the Viper community. Safe motoring.

usmcfieldmp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the 90° connector will be for the radio antenna.

My car had already had the radio replaced, but it was an early 2000's unit with super bright blue lighting, all the buttons had rubbed off, and no bluetooth. I swapped it out to a Continental unit meant for 1980's P-cars. Its lighting matches the factory gauges and it blends in with the general aesthetic of the stock interior. It gets bonus points for only weighing 1 lbs too.

And you'll need this adapter for the radio cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QH75SCC/

You must be registered for see images attach

4bangerviperjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with the center speaker crackling in my 98. Come to find out the R/C switch on the amp had made it's way to a middle "neutral" position which caused this. I toggled the switch a few times and then put it back securely into the "C" position and the crackling went away completely. I found this issue after I had done a double din touch screen install and thought it was my brand new radio.
Hope this helps

Jim Myke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Antena on my 98 RT/10 was terrible, always losing reception so I went to Car Tunes and had them replace radio with current alpine Bluetooth sirusxm with a new sub woofer in center and added amplifier, current alpine fit in same space as old alpine, now I can listen to same station cross country without losing station. The antenna in the glass was a bad idea.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then is it your charging system. Check the alternator connections and the grounds to it and radio, amp, PCM and whatever other thing is on the same power and ground circuit of the amp and radio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96