'03/'04 Cobra.........What outcome?

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'03/\'04 Cobra.........What outcome?

I have been surfing some of the other car forums the past few weeks (mainly SVT Cobra sites) and found an alarming pattern in these posts that tell tales of how they "walked" a Viper no problem from a dig or from any speed. Now I know that the '03/'04 Cobra is a very fast car, especaily when modded, but are there any of you either modded or stock that have "walked" them? If yes, let's hear them. I'm in no way bashing Cobra's, I actually think they are quite impressive and want one also, it just seems that we never seem to win. As a proud owner of a '96 GTS that is now supercharged courtesy of Roe racing, who has yet to run into any Cobra's, lets hear about some wins.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'03/\'04 Cobra.........What outcome?

The Cobra's are fast cars, especially when modded.
I have destroyed many Cobras, they seem to be all over the place around this area. It's just that Viper owners don't run around going Nuts because they smacked a Cobra. :p

You shouldn't have any problem at all with your Roe SC'd Viper! :2tu:

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My good friend has an 03 cobra that dyno'd 450 ish rear wheel. I walk him every time! Its a fast car..(cheap to Mod)...J

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At our local dragstrip I've seen several SVT Cobras run, and most were running between 13.1 and 13.3@115MPH.
But with that said, I'd say that they were all probably bone stock including factory tires.

As mentioned, 425-460RWHP is easily and cheaply attained with a pulley swap and other bits (under $2K), and you can add the Kenny Brown "BlowZilla" and bring that up to 600RWHP! with a fuel pump, and bigger injectors to supply the fuel. :eek:

Add some drag radials and you would have a VERY quick Mustang. But as with most cars, the better that they are at drag racing, the more that they usually suffer as a normal, drivable car (after a point) especially considering that most balanced performance cars need to go around corners fast as well.

It's nice to be a focus of attention with the Viper being the car to beat. But adding a supercharger raises the ante again. :laugh:

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

One of my best friends has a svt that puts down 451 rwhp on a hot day, my viper with no juice and no race gas puts down 460rwhp but I always have about extra 100rwtq than him. We will race this week b/c he is calling me out. And as Always I will spank him for the last time b/f my blower gets here.

vd..

If there is any driver error he will 100% take me. Other than that i will destroy him.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

let me say this to you guys. the cobra is quite interesting. my brother in law has an 03 convertible with an accufab throttle body(few hundred), 9inch kn cold-air intake(250bucks)ported stock blower(2500)included polishing,cat-back bassani exhaust(1100)this setup with a 2.80 pully and a fresh tune yielded 510 rwhp!!!base line stock was 398 of the showroom floor. i was present for both dynos and both were done at the same place. these cars are nasty if done right. but i will tell you one thing. they will never have the appeal the dodge viper has PERIOD. but you can easily see the potetial 3-4 thousand has for these cars!then again my viper dynos 600rwhp with only adding a mere 150 shot nitrous kit for what 1500 dollars! blowers/turbos, can get a bit expensive. oh, and my bros'stang has never beaten me yet. and thats with out the nos. but he sure comes close. its cars like the new cobra that push dodge and gm into making their factory vipers and corvettes go faster and in the end those that get to drive these babies are the winners!

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have lots of info for you, just look at my sig.

With $1100 in mods my 03 Cobra made 445rwhp/452rwtq SAE and ran [email protected] - 1.93 60'. (pulley, cai, catback, tune)

My Viper stock with K&Ns ran a [email protected] - 1.94 60' on a 90 degree day and only my second and last pass yet to date. This was with a conservative 2000rpm launch in 88 degree temps.

All runs were grannyshifted.

I am sure the Viper is faster than a lightly modded Cobra - BOTH drivers being EQUAL. On a cooler day with a better launch I will see lower 12s or high 11s hopefully.

With that said, I have many friends who powershift their Cobras deep in to the 11s with basic mods like mine had and others with slightly more (but still basic) mods that run high 10s.

My one buddy has a 03 with 2.75 pulley, K&N filter, off road mid pipe, catback, ported Eaton blower, drag radials, and a 40 shot of NOS and he runs 10.8s with an off idle launch - all for under $3000 in mods to a $30-33K car.

The independent rear suspension makes the 03s a bit tricky to launch - WHEEL HOP and broken halfshafts - Sound Familiar???

Howard

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

The little Cobras offer a lot of potential and peak hp for the money. One of the problems is, if you take a close look at their hp and tq numbers, these are ususally at the very top of the rpm curve. Look at their hp / tq at 2500, 3000-4000 rpm. You will be surprised how low it is. My personal experince with Cobras is that most don't even want to play with Vipers. The few that have "played" got a good look at my rear end, before the top of second gear and gave up. I'm certain that I'll eventually run into a highly modded / nos'ed one and he'll give me a good run. But in the end, my heads / cam etc. and 100 shot of nos are coming soon. They'll still get a look at my rear end, from a distance. There's nothing like displacement on the street.

C5 Pewter Coupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The little Cobras offer a lot of potential and peak hp for the money. One of the problems is, if you take a close look at their hp and tq numbers, these are ususally at the very top of the rpm curve. Look at their hp / tq at 2500, 3000-4000 rpm. You will be surprised how low it is. There's nothing like displacement on the street.

not sure what year SVT Cobra dyno your looking at, but it's DEFINITELY NOT an 03/04

here's a dyno pull for a stock 03 Cobra

You must be registered for see images

here's one for a mildly modded 03 Cobra 2.93 pulley,Custom tune by James,MAC Pro-Chamber,Stingers and K+N FIPK

You must be registered for see images

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

howard, i know the same guys as you i am sure, and i belive that the guy you are talking about running in the 10's with those mods is venomousjon from long island. if it isnt im sure you know him or of him, great guy, but i was at the track with him, atco last friday and he was running et's not drag radials, launching at 5500 rpm. i wouldnt exactly call that "off idle" but you are right other wise. jon didnt get into the 10's that night but darm close. his best is a 10.99 on this lightly modded cobra. with beefed up halfshafts of course. if we arent talking about the same guy then i find it very impossible to believe this after seeing jon launch at 5500 like a bat out of hell only running his 10.99 and your guy running 10.8 with the same mods off idle? Anyway why dont you come to atco, this friday. i am trying to get these cobras down too. should be good fun for the SNAKE lovers. they are great guys, we just have better cars LOL.

C5 Pewter Coupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i am trying to get these cobras down too. should be good fun for the SNAKE lovers. they are great guys, we just have better cars LOL.

Better cars, YES you do.. your Viper is setup as a sports car from the get go, the Cobra is based on a 25+ yr old fairmont platform that SVT has really beefed up.. but then again, taking the cost difference, your "Snake" better be a better car.. the only thing that makes ours unique is what's between the fenders...

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bradenton 2 weeks ago 3 03Cobra's were running the best I saw was 12.6 with DR's and cat back. Not bad.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

update on the spanking i gave my friends svt. He staged 1/2 car head of me and had the break i sill beat him by 3 car lenths.

I did not use my nos or mr dragradials or my vec2 (no race gas)

see ya

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

C-5 Pewter Coupe,

About a week ago, I attended a Mustang / Saleen show held at the Saleen Plant in Irvine, CA. The S-7's are neat cars. Also, there were oh, maybe 250 Mustang Cobras. Many of them proudly displaying their dyno charts with numbers and a list of "mods". None of them looked anything like your post. Are these numbers supposed to be at the rear wheels? Do you really expect us to believe that a mildly modded, no NOS 4.6 is making 460 rwtq at 2750 rpm or is this photoshop? Also, power seems to drop off prematurely, another sign of NOS. Either that or James must be one heck of a tuner.

Have you seen the numbers on a supercharged Viper? Add some NOS and look again?

Great time to be alive, car performance wise.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They also weigh about 500 pounds more than the Viper, so they need about 15% more rwhp than the Viper to be as fast.
Great bang for the buck, good cars.

C5 Pewter Coupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

why can't a mildly modded 03 Cobra with a good tune(that good tune is required) make that much power? If you remember from a few months ago, the morons on Hotrod TV took an 03+ Cobra, and using nothing more than a hypertech tuner(quite crappy tuner btw) and went from about 360hp/torque to the ground to around 400, then with pulleys picked up an additional 30 or so hp, reaching I believe 427 hp to the ground, with about that much torque..
C-5 Pewter Coupe,

About a week ago, I attended a Mustang / Saleen show held at the Saleen Plant in Irvine, CA. The S-7's are neat cars. Also, there were oh, maybe 250 Mustang Cobras. Many of them proudly displaying their dyno charts with numbers and a list of "mods". None of them looked anything like your post. Are these numbers supposed to be at the rear wheels? Do you really expect us to believe that a mildly modded, no NOS 4.6 is making 460 rwtq at 2750 rpm or is this photoshop? Also, power seems to drop off prematurely, another sign of NOS. Either that or James must be one heck of a tuner.

Have you seen the numbers on a supercharged Viper? Add some NOS and look again?

Great time to be alive, car performance wise.

C5 Pewter Coupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

according to Edmunds.com, the 05 Viper is 3410 lbs(255 less than the 03/04 Cobra and the 96 Viper weights 3375 lbs(290 less than the Cobra)and the 92 Viper weights 3476 lbs.. FYI, the 03/04 Cobra weights 3665 lbs for the coupe. For top speeds, the 03/04 Cobra Cd is approx .36 for the coupe and .38 for the ragtop, the Vipers seems to range from .49 to .35
They also weigh about 500 pounds more than the Viper, so they need about 15% more rwhp than the Viper to be as fast.
Great bang for the buck, good cars.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, 455RWHP/469RWTQ are nowhere near stock SVT Cobra power numbers.
Nobody will contest how easily and cheaply the new Cobras can be modded for more power (or that they are underrated from the factory) but those are not factory stock power numbers.

And Cd only really affects top speed, and perhaps gas mileage. The speed effects of drag under 100MPH are minimal relative to acceleration.

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score

stock my cobra made 374hp-360tq SAE
with a filter and catback only it made 405hp-383tq SAE
2.8 pulley and X pipe it made 453hp-485tq SAE and ran 11.74 at the track
I ported the blower and it made 498hp-483tq SAE
30 shot n20 I made 530hp-550tq SAE
50 shot n20 I made 553hp-576tq SAE

I have many friends on this board with vipers and Ill be the first to admit that from a stop with a good tire, the Cobra has the advantage but once you are over 100mph, no chance for the Cobra. The viper will WALK no question. Even just headers on the viper will beat most 03-04 cobras unless they have a blower upgrade such as the whipple or Kenne Bell

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

update on the spanking i gave my friends svt. He staged 1/2 car head of me and had the break i sill beat him by 3 car lenths.

see ya

Why is it that there's so very few videos (with a Viper) out there on the net of this kind of races :confused:

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

see ya

Why is it that there's so very few videos (with a Viper) out there on the net of this kind of races :confused:

I am more into racing than taking vids but i got a check from his wife for 100 bucks that says in the memo " d beat brian" its framed and hanging LOL

vd..

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

see ya

I am more into racing than taking vids but i got a check from his wife for 100 bucks that says in the memo " d beat brian" its framed and hanging LOL

vd..

Lol, I would be too but how about taking a passenger with you next time so you can focus on the racing and let him/her handle the video shooting part :2tu: ?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

see ya

vd..

Lol, I would be too but how about taking a passenger with you next time so you can focus on the racing and let him/her handle the video shooting part :2tu: ?

extra weight and saftey reasons
vd..

Grey03Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hello all,

I'm new to this site, and although I don't own a Viper yet, I do own a modded 03 Cobra, so I thought I'd share my .02 with you on it's capabilities.

Bone stock, the car dyno'd 373rwhp and 381rwtq, and I ran a best of 12.77 @ 111

Once I added a CAI, Bassani X-pipe, and Cat back, I dyno'd at 412rwhp @ 414rwtq, I didn't run the 1/4 mile in this trim.

Next I added a 2.80 upper blower pulley, Bassani headers, and a dyno tune. In this trim the car dyno'd at 483rwhp and 503rwtq. I ran a best of 11.24 @ 124 on BFG DR's.

Currently I have swapped blowers and now run a Whipple 2300AX, with 55lbhr injectors, Kenne-Bell Boost-a-pump for increase fuel flow, as well as a Spec 3 clutch and Fidanza flywheel. In this trim the car has dyno'd 612rwhp and 632rwtq (I have also replaced the pistons with some JE dished pistons and a .020 hone/bore). I have not had the chance to run the car at the track, because I am currently in Iraq and I didn't get a chance to take it to the track before I deployed. Other cars with this set-up have run well into the 10's though.

Here is a vid of some Kenne Bell Cobra's at the track.

http://66.230.217.253/videos/KB%20blower%20compilation.wmv

I also would like to say, it is my future goal to own a Viper GTS. I have driven a few, including an ACR, and there is no meaner looking brute on the street than a Viper. Even my current paint scheme on my Cobra was heavily influenced by a Viper I saw on the street one day. I've come to this site to gain a bit of knowledge on the cars so I know what to look for when I make my purchase.

You must be registered for see images attach

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score

my car has gone 11.74 with those mods and that silver viper in the vid has gone 11.7 also so it is a tight race. His mph at the track is 3mph faster.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth