08 Paint Issue ????

PET SNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone else notice how easy your car chips ?
Why dont they put some paint on these thing's..very poor paint job...
Im having road block put on car next week.:dunno:

PET SNAKE.........:(

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having owned 5 new Saleen's in the past, I can tell you that Saleen paint jobs are NOT known for their greatness. However those were painted in Cali, where as the new 08 Vipers are painted with the old Ford GT paint booths. The Ford GT paint is awesome.

Probably too much sand on the road in IL, thus not a fair comparison.

Luna C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having gone over every square inch of the paint with waxing and detailing I would say that the paint is the most consistant I have had on any vehicle. An excellent job with application.
I have had one very small chip from road FOB (just behind the clear bra on the hood :( ) but got the Lanka Kit to deal with it.
All in all very impressed and satisfied with the finish.
Just my 2c.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else notice how easy your car chips ?
Why dont they put some paint on these thing's..very poor paint job...
Im having road block put on car next week.:dunno:

PET SNAKE.........:(

What else is new? My 2003 has more chips than red paint left on it! Worst paint job I have ever seen. There have been quite a few posts in the past on this subject and DC never stood up to the plate and rectified the problem with a new paint job. The owners manual states that there is no warranty for chips. A real joke on a $90,000.00 car. My 1988 Ferrari has more miles on it and zero chips. Go figure!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What else is new? My 2003 has more chips than red paint left on it! Worst paint job I have ever seen. There have been quite a few posts in the past on this subject and DC never stood up to the plate and rectified the problem with a new paint job. The owners manual states that there is no warranty for chips. A real joke on a $90,000.00 car. My 1988 Ferrari has more miles on it and zero chips. Go figure!

Agreed! My S2000 has 23000 miles on it and still looks brand new!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having owned 5 new Saleen's in the past, I can tell you that Saleen paint jobs are NOT known for their greatness. However those were painted in Cali, where as the new 08 Vipers are painted with the old Ford GT paint booths. The Ford GT paint is awesome.

Probably too much sand on the road in IL, thus not a fair comparison.

Really? I had heard that they were supposed to be superior. Also with a $18,000 paint option on the new Saleen Extreme's, I assumed that they were good at their job. Worse or the same as the Viper overall?

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, my 2006 has a few chips on the front facia and I detail the hell out of this car. Nothing seems to protect it. I am starting to give up and not worry about it.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Really? I had heard that they were supposed to be superior. Also with a $18,000 paint option on the new Saleen Extreme's, I assumed that they were good at their job. Worse or the same as the Viper overall?"

Two simple words: Ah.........NO.

I have two special paint cars from Saleen. I had a factory 97' S-281 Extreme Rainbow Cobra Speedster and the paint ($11,500 at the time) was NOT perfect. This car Saleen painted themselves. The other is a 95' S351 "Mystic Edition" Speedster, which was owned and the giveaway car for BASF. I still own this car and it was painted ($20,000) by BASF, (for Saleen prior to car delivery) is all factory documented as original, etc. This car's paint is perfect.

The later Saleen colors of Lizstick Red, Beryillium, etc. they had LOTS of problems with. No orange peel, so they looked very good that way, but very poor paint quality as they would chip extremely easily, flake, etc. They just could not stand up to driving outside. If you had a problem, then they literally had to paint the whole car again because they could not get the shading correct. It was a nightmare.

Of course, this was for made cars in Cali. I can not comment on the cars out of MI.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Really? I had heard that they were supposed to be superior. Also with a $18,000 paint option on the new Saleen Extreme's, I assumed that they were good at their job. Worse or the same as the Viper overall?"

Two simple words: Ah.........NO.

I have two special paint cars from Saleen. I had a factory 97' S-281 Extreme Rainbow Cobra Speedster and the paint ($11,500 at the time) was NOT perfect. This car Saleen painted themselves. The other is a 95' S351 "Mystic Edition" Speedster, which was owned and the giveaway car for BASF. I still own this car and it was painted ($20,000) by BASF, (for Saleen prior to car delivery) is all factory documented as original, etc. This car's paint is perfect.

The later Saleen colors of Lizstick Red, Beryillium, etc. they had LOTS of problems with. No orange peel, so they looked very good that way, but very poor paint quality as they would chip extremely easily, flake, etc. They just could not stand up to driving outside. If you had a problem, then they literally had to paint the whole car again because they could not get the shading correct. It was a nightmare.

Of course, this was for made cars in Cali. I can not comment on the cars out of MI.

Wow, I learn something new everyday. I would have never thought.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 259 miles on my 08 SSG coupe. Huge paint issue with the rocker covers. Chipped like a 60k mile daily driver Paint looks but has no durabillity HELP ME!

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You want to see a BAD paint job........just look at a new Corvette.......the worst paint in the industry! My 05 Comm. Edition has a hands down GREAT paint job........it's clear bra'd and not one chip to date! About 6K miles.......

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many window tint shops have the ability to apply 3M paint protectant films. Give your local shop a call as it's worth the small investment to protect that finsh. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang