1:18 Bumble Bee Model Pictures! It exists!

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Caught fire? :omg::dunno:

What were you smoke'n? :rolaugh::lmao:

Sitting - The model I used was a Bburago and sitting it beside a Auoart it looks about right in size.

Triple - Nice looking little car! That is awesome! I gather the bigger car is the 1:43 car? Never noticed how big it is!:lmao:

As for the wing, I will have to see if I still have my template. I believe I ditched it as it caught on fire during the model build!:wow: Was not pretty!:D

Robert

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the good stuff!;)

No, you need to heat up the plastic to be able to form it. Apparently on the LAST bend making the wing, i let it get a little too hot.:D:rolleyes:

Robert

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you do the wing? I've actually been trying to figure out how to mold the rallye hood for a 1972 Barracuda - all the hoods you find are AAR hoods. But I have no idea where to even start, besides buying a sheet of the plastic at a hobby store. Did you heat it/melt it? What did you use to build the mold out of? Did you use an oven or just a torch of some kind?

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff - I gather you are doing a plastic 1:24 model?

Yes, I purchased a sheet of plastic at the hobby store, cut out the shape I envisioned, then used a regular lighter about .5" away and heated it till it was shapable, then formed with fingers. The resin is fairly flexible when warm/hot.

Robert

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, 1/24th, and a few other things. I have some "round taillight" cudas that I want to build to look like my 73, as well as a Plymouth Roadrunner that I want to drop a Gen II Viper GTS motor into. It was actually supposed to be a "father-son" custom-build-off competition that just never materialized. But I have a 70's Roadrunner with a modified frame, motor mounts and radiator bracket, custom-built exhaust using plastic rod which I heated and formed by hand (actually bent some of it around magic markers for a smooth bend) and bought Viper GTS Blue paint from Testors (couldn't believe they actually had the color!) for the body. It's far from finished (no time, ambition) but I'd love to get back to it someday.

I imagine that building a hood complete with hoodscoops could be rather difficult. I've considered basically building a mold out of wood or foam, but again - not high on the priority list.

The REAL challenge I haven't figured out yet is how to build WHEELS. I REALLY want Gen II Viper wheels in 1/18th scale so that I can build a perfect replica of my Viper - much like you have!

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, doing body panel fab is REALLY hard. Once took a GM club cab pickup, sawed off the club part, fabbed that ONTO the Dodge Ram 3500 reg cab to make a Club cab dually ram to match the one my dad had. HUGE job. Never ended up finishing the painting of it as I got involved with the 1:1 scale models (and lack of ambition!)!;)

If you do make it, please post pics!

EDIT: Did you check to see if you could still buy the 72 Cuda kit? I know they stopped making them awhile back but I believe they are still available. PM me if you need some help finding the model. I may still have a few connections from when I used to competitively build model cars.

Robert

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EDIT: Did you check to see if you could still buy the 72 Cuda kit? I know they stopped making them awhile back but I believe they are still available. PM me if you need some help finding the model. I may still have a few connections from when I used to competitively build model cars.

Robert

Robert,

Thanks - as a matter of fact, I have THREE round-taillight Cuda models now. I bought one on Ebay a while back, and then a matter of weeks later, my dad found two additional unopened models that he had bought from when he owned a '72 340 Cuda. I believe the one I bought is actually a '74 model, but there were no differences between the 73 and 74 (I own a '73 in "1:1" scale.)

I actually gave up modeling to pursue Nitro-methane R/C cars, but after sinking $800 into a Nitro TC3 kit and STILL couldn't keep up with the "pros" at my local track (back when I lived in Allentown, PA) I said "Forget this!!!" I do however hope to get it running (haven't started it in 3 years so it's probably shot) and take it to Carlisle with a Viper GTS body painted to match my Viper.

And then, yeah - first the 'Cuda and then the Viper... 1:1 is MUCH more fun (and honestly, not that much more expensive!!!)

Jeff

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see 8 different bu(m)blebee's in one of my showcases ...

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one true bumblebee in 1:43 and one 100% yellow GTS, still undecided if I will take the latter to the body shop for a second time to have my paint guy add black stripes, lol (true story in the making, not fiction!).
Might do a DIY attempt at painting them but I need to find some masking tape and paper in scale 1:43 first, hehe.

I can see 8 different bu(m)blebee's in one of my showcases ...

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not use black electrical tape like I did on the car in this thread?:dunno:

Robert

Too big and bulky... I DO want my diorama display to look faithful ya know ;) There is a special kind of masking tape that professional model builders use, it looks the part and is thin enough to satisfy my never ending attention for detail :D
Now if only Truescale Miniatures would monkey the new 1:18 set of equipment that GMP Diecast released into 1:43 I would be extatic!

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now true attention to detail would be to USE the elecrical tape! On my car (the real one) you can alctually feel a big bump where the stripes are!;)

Robert

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now true attention to detail would be to USE the elecrical tape! On my car (the real one) you can alctually feel a big bump where the stripes are!;)

Robert

Yea well ok, in 1:18 the electrical tape would work for the stripes... what I am trying to tell youse is that it won't work in 1:43 as far as realistic feeling goes ;) For that scale the bump electrical tape provides is too big of a bump to "feel" realistic for 1:43, that's why I need to go to my local hobby store and buy a roll of masking tape that is normally used by plastic scale model builders to "mask off" areas on a model where they don't (yet) want the paint out of their airbrush gun to hit the model.
It will work out awe-striking, you just wait and see! I knows I gots the right feeling, just need to work it out :headbang:

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ITV - Cut the the electrical tape in half thickness wise.:D:D:D

:poke:

:lmao:

I am just bugging you. I know it will not work for 1:43.:D

Robert

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Robert

The process to do it with painted stripes is sooooo time consuming its not even funny. Taking the time to mask the cars off takes a good 1-2 hours each.

Here's some of the customs I have done over the years.

You must be registered for see images attach

The "cores"

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The process to do it with painted stripes is sooooo time consuming its not even funny. Taking the time to mask the cars off takes a good 1-2 hours each.

Do you perhaps know from experience what I am talking about in regards to the masking tape and where to get it in the color black?
The only "colors" I know of are see-thru or white.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave