1" bung with LC-1

Discussion in 'Tuning' started by Bird325, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Bird325

Bird325 Viper Owner

About to install an Innovate LC-1 in my '01 GTS. The kit came with a 1" tall bung for the Wide Band O2 to be installed in. That seems like an awfully tall bung.:confused: If I use it, the tip of the O2 sensor will be at the edge of the exhaust flow at best. There was something that I read on the Innovate site that implied that the 1" bung was for high performance/muscle cars.

Anybody on here with any knowledge of whether or not I should let the tip of the sensor not be well within the exhaust flow?

2. Viperless

Viperless Viper Owner

I don't understand the performance/muscle car thing. I've used the LC-1 on a 496 c.i. big block chevy, my Roe supercharged GTS, turbo 4-banger, etc. Installed them all the same way with the tip well in the exhaust stream. The sensors are prone to overheating so the 1" bung might be used for that reason if it's installed in a location that puts it close to an exhaust port or turbo outlet.

I installed mine in the elbow just before the CAT in my GTS using a standard bung. Never had a problem.

3. Jack B

Jack B Enthusiast

That is fine, I have the same on my Gen II. I actually have an extension on a non-viper turbo car. That is due to an issue with the pcm setting codes.

4. Toma

Toma Viper Owner

Is it the cast aluminum "heat sink" looking bung??

Innovate has/had a problem with heater control and burning out o2 sensors, and this is the reason they came out with the heat sink.

I prefer the tip in the exhaust stream, but life span with the Innovate will be compromised.