170mph and parts are falling off ***!

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just flushed my complete brake system and thought I would try it out. As me and my buddy (Vette) merged onto the highway we decided to get on it a little bit.

As I was hitting around 170mph (closed course) that little V shape piece for the air-intake on the hood seperated and the top 2" portion flew off! ***!

Anyways does anyone have one of these laying around they would like to come off resonable??

Also the Speedo seems to stop working around 120-130mpg any solutions for that?

1999 GTS Matte Black.

Thanks!

-Tim

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking about your NACA duct? It flew off?! :eek:

As for the speedo, start at replacing the sensor in the transmission. Did it start working again when you slowed down?

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that stupid piece fly off too and it broke in two...

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Timnineside:2993961 said:
...we decided to get on it a little bit.

....As I was hitting around 170mph...

170 is "getting on it a little bit"? :eek: I'd hate to see your definition of all-out, haha.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tim....... your speedo must have been working up to 170mph ?

Did you just lose the rear 2" lip-border of that NACA duct? [ Not offered or sold seperately when new....]

Well I just flushed my complete brake system and thought I would try it out. As me and my buddy (Vette) merged onto the highway we decided to get on it a little bit.

As I was hitting around 170mph (closed course) that little V shape piece for the air-intake on the hood seperated and the top 2" portion flew off! ***!

Anyways does anyone have one of these laying around they would like to come off resonable??

Also the Speedo seems to stop working around 120-130mpg any solutions for that?

1999 GTS Matte Black.

Thanks!

-Tim

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that was one of the reasons the GTS-R cars did away with the NCA duct, I believe they found that at high speeds air was not forced through the duct?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think that was one of the reasons the GTS-R cars did away with the NCA duct, I believe they found that at high speeds air was not forced through the duct?

If I recall correctly, the faster the GTS-R went, the air would deflect thru, then above the NACA. At that transition point, the drag was worse than the gain, and since the -R was at 150+ a LOT...the NACA was blocked for an under-car pickup.

Tim above found the transaition drag spot!

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GPS said 170 and said I may have been speeding, and my buddy (Behind of course) in his corvette was doing 160 and I was still pulling away.

Anyone have a part number/supplier on the sensor for the speedo??? I will search it here and see what I can find!

And YES it is that 2" piece.

And hahahahaha on the Paint job joke. When your car is as fast as mine you can't have paint it just slows you down!!!! :)

As always thanks for the help!

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My only problem at 170+ is that the front end suddenly lifts. No parts fly off though. I'm sure the bike rider behind me appreciates that. Lol. I'll never go that fast again.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put in a Roe front fascia air duct. When I had my 1999 GTS my front end started to lift at about 125. The installation of the air duct eliminated the problem and dramatically increased front end stability at high speed. I do not know whether Shawn makes the part anymore. However, if you install it, you will have to cut a hole through the bottom of the front fascia and be even more careful how you park the car during straight in parking where there is a parking stop. I liked the way it looked unpainted.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive hit between 150 and 160 a few times but have not had it up to 170, (or if I have, Ive been looking straight ahead, not at the speedo) :( I guess you have some long straight roads :)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel much more comfortable with a splitter on the front when going above 140. I've felt what I think is lift in a street Viper at 140 or so......too much going on to be completely clinical and sure about that.....but if you plan on 160, 170 or beyond, you might want to consider something that'll provide front end stability. It may feel OK but a dip or a bump could cause an unexpected and unpleasant result!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epYSODOOWXY

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put in a Roe front fascia air duct. When I had my 1999 GTS my front end started to lift at about 125. The installation of the air duct eliminated the problem and dramatically increased front end stability at high speed. I do not know whether Shawn makes the part anymore. However, if you install it, you will have to cut a hole through the bottom of the front fascia and be even more careful how you park the car during straight in parking where there is a parking stop. I liked the way it looked unpainted.
I've been looking for one but don't know if he makes them anymore. I don't see them listed on the site

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in the 99 we have pinned the speedo and never an issue, no lifting up front either BUT I do have the Roe duct as well

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive hit between 150 and 160 a few times but have not had it up to 170, (or if I have, Ive been looking straight ahead, not at the speedo) :( I guess you have some long straight roads :)

Yes, Yes we do!!!

We have a lot of really long strait roads!

Anyways I have had this viper to 130+ a few times. I noticed it wanted to lift and get real light almost everytime. After I lowered it springs/caps that was Never a problem again!!!!