18 speaker stereo?

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the Viper magazine they show a preliminary list of options, including an 18 speaker audio system.

Where do they plan to put all those speakers?

In my thinking, overkill would be 3-way speakers on each side = total of 6; plus a sub behind each seat, now we're u pto 8, then- just for fun, Fiero style headrest speakers, two per side. That is still only 12 speakers.

Where will the other 6 go?

Maybe that was in error in the magazine :) Or maybe it will be the SEMA edition Viper ;)

~Jay

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the Viper magazine they show a preliminary list of options, including an 18 speaker audio system.

Where do they plan to put all those speakers?

In my thinking, overkill would be 3-way speakers on each side = total of 6; plus a sub behind each seat, now we're u pto 8, then- just for fun, Fiero style headrest speakers, two per side. That is still only 12 speakers.

Where will the other 6 go?

Maybe that was in error in the magazine :) Or maybe it will be the SEMA edition Viper ;)

~Jay

It's not an error. In the GTS there will be an option for an 18 speaker system with a subwoofer under each seat :omg:

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
two subs per seat.... so where will the other fourteen speakers go?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure this really clears anything up...but I took this pic at the VCA NY Gala with my phone

You must be registered for see images attach

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just get the biggest kick out of car manufacturers placing tons of speakers in cars when only basically four would be needed if done right. Instead of putting a bunch of second rate speakers why not place 4 high end speakers (amp of course) for the best sound? Oh, that's right, the general public is ignorant and the more speakers and the more watts the better. Silly me. Just makes me laugh my head off. I think my wife's Challger SRT-8 has more speakers than I can count and they all ****. Suppose to be a billion watts or some garbage marketing ploy like that. It has some Kicker piece of crap also. Sorry to break it to some, but watts and number of speakers means very little. Sorry, just an audiophile ranting.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just get the biggest kick out of car manufacturers placing tons of speakers in cars when only basically four would be needed if done right. Instead of putting a bunch of second rate speakers why not place 4 high end speakers (amp of course) for the best sound? Oh, that's right, the general public is ignorant and the more speakers and the more watts the better. Silly me. Just makes me laugh my head off. I think my wife's Challger SRT-8 has more speakers than I can count and they all ****. Suppose to be a billion watts or some garbage marketing ploy like that. It has some Kicker piece of crap also. Sorry to break it to some, but watts and number of speakers means very little. Sorry, just an audiophile ranting.

I agree 100%. I have always felt that the available listening area of a cars interior, being inherently small, can only benefit from a reasonable number of well-placed, quality speakers. Throw the Vipers "voluminous" cockpit into the mix and the listening area shrinks even more. Perhaps that is their logic with this 18 speaker configuration - If you can't dazzle them with fewer quality speakers, overwhelm them with mediocre quantity. Can't wait to hear how this sounds either way.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree that people think that more is always better when it comes to speakers and that often is not true. Depending on the source material, a good stereo setup will often sound fantastic but I have also heard a 256 channel setup that blew me away. The thing is, in cars, when they give a speaker count, they count the drivers so two mids and two tweeters would count as four speakers leaving nothing for a sub if you were to stick to a "four speaker" system. The acoustics in a car are typically horrible as well and ideal speaker placement for imaging is usually not going to happen. In my cars I typically stick to pretty basic front, rears, and a sub. With two way speakers that would end up counting as nine drivers and with three ways, thirteen. In one car I had fantastic success running a center channel and five subs as well and using a processor to be able to adjust the delay so it would be optimized for any seat I selected resulting in pretty damn good imaging for a car.

I do have to agree with you though, people often think more is better when often times the additional drivers do nothing but make the imagining worse. As far as watts goes, I'll take my McIntosh 4x50 amp over a Sony Xplode 4x200 amp any day. Good clean under rated power will blow away 1% distortion garbage any day of the week

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The six 6"x9" woofers are interesting. It will be interesting to see how well they make bass. The current design with a sub between the seats doesn't quite work.

Car audio is a fascinating subject. I'm really impressed with how they can get such cheap components to sound so good on many new cars. Then the art of calibration to make it sound good in the driveway, and while you are on the freeway takes some doing.

What does seem strange on the Viper is that it has 18 speakers... same as the Jeep. If 18 are needed in the Viper, wouldn't the jeep need 36? ;)

~Jay

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have yet to hear an automotive audio system that impresses. Of course I have $27k in my home system so I'm a little biased. ;)

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have yet to hear an automotive audio system that impresses. Of course I have $27k in my home system so I'm a little biased. ;)

Best was when I changed out stock in my 05 Ford Five Hundred. I put the best Denon head unit I could find (not even sure they make car audio anymore) and used 4 German "Canton" speakers (not sure they do car audio anymore, but I still have the speakers I took out when I traded) along with a JBL sub and two amps (one for the Canton's and a seperate for the JBL sub). Simple 5 speaker system that sounded flat out perfect--the car was made to be very quiet which helped... The stock in my new Avalon isn't bad--just good enough to not make me change...