19" WHEELS... yet another question

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
19\" WHEELS... yet another question

19" HRE, im considering them. I want to fill out those **** wheel wells. I know the ride is supposedly somewhat rougher/stiffer. how bad is it? My main concern is does the increase in tire size affect the vehicle in any way other than cosmetic and comfort of ride? reason i ask is when I upgraded my mercedes to AMG 17", cruise control went out and had other minor tech problems until i found compatable sizes for the benze computer to recognize, will this happen with the viper? (not cruise as obviouly it doesnt have it, but other problems)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 19\" WHEELS... yet another question

If filling out the wheel wells is what you want, have you considered lowering the car?

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Rick. I love my 19" HRE 540's and get a lot of compliments (to say the least) about them. I saved my 18" wheels for track events so I don't have to worry about chewing up my HREs. I also lowered my car an inch and really haven't had any problems with the 19" wheels or the lowering. You can ask anybody that has seen my car and they will tell you it looks awesome.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My GTS has Eibach springs which lowered it about 5/8. I think the "problems" you may be referring to are a change of alignment specs and of course more limited clearance.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Realize that by putting on larger diameter tires to fill out the wheel well gap you will also raise the car. Larger diameter tires and lowering the car back to stock height might be the best bet. 19" wheels with stock diameter tires will not change the wheel well gap.

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ive heard too much about lowering being detrimental to performance on vipers, quite a thread here on forum actually so ive decided to avoid lowering

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do the eibachs. I finished my car with 18" 543's and the eibachs lowered the car to the PERFECT height!! The gap is gone. Perfect symetry all the way around. I couldn't be happier!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

I'm going to wait for the 24" HREs that will come out for the SRT-10 Ram truck and mount with 05 aspect ratio tires to fill my wheel wheels! Who needs rebound clearance as long as you have the biggest wheels. Do you think StopTech will come out with a 20" rotor big brake kit so I won't have a big gap between the wheel and rotor? Do those bigger wheels weigh more and add more unsprung weight or does the weight eliminated by the smaller aspect ratio tire offset it?
laugh.gif

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Larger wheels are not just for looks - although they look much better. Why do you think Dodge went from 17" rims to 18" in 1998. The new 2003 model will have 19" rims from the factory.

Your StopTech brakes don't even work with the older 17" rims and my 19" HRE rims and tires weight less than the factory 18" wheels.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anthony - 98 GTS:
Larger wheels are not just for looks - although they look much better. Why do you think Dodge went from 17" rims to 18" in 1998. The new 2003 model will have 19" rims from the factory.

Your StopTech brakes don't even work with the older 17" rims and my 19" HRE rims and tires weight less than the factory 18" wheels.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dodge went from 17" to 18" in 1999 not 1998.
I believe the 2003 has 18" front and 19" rears.
StopTech makes a Viper big brake kit that fits the 17" wheels.
If larger wheels are not just for looks what are they for and why do you think Dodge went to larger wheels? Do you think they derive better performance? Fact is that the smaller wheels with a higher aspect ratio tire provide better performance. Ever notice a F1, Cart or IRL wheel/tire combination. How about Nascar?
As far as your 19" HREs weighing less than stock Viper 18"s I hope you never hit any serious potholes or you'll wish you still had your stock 18"s.
You missed the point of my original comments which is that bigger wheels beyond a certain point don't make much sense as they compromise performance, decrease real world road durability, safety and ride. OEM manufacturers and after-market suppliers love them because they cost big $s new and when replaced due to damage. The tire manufacturers love them also since they require lower aspect tires that cost more and need replaced sooner due to shorter mileage lifespan. Bigger is not better beyond a certain point performance wise, and I don't think they look better either due to the increased gap between the wheel and rotor.

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does anybody have pics of 96-97 blue with white stripes GTS with 540 HRE's on it ? I would really like to see it because I was considering putting them on mine.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the Eibach Lowering Springs and I haven't had any performance problems. All of my friends have them on their Vipers as well.....no problems from anyone. I actually think that lowering your Viper would solve your problem.

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

are there any springs that will lower the car, but not increase stiffness? my 02 gts is strictly a street car and i think the 18" wheel combo with stock springs is just stiff enough to not get on my nerves when driving the car every day....

imo, there is a huge difference between the ride with 18" and 19". and yes, if you plan to do any urban driving make sure you have spare cash for new rims and torn tire sidewalls...

just the voice of experience

alex
02 gts
few other cars

ps: i had eibachs on all my other cars, but even though they were two-stage coils, they still increased the stiffness..