1995 Viper Corroded Brake Booster

Discussion in 'General Viper Discussion' started by pieceofchum, Jun 17, 2017.

1. pieceofchum

pieceofchum Enthusiast

Hello I am making an offer on a 1995 Viper tomorrow and noticed that the brake booster is a little corroded. Not sure if this is a typical problem with these cars or something I should be more concerned about. I am planning on just replacing it but is there anything else this could impact that I should also check.
    20170608_181901.jpg

2. ViperJohn

ViperJohn VCA Member - Northeast

No, I'd be more concerned about the loose connectors in your picture.

3. pieceofchum

pieceofchum Enthusiast

The loose connections were from the guy trying to get the car going since the battery died and so the alarm wouldn't allow him to start the car again. He was trying to charge the battery from the front. The car is running fine now and the brakes work fine too. I have not seen others with a corroded brake booster before is this common have you seen this happen before?

4. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

Not common from the standpoint of people mentioning it on the forums. I can not recall anyone saying anything about it. My best guess is that the brake reservoir cap fell off and brake fluid blew back onto the booster. Brake fluid will remove paint, and then the metal corrodes if not treated. Just a guess, though.

5. ViperDefender

ViperDefender Enthusiast

I was originally thinking stored in rain, or somewhere moist? But spilled brake fluid makes sense, that is nasty stuff and can damage finishes.

-Travis
    getupandgo.blog

6. Brass Monkey ACR E

Brass Monkey ACR E VCA Member - Great Lakes

If interested I have a NIB PB boost unit
    PM me if you or anyone else is interested
    $225+ shipping