1996 GTS - need more power, any suggestions?

finnsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, I would like to stick with NA tune, no turbos or SC's at this point. I took the car to the dyno and I got solid 450hp out of the bone stock motor with 8K miles on it.

Now I'm looking to get some more hp's out of the engine. Are there any well known, dyno proven packages available? Head/cam swaps? How far will the stock 96 internals hold up?

Any suggestions on where to look at. I'm hoping to get over 600hp with nice tq curve.

TIA

Jay

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more knowledgeable guys will correct me if I'm wrong, but 600 hp at the crank is going to require heads so when you add it all up you are talking $20k. That is why less than $10k for a blower installed to make even more power is so attractive.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah...I had the same desire until I talked to a few well-known tuners and realized the costs to stay NA are a lot more than simply slapping on a Roe S.C. Try giving Dan at Viper Specialty a call. Also try, Dan at DC Performance, Wizard at Tator's Dodge, to name a few, for more detail about your NA aspirations. As for head work, try Greg Good Cylinder heads.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If it is a 96 , with low miles, do the simple stuff , and make sure you keep all the stock parts. A stock 96 will bring more money now than any modded car, so keep that in mind concerning changes. Headers, exhaust and gears will light the car up, and be relatively reasonable, price wise, and give you a good solid 500hp --- 3.55s will make it feel like more.

Best of Luck!

Bill P
Woodhouse

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You could buy a stroker motor. Hennessey did ported heads, cam. headers exhaust TBs, 1.7 rockers etc for 600bnp (not rwhp) n/a. I believe his was the only 'recognized' large volume package.

Otherwise call a know Tuner. M2 motorsports, etc. Most are site sponsors.

Ted

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hennessey did ported heads, cam. headers exhaust TBs, 1.7 rockers etc for 600bnp (not rwhp) n/a. I believe his was the only 'recognized' large volume package.
Ted

Yes, Henessey sure is recognized around here...:rolleyes:

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
go FI or stay with what you got, i have a 96 with a 5# Roe and headers, hi-flows, cat-back...its not nearly enough and I am at 550rwhp.
by the time you build a good N/A motor you might as well send your car to UGR and put on a paxton. your wont even notice a 30-50 hp jump, you gotta go big or just stay with what you got.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can do the following

- Greg good heads
- Greg good cam
- Vec 2 or 3
- M&M Performance headers
- a cat back exhaust of you choice
- 1.7 rockers

This has proven to get around 600 RWHP.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can help you as my old GTS won a few Mopar Atl Nat titles on motor alone .First of all DONT tell me RWHP numbers(which can be manipulated) instead tell me your trap speed on STOCK tires in the quarter(no way to alter that )All in all if you have a worked GTS you should be able to trap 131 plus(motor alone) on stock tires and pump gas.I sent you a PM with my phone number.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS also keep in mind if you really want to make the kind of power to trap over 131 in the quarter COMPLETE top ,bottom end engine plus gears ect you will spend way over 25 grand to do it right =great parts.DONT EXPECT to get a nickel of it back in resale ,pass emissions ect.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
give your car what works give it a supercharger roe or paxton you will be verry happy and you can return it to stock when ever you want headers,rockers,heads,exhuast, tb's, cam, all 60-100 hp $10,0000. dollars in parts. 1000. to 3000.00 in labor getting 200. horses with a supercharger for about 5000. 8000.00 pricless for everything else thers master card lol

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more knowledgeable guys will correct me if I'm wrong, but 600 hp at the crank is going to require heads so when you add it all up you are talking $20k. That is why less than $10k for a blower installed to make even more power is so attractive.
Exactly it sounds crazy but by the time your done with all the mods and BS you can almost buy a used Gen 4 which will have a full warranty ,be just as fast and a ton more streetable.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you just happen to know of one that can be stolen, for the mid 60's. Yea, that's the ticket.:lmao::lmao::lmao:
True on all points LOL.In all serious ness to make that kind of power in a Gen 2 is a pain in the rear on motor alone because your fooling with the CAM (loss of vacume ,emissions issues ,streetability ect )

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heads cost about $5,000. Add to that shipping and taxes, then installation cam, springs, lifters, pushrods and 1.7 rockers. Looks well over $10,000 already. Headers and exhaust $2500-7500 (Mopar kit).

OR... $12,000 for 8# Roe supercharger, MSD fuel pump voltage booster, water/****, and catback exhaust, installed and tuned complete. 598rwhp/644rwtq or call it 700+bhp

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a power adder you will get more power BUT there are some drawbacks as well (esp if you are considerating road racing or running the car hard in HOT weather )Its not only the heads and rockers but you need throttle bodys,airbox and filters ,cam,some sort of DFI (DYNO TIME to tune )headers ,exhaust ,intake manifold work,a top end gasket kit,rear eng gears.The above includes only top end components .My old fully worked nat asp Gen 2 ran really well (132 mph trap speeds on stock tires and pump gas )over 25 grand into the motor later (and thats with Nick at Modern giving me a hugh break )

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still confused about how you know the car made 450hp. Are you talking RWHP out of the hole in stock trim? Damn...that is more like 520hp...

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can do the following

- Greg good heads
- Greg good cam
- Vec 2 or 3
- 1.7 rockers

This has proven to get around 600 RWHP.

This is agreat setup. It's very similar to what I have on my Gen1, although I had to add more to make it closer to a Gen2.

I would bet that you could get this setup done, installed and tuned, for $10K or less.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is agreat setup. It's very similar to what I have on my Gen1, although I had to add more to make it closer to a Gen2.

I would bet that you could get this setup done, installed and tuned, for $10K or less.
What will the above set up yield trap speed wise in the quarter mile running stock tires on pump gas in a Gen2

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What will the above set up yield trap speed wise in the quarter mile running stock tires on pump gas in a Gen2

I'm not sure, as I'm not much of a 1/4 guy. I would say that the torque curve should be fairly flat, with a typical Viper tail off on torque near the upper RPM range. At least that's how the dymo looks on mine.

hardtop

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Add it up more like 12-13k.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add it up more like 12-13k.

Exactly ,probably more like 15000 when you add ALOT of missing parts NEEDED TO MAKE POWER (throttle bodys ,airbox, intake manifold work,gaskets,dyno tuning time ,oil,plugs,)

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure, as I'm not much of a 1/4 guy. I would say that the torque curve should be fairly flat, with a typical Viper tail off on torque near the upper RPM range. At least that's how the dymo looks on mine.
To me at least when i bought my package on my Gen 2 to compete with a dyno number was nice to have but the ultimate goal was to make the car faster as i mentioned earlyier BUY FAR the best judge of this is trap speed at the end of the quarter mile.Over the years i have had people produce dyno sheets of Na Vipers claiming NEAR 600 RWHP yet the car was no where near a 130 mph trap speed while my cars dyno number was only 565 RWHP and i was trapping 132 .Nick at Modern has a funny saying,I have yet to see a dyno number win a race yet.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg good heads
- Greg good cam
- Vec 2 or 3
- 1.7 rockers

i like that setup but id guess its more like $15k + and just shy of that 600rwhp mark but a GREAT way to go and a good setup for later if you decide to boost it. dont do anything without talking to greg good though, he will teach you a bunch and knows his stuff. greg goods phone number is 713-290-1103

but if you "think" you might boost it, you probably WILL so make sure to plan accordingly, cause it DOES make a difference in the setup !!!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like that setup but id guess its more like $15k + and just shy of that 600rwhp mark but a GREAT way to go and a good setup for later if you decide to boost it. dont do anything without talking to greg good though, he will teach you a bunch and knows his stuff. greg goods phone number is 713-290-1103

but if you "think" you might boost it, you probably WILL so make sure to plan accordingly, cause it DOES make a difference in the setup !!!
Basically it comes down to the compression ratio(either milling heads or different pistons) if you decide to boost or not .Other factors rear end gears =having the right ratio for the intended horsepower to be made ect If you want to stay NAT ASP and get the most out of it of coarse your going to have to do the bottom end and as of know thats big money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R