1996 GTS Oil Capacity Changes... Why?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Here's one for the Viper Gurus....

Although I'm sure it's been discussed before, (I can't find it in the archives) why did Dodge list the early GEN II engines as having 7.5 quart capacity and then change to 8.5 quarts? Was it a typo in the manual that they later corrected or did they change the oil pan mid-stream to increase the capacity? The TSB 26-09-96 that noted the change came out in Sept. of '96 and my 11/12/96 build GTS has a addendum to the owner manual referencing the increase to 8.5 quarts. I personally find that I can't get more than 8 quarts in the beast no matter how long I let it drain, regardless of angle.

If there was a pan change, are the two identifiable externally?

Thanks</FONT f>

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Jefferson was a wise man.

My grandfather had an interesting bit of cowboy wit along similar lines:

It ain't what you don't know that makes you ignorant, it's what you know - that ain't so - that does it.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I recall there is a TSB that deals with Dipstick Part numbers. Really. (As Jon B. Says.... the year matters!)
You must be registered for see images
One way to change the amount of oil in an engine is to move the mark on the dipstick.......... Only a guess..... but maybe the later dipstick has the mark in "the right place" to get 8.5 qts in? I also recall something in an older issue of Viper Mag on the topic too.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
It ain't what you don't know that makes you ignorant, it's what you know
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh heh heh! Ain't that the truth. Being an engineer, I find that it often applies to me as well. Much to my wife's chagrin, it's difficult to tell me I'm wrong.