1999 viper 18 inch rear rim. New suggestions needed.

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for the stickiest tire for the street. (Straight line, 1999 viper, 18 inch rims)

Now I have a Roe charger and a lot of wheel hop when I attemt to move out quick. Evern second gear feels like the car is coming appart unless I part throttle it, riding the verge of tire slippage.

It has a Dyno of circa 630 rhp.

Any recommendations of a slick or a street tire that would fit my use, on a 18 inch rim?
No rain driving or cornering.

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS is the exact tire u must have...........M/T ET STREET RADIAL P345/35R18 M/T catalog # 3788R Its all I put on the rear of mine and stick like glue. great in rain, drag racing and hwy driving......all with 29 lbs of air.......I buy them from JEGs and the slow boat to China for the cheapest shipping is still usually about 4 days or 3........I Love this tire.......

Where is the best place to order the MT Drag Radials?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy will even vouch for this tire on the "Twisties". He was burnin' up the Dragon on DR's. Drove it up from FL in the rain too.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chip, I didn't think you even noticed my ole clunker, ha........................this year we will be back with its baby brother....the little 1000 h.p. HEFFNER.......again I put the M/Ts on it immediately to keep it on the road.......I guess by now you figure I must like this tire, huh ? lookin forward to another AWESOME time in Tennessee ..........we havin fun yet? ha

Roy will even vouch for this tire on the "Twisties". He was burnin' up the Dragon on DR's. Drove it up from FL in the rain too.

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
THIS is the exact tire u must have...........M/T ET STREET RADIAL P345/35R18 M/T catalog # 3788R Its all I put on the rear of mine and stick like glue. great in rain, drag racing and hwy driving......all with 29 lbs of air.......I buy them from JEGs and the slow boat to China for the cheapest shipping is still usually about 4 days or 3........I Love this tire.......

How many miles do you usually get out of them if you don't mind me asking?

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do those MT's really get good traction in the rain? They look like they have no water grooves? I had some BFG Drag radials but they were not to good in the rain. I am looking to get a new set of rears also. How are they cornering a bit and on high speeds? Any floating feeling with the soft sidewalls?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely not. M/T's are horrible even on damp road surfaces. The compound becomes greasy/slippery when damp, such as when you are doing a burnout at the track. Any higher than 40 mph and the car will spin out if the tires are wet. Not good for high mph cornering, either.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the best tire for all around performace? Great stickness, able to drive in the rain and still able to corner decent? Any ideas? I am leaning towards the Toyo's?

You are seeking a tire that doesn't exist. Nothing as sticky as a drag radial will work well in the rain, there has to be compromise somewhere.

Best drag radial that can be daily-driven would be the Nitto NT555R. It is okay in rain if it isn't worn down. Not so good at handling, but not as bad as most other drag radials.

My favorite street tires are the Nitto Invo and Michelin Pilot Super Sport. But, neither hook as well as drag radials do. Toyo R888 and Nitto NT05 are somewhere in between, but still won't hook like drag radials do.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are seeking a tire that doesn't exist. Nothing as sticky as a drag radial will work well in the rain, there has to be compromise somewhere.

Best drag radial that can be daily-driven would be the Nitto NT555R. It is okay in rain if it isn't worn down. Not so good at handling, but not as bad as most other drag radials.

My favorite street tires are the Nitto Invo and Michelin Pilot Super Sport. But, neither hook as well as drag radials do. Toyo R888 and Nitto NT05 are somewhere in between, but still won't hook like drag radials do.

Hah figures, I always want it ALL! lol Oh well. I may just stay out of the rain and buy the MT's instead.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Nitto 555R drag radial is probably the best DR for cornering as well. I run it on stock rims and it has no sway in the corners like the BFG and MTs do. At 660 rwhp is sticks great too.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Nitto 555R drag radial is probably the best DR for cornering as well. I run it on stock rims and it has no sway in the corners like the BFG and MTs do. At 660 rwhp is sticks great too.

Oh man, just when I think I have made my decision, you make me question which one to get again lol.

So it is either the MT's or the Nittos lol, I really didn't like the BFG Dr's whatsoever, great for straight line launch but not much other than that, she swayed to much at high speeds!