2008 ACR! What Series Will Allow It?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would like to know where the new ACR can be expected to compete based upon rules?

2008 LeMans?

2008 ALMS?

2008 Rolex?

Other???

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCCA - GT1 - the Vette guys will definately have a letter writing campaign tohave it barred from T1.

NASA - Depending upon hp/weight ratio Supe Unlimited or ST1

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SCCA - GT1 - the Vette guys will definately have a letter writing campaign tohave it barred from T1.

Thanks. I wish there was info posted from Dodge as to whether it can or will run in GT1.

I think this ACR would be awesome in some near-stock class of racing, where few other cars could match it in near-stock form. That would really show how great the car is.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Expect added weights and at least a 50% intake restrictor on our new ACR before they let it play with the others.:rolleyes:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much of the ACR's increased performance comes from the tires they are fitted with.

It could easily have its prowess reduced by specifying tire size and compound.

Dave T(BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car in stock form could always run in HPDE through NASA. As far as a competitive series some safety items (roll bar, etc) would be needed for NASA super unlimited.

I'd love to roll that car out in front of my NASA friends!! I'll be doing CMC next year.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why can't the 2008 Viper ACR run in the Rolex GrandAm GT class? The Corvette C6 is allowed??? I copied the new 2008 rules (published 11/08/07) and it notes the following:

GT REGULATIONS​
General Class Explanation and Purpose
[FONT=Arial,Arial]The GT class for 2007 will be comprised of two distinct preparation methods, all designed to have cars at a similar competition level for GT class racing.
[/FONT]Prep 1 Unibody GT - [FONT=Arial,Arial]This category is reserved for production cars with little or no modifications. Grand-Am will define each car separately and specify modifications individually.
[/FONT]Prep 2 Semi-Tube GT - [FONT=Arial,Arial]This category is for cars with modified production or tube-frame chassis. They may be front-wheel drive cars converted to rear-wheel drive or they may be cars that require physical modifications to be competitive in GT. Specified tube-frame construction is allowed. Alternative engines from the original manufacturer may be approved.
[/FONT]SECTION 1 - APPROVED MODELS

1-1 Approved Models
[FONT=Arial,Arial]- Grand-Am has developed these specifications for competition automobiles that will participate in the category titled "GT". Cars must have been in production for road use or meet homologation criteria, and have been/or be for sale to the public in a regular dealer offering. Approved models, unless otherwise stated are to be current production models or those no older than three years after the end of production.
[/FONT]1-2 The following cars are recognized as eligible models.
[FONT=Arial,Arial]1-2.1 Acura TL prep 2
1-2.2 BMW E46 prep 1
1-2.3 BMW M6 prep 2
1-2.4 Chevrolet Corvette C5 prep 1 or 2 and C6 prep 1 or prep 2
1-2.5 Dodge Stratus Coupe prep 2
1-2.6 Ferrari 360 Challenge prep 1
1-2.7 Ferrari 430 Challenge prep 1,prep 2
1-2.8 Ford Mustang prep 2
1-2.9 Infiniti G35 prep 2
1-2.10 Jaguar XK8R prep 2
1-2.11 Lexus IS350 prep 2
1-2.12 Lexus SC 430 prep 2
1-2.13 Maserati Trofeo Coupe prep 1
1-2.14 Mazda RX8 prep 2
1-2.15 Mercedes CLK 430 prep 2
1-2.16 Mercedes SL prep 2​
1-2.17 Nissan 350Z prep 1 or 2
1-2.18 Pontiac GTO, G6 GXPor Grand Am prep 2
1-2.19 Porsche GT3 Cup 2005 prep 1
1-2.20 Porsche GT3 Cup 2006-2008 prep 1
1-2.21 Toyota Celica GTS prep 2
1-2.22 Toyota Solara prep 2
[/FONT]

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get enough of them and convince the SCCA to start a ACR class

From a driver's standpoint, I'd agree that would be terrific. But from a fan/viewer's standpoint, they want to see all these ultra-high-performance cars go at each other.

Something is terribly wrong with the leadership of sports car racing, if you have all these awesome cars being built, and yet nobody can figure out rules and a series to showcase them and build the appeal of the sport.

Just think of how little there was to work with 20 years ago ... race organizers would have killed to have the kinds of cars that are being built today.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine rules for Grand Am do not allow motors larger than 8 cylinders, that is why the Comp Coupe has never been eligible since day 1.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine rules for Grand Am do not allow motors larger than 8 cylinders, that is why the Comp Coupe has never been eligible since day 1.

If they had any brains they would open it up to ten cylinders, It's marketing. The whole class would become more exciting. Lets face it, the majority of "American RACE" fans have always been stuck on roundy round racing. Allowing more American muscle into a series just makes it more viable and exciting for the fans. Heck, I did'nt own a Viper back in the late nineties, we owned a Vette, but I was glued to any broadcast of the Viper/Vette battles. When the Vipers went away I stopped watching, and I was a Vette owner!

The most interesting class would be stock production vehicles as produced by the OEM. No restrictions, no weight penalty B.S. or restricted motors. Bring it on boys Z-06, ZR-1, ACR, Ferrari 430 , Porsche GT-3, Ford GT, etc. No kissing a$$ to the OEM's, let's see who's king. Don't tell me people would'nt watch it. All someone has to realize is that the entire Net is full of people bench racing their brand against others. How many people give a hoot about ALMS or SCCA, maybe 1%. As I said, I stopped watching racing about eight years ago. What's the point, I can't relate any of it to my car.

Why do you think drifting became so popular, as well as import drag racing. It's what kids (the next generation) relate too. Organize a new sanctioning body, because the others are just like our politicians. Start fresh and run the series I mentioned, let's see who will get all the TV ratings.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab, don't kill the messenger :) I don't make the rules, I just have to play by them. I wish there were more people like you who have a passion for road racing. It just isn't a great spectator sport. Nascar is popular as one can see the entire race from one vantage point. It is more spectator friendly. Laguna Seca (argueably one of the most famous track layouts in the world) once can only see a handful of turns on a 2.5 mile road course, depending on where one is seated. Spectators want to see the entire track, not just a few turns. Sad, but true :(

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab, don't kill the messenger :) I don't make the rules, I just have to play by them. I wish there were more people like you who have a passion for road racing. It just isn't a great spectator sport. Nascar is popular as one can see the entire race from one vantage point. It is more spectator friendly. Laguna Seca (argueably one of the most famous track layouts in the world) once can only see a handful of turns on a 2.5 mile road course, depending on where one is seated. Spectators want to see the entire track, not just a few turns. Sad, but true :(

You are 100% correct with regard to viewing the race from the track. Let's not forget though where the real dollars are coming from, advertising! To me road racing IS the most exciting form of motorsports to view on TV. I personally love Drag Racing, but it does'nt translate well to TV. Nascar is well Nascar, but there is nothing like what the camera can do for road racing, it's amazing. Now put the series together that I'm talking about, and people will go nuts. Advertising dollars will fly in and the lucky OEM's will actually win on Sunday and sell cars on Monday! Let's get this going, I see an opportunity here.

xlr8ion

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine will be used for HPDE with NASA and other groups in the Phx area.I can hardly wait to start replacing those $600 tires.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they had any brains they would open it up to ten cylinders, It's marketing. The whole class would become more exciting. Lets face it, the majority of "American RACE" fans have always been stuck on roundy round racing. Allowing more American muscle into a series just makes it more viable and exciting for the fans. Heck, I did'nt own a Viper back in the late nineties, we owned a Vette, but I was glued to any broadcast of the Viper/Vette battles. When the Vipers went away I stopped watching, and I was a Vette owner!

The most interesting class would be stock production vehicles as produced by the OEM. No restrictions, no weight penalty B.S. or restricted motors. Bring it on boys Z-06, ZR-1, ACR, Ferrari 430 , Porsche GT-3, Ford GT, etc. No kissing a$$ to the OEM's, let's see who's king. Don't tell me people would'nt watch it. All someone has to realize is that the entire Net is full of people bench racing their brand against others. How many people give a hoot about ALMS or SCCA, maybe 1%. As I said, I stopped watching racing about eight years ago. What's the point, I can't relate any of it to my car.

Why do you think drifting became so popular, as well as import drag racing. It's what kids (the next generation) relate too. Organize a new sanctioning body, because the others are just like our politicians. Start fresh and run the series I mentioned, let's see who will get all the TV ratings.

I agree, the more different cars the better and more exciting. I would sure like to see a close to stock class, but you cant go all OEM, have to at least allow tires, and something for the vettes so they dont break. But then someone would pwn everyone else and people would start dropping out if they couldnt find a way to win.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, the more different cars the better and more exciting. I would sure like to see a close to stock class, but you cant go all OEM, have to at least allow tires, and something for the vettes so they dont break. But then someone would pwn everyone else and people would start dropping out if they couldnt find a way to win.

Racing teams who are serious abouot winning will pick the car that has the best chance of winning the series. Professional teams don't buy a race car and then find a series to race in. They pick the series first then buy the most competitive car within that series. That situation is currently taking place right now in Speed World Challenge. One of the oldest and most respected Viper teams has dumped the Comp Coupe for the Cadillacs. Many of the original Viper Racing League racers for whom the first series of Comp Coupes were built for have or are in the process of selling their cars and switchnig to Corvettes or other cars that are more competitive in the series. If people are spending big bucks to race then they want a chance to win, not just compete in a Viper. The rules do not favor the Comp Coupe at the moment in World Challenge.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay guys,

A) I'm talking about "STOCK" cars, not the Comp Coupe or the Cadillacs.

B) Let's say it's a three race series for again "STOCK" cars.

C) Races to be run in the 2nd qtr of the year.

D) Only mods would be roll cage and safety gear period!

Believe me, this thing marketed right would be all over the net. Advertisers would eat it up and OEM's would showcase their products. I realize this is difficult to comprehend when we've all been brainwashed to think within the so called fair and equitable racing box. Anyone who's raced knows it's all a political sham anyway. Look at NASCAR. I love real racecars, but there's something really exciting about watching a car you could buy off the showroom floor take battle.

In my mind taking a car that's mechanically superior and handicapping it with weight or power restrictions is counter to racing in the first place. It's got to be painfully restrictive to a teams moral. Oh you won, that's not fair to everyone else......let's add 100 lbs. It's about as interesting as bracket racing in the Drag Racing world. I say "run what you brung" and seperate the men from the boys. REDSLED don't get me wrong, at least your out there road racing your car and using it to it's potential. I applaud you, I just want to see some real action with real showroom cars.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for Viper Days, it looks like Super Modified or Unlimited. You better bring your "A" game~ ;)

Let's hope we don't see a bunch of novices bring these cars right from the showroom! I would hate to see them go home all balled up!

Strike that last comment...what I meant to say is...the best thing you can do as a novice in an ACR is go directly from the showroom to a Viper Days HPDE, and learn the limits and get a feel for the car with a well qualified instructor at your side!

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So the Viper is so fast that they have to run 50% intake restrictor plates?

That means that, like the 69 Charger Daytona and Superbirds, the Mopars are so fast that they're not allowed to play with the "Big Boys".

You'd think that the Ferraris, Lambos and Maseratis would be fighting against any restrictions that prove Dodge is Too fast for them to compete against? Why not just give Dodges a time penalty forcing them to start at the back so that all those other guys can have a chance - and the world can actually see that there is NO competition for a Dodge built to win? Like the Hemi, I guess everyone knows that Dodge is KING!

Can someone send a note to the vette forum explaining why there's no Too fast Vipers for them to race???

Ted