2012 Keeneland Concours d'Elegance

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
http://www.keenelandconcours.com/

July 21 2012 will be this year's Keeneland Concours d'Elegance at Keeneland in Lexington. I've been (as have some others on here) the last several years as a Paddock participant with the nonjudged area.

This year I've been fortunate to have my Viper selected to be shown in the "Future Classics 2000 - Present" class against 5 other amazing late-model exotics.

Just wanted to put the notice out there, in case anyone was interested in coming. This is your 2-month advance notice!

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bump for 2-week notice.

I'm in Concours-prep mode!

You must be registered for see images

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck Shine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I could be there. They put on a great show every year.

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks!

The class I'm competing in (I've been told unofficially) will have:

2003 Ferrari 360 Spyder
2011 Porsche 911 GT3 4 litre
2012 Ferrari FF
2011 Mercedes SLS AMG
2012 McLaren MP4-12C

and of course my little go-kart
2010 Dodge Viper ACR Roadster

So the competition will be stiff. I need as many people as I can to stuff the ballot box!

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Schedule works for Saturday. Are we going to have a club parking area?

There was last year, but that'd be a question for Stretch. He usually lets them know to hold an area. We only had 3 last year there.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great! I'm glad there will be an area again because someone (me) forgot to email them back in the spring. Doh!

Good luck Shine!

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Glad I found this thread, some good tips:2tu:

Haha, thanks, I've planned to post the whole thing up on this forum too, once I'm done with it. Figured I'd air it out a little (as I do the prep) on another forum before throwing myself to the detailing wolves, though.

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, thanks, I've planned to post the whole thing up on this forum too, once I'm done with it. Figured I'd air it out a little (as I do the prep) on another forum before throwing myself to the detailing wolves, though.
I have a black vert and I constantly battle to keep that thing looking clean! Just started using the detailer with the black tint to try and remove some of those light scratches, ever tried anything like that before?

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a black vert and I constantly battle to keep that thing looking clean! Just started using the detailer with the black tint to try and remove some of those light scratches, ever tried anything like that before?

What one in particular are you using? I've used the Turtle Wax Black Box on my black Charger SRT-8 and had good results with it. As with anything that "fills" the scratches though, as it wears off over time, the scratches come back. Depending on what you're working with, you may be looking at a full on paint correction, which will round out the scratches to remove them permanently, at the cost of a little bit of your clearcoat.

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What one in particular are you using? I've used the Turtle Wax Black Box on my black Charger SRT-8 and had good results with it. As with anything that "fills" the scratches though, as it wears off over time, the scratches come back. Depending on what you're working with, you may be looking at a full on paint correction, which will round out the scratches to remove them permanently, at the cost of a little bit of your clearcoat.
Yes, thats the same product I am using. "Turtle Wax Black Detailer". Only used it once so far, seems to work pretty well. May try the whole kit they sell for detailing black cars. I think its a multi-step process from what I quickly read.

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looked at the ADAMS website, they seem to have some pretty good products there also. Looking for a good engine/engine compartment detailer and process. Seems like the boars hair brush with general purpose spray cleaner and fan spray may be the best way to go? Any ideas for the engine?
You must be registered for see images attach

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out detailedimage.com. They have some nice write ups on how to deal with engine bays, wheels, paint, etc.

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never tried Zaino will look it up. Detailedimage.com now added to favorites:2tu: Some good info. Noticed they mentioned the 303 aerospace protectant, have used that before on my boat. I know that stuff works pretty good. Thanks for the input.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem. Some great info on there that is detailed enough for the amature detailer. A friend of mine has followed those instructions and his black Infiniti looks really nice.

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looked at the ADAMS website, they seem to have some pretty good products there also. Looking for a good engine/engine compartment detailer and process. Seems like the boars hair brush with general purpose spray cleaner and fan spray may be the best way to go? Any ideas for the engine?
You must be registered for see images attach

Adams makes some good stuff. What are you looking to clean up in the engine bay? Leaked fluids? General dustiness? All I usually use is just detail spray, a towel, and a brush to get into nooks and crannies. Look up Junkman2008 on here; he lives in Louisville but is on many car forums and is an Adams and detailing guru.

One example of his:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/654133-How-The-Junkman-Removes-Bird-Dropings-and-Love-Bugs

Ever try the Zaino product line??

Zaino has some really good stuff; I love their tire gloss and leather cleaner. Their polish is like a chemistry kit though -- you have to mix things in the right proportions, have limited time available, and it just generally turned me off to them after I had a professional detailer go over how exactly you have to use it.

Check out detailedimage.com. They have some nice write ups on how to deal with engine bays, wheels, paint, etc.

That's a great site! Makes me really realize how little I know.

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just looking to do a general cleaning of the whole engine and compartment. Bothers me when the engine itself is clean, then you look under to the areas you cant reach and see dirt and dust buildup in certain areas (especially from those days getting caught in the rain!!). Was hoping that some cleaners out there could breakup that dirt enough to simply rins off with a fan spray nozzle. I think that lug detail brush from adams would work really well for some of those tight areas if the cleaner could break it up. Maybe even the wheel cleaner attachments for a drill would be good to reach down in those tight places. Raining every day here! Looking forward to pulling the car out giving it a good cleaning!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
shine...with your extrodinary effort prepping a beautiful (and most unique) car....we're counting your Beast to win a BIG trophy !!! Best of luck, Dude !!!

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just looking to do a general cleaning of the whole engine and compartment. Bothers me when the engine itself is clean, then you look under to the areas you cant reach and see dirt and dust buildup in certain areas (especially from those days getting caught in the rain!!). Was hoping that some cleaners out there could breakup that dirt enough to simply rins off with a fan spray nozzle. I think that lug detail brush from adams would work really well for some of those tight areas if the cleaner could break it up. Maybe even the wheel cleaner attachments for a drill would be good to reach down in those tight places. Raining every day here! Looking forward to pulling the car out giving it a good cleaning!

Yes, the Mothers Powerball comes in a small version with an extension that I find really useful in lots of places (especially exhausts), but would work well in the engine as well. You might need a 2nd extension stick though, to get deep into the engine!

Mine:

As for what to use, have you tried Simple Green? I have a GT500 friend who swears by it, and uses it on his engine a lot. Just make sure not to get any on the alternator! I've seen people wrap that in aluminum foil when they do heavy detailing (or even hose-spraying) their engine bay.

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
shine...with your extrodinary effort prepping a beautiful (and most unique) car....we're counting your Beast to win a BIG trophy !!! Best of luck, Dude !!!

Thanks, Steve! Even if I don't get a trophy this time, it's been a lot of fun preparing for it and documenting it.

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, that the exact setup I was lookin at today to clean the engine. Noticed that sponge said polish. Think that will work with simple green to clean those areas? Thanks again for all the input, really appreciate it!!:2tu:
Good luck with the show! Sure you will make the Snake proud:headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, that the exact setup I was lookin at today to clean the engine. Noticed that sponge said polish. Think that will work with simple green to clean those areas? Thanks again for all the input, really appreciate it!!:2tu:
Good luck with the show! Sure you will make the Snake proud:headbang:

Thanks, and yes, I'm sure it would work fine with Simple Green. Just remember, Simple Green is very concentrated! Dilute it with water as per the instructions on the side, and you'll probably have no problem getting the engine clean. Let me know how it goes!

OP
OP
S

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Show's over, lost the class to a Ferrari 599 GTO (winner) and a Ferrari FF (runner-up). Still had a blast though. We had 4 other Vipers in attendance. Huge crowd, perfect weather, lots and lots of jaws dropping over the ACR Roadster. Most-heard comment: "I thought all ACRs were hard-tops?!?!?"

Some shots from other photographers:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.333644653388877.79430.278441488909194&type=1

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up with the wipers in the first picture?

Wish I could have gone to the show, the pictures online looked great.