2012 SRT Viper Cup Round Three (3/4 of Lap One)

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That driver is the one who posted the video. I think he is doing good other than the damage to his car. Sorry to see the loss but I am glad you are alright. Hopefully it can be rebuilt.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
David, was a pleasure meeting you and your crew.

I'm very glad you're ok, that incident looked horrible. It's a good reminder to those running on fast tracks like Road America about how important safety gear is.

Hopefully I'll get to watch you race in-person at the next cup event...

- Keith

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David,

I am glad we talked on Saturday night. I know how it feels and it doesn't feel good. I know you wanted that car for a long time but it can be replaced, YOU CAN'T. I hope your bruses are starting to feel better, hope to see you back at the track before too long. You have to get back on that horse. It was surprisingly easy for me after my crash at Sebring three years ago but you will get back on the horse. Best of luck and see you soon.

Steve Loudin
USGT #007

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
David glad you're alright buddy. That looked scary to say the least.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Really glad you are okay and just goes to show how Road America can bite even the best. You have numerous wins there and folks often ask you for advice on this track --- thank goodness for sturdiness of the ACR-X and really great you are okay . Obviously you are getting back on the horse since you posted this, not sure many would have had the fortitude to watch the video? Hope we all see you back racing in the near future.

Best Regards,
Bill Pemberton

Stan Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, glad we got to text back and forth yesterday and you are not hurt from that incident. I know you and know your competitive spirit. If you are itching to get back in a car, and that one is beyond repair....maybe they will let the VIN transfer to your other car for New Jersey? Just a thought.

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got home past midnight last night, and I haven't had access to a computer, so I haven't even able to respond; I'll add more later today or tomorrow. Just let me say that was the most violent accident I've ever been involved in...period. Nothing close.

The upside is I'm 100% ok. Heck, I was soliciting rides for Sunday's race.

I fielded at least 50 calls and 100s of texts, FB responses, and emails yesterday; thank you very much. I'll add more gory details of the event piece by piece...

I did take my hands off the steering wheel prior to impact, which probably saved me some broken bones. I remember the hit into the wall, several hits when the car was cartwheeling, then when the other car hit me. The next thing I remember is the safety crew telling me to get out of the car, and the next is being in the medical facility at the track answering questions. Not much else from when the car shot right until I was released from the medical facilities is remembered.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
--- thank goodness for sturdiness of the ACR-X and really great you are okay .

Ditto!! You can't believe the condition that X was in when they dropped it off in the paddock. And a bit later David walks by looking like he just suited up and was ready to hop in another car. Amazing. Simply amazing.

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ditto!! You can't believe the condition that X was in when they dropped it off in the paddock. And a bit later David walks by looking like he just suited up and was ready to hop in another car. Amazing. Simply amazing.

I was, and am regretting not racing on Sunday...

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sorry to see, but grateful you are okay!!

Absolutely could have happened to anyone. As you said, thank goodness for the safety of the ACR-X.

Can't wait to see you back on the track, but please be sure to get completely checked out .... that had to ring some bells for sure.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Cat-man"- he has nine lives! Or "Lucky Dave". That little shunt at Lime Rock wasn't a sleeper either. Or am I confusing with another driver? Dave, I don't think you should've raced on Sun..when we spoke after the wreck you didn't recall the impact with wall, the flips or the impact from other car. Slight concussion for sure!

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As promised, I'm adding things as they come to my mind and I have time (I do have to work, ya know!)...

The biggest emotional part of the this is the support I have recieved from so many directions. VCA members, SRT/Dodge, the NARRA gang, Internal Combustion Group, people who were spectators at the track; it's been close to overwhelming, but very, very much appreciated.

I must have fielded 50+ calls on may way home yesterday. Many were top-level pro drivers who I have met, or know of me because of this incident. So many have shared with me similar experiences: wrecks were they screwed up just a tiny bit that have dramatic effects. The overwhelming message was that this happens to everyone. The line "there are two kind of racers: Those who have wrecked, and those who will wreck." applies.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David...so glad to see yoh are ok. That was a pretty horrific crash. If there is anything we can do for you we are just a phone call away.

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On safety equipment and wrecking...

I keep telling my wife, who really doesn't want me to race, we're are safer in these race cars than our passenger cars. What I experienced Saturday is proof of that. She'l counter with, "But you don't drive 105 MPH on the highway." True, but I do go 75 MPH, and if I hit a cement barrier at 75 in my Lexus, I'd likely be dead.

The work that the SRT engineers did on this car is quite remarkable. I have pictures of the wrecked car, and while the fron and rear are smashed in, the passenger compartment is still intact. The cage did its job!

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another thought...

What made this incident "spectacular" and "violent" also helped reduce the injury to me. I jsut got an email from the father of a former SCCA racer who wrecked on the outside of Turn 3 in 2009. His son's accident was not nearly as violent, but he was very seriously injured. The difference is that when he hit the cement wall, the car stopped. When I did, the car started its gymnastics. Those flips helped reduced the amount of energy my body absorbed.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More cudos to SRT, you know, the front looked like a Smashburger and nothing penetrated to passenger compartment...which was so intact the windshield survived! No fire even. Amazing really. Dave, you have an angel on your shoulder .. SRT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R