2012 Viper model was introduced at Orlando, Fl.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone that was at the meeting confirm that the photo released by road and track is NOT the gen 5 concept?

Rest assured that pic is not the GEN V viper. I believe even in the article it states it's "R&T" idea of whst one would look like.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But in all seriousness they should take 3-4yr hiatus, during that time race the GEN V in all the race series ie leman, alms, sebring, etc...with a bit of disguised panels and then bring out the car, this way when it hits the streets it will have claim to fame in winning and dominating all of those prestigious races! and they can charge an arm and a leg!
While I'd love to see Viper come back to ALMS to compete in GT2 w/ the Corvettes, that doesn't exactly make business sense. Gee lets take a company that just went bankrupt, then take a car that nobody is buying right now, then spend millions to go racing only to develop a new car and bring it to market at sell a few grand a year max....

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..."A rear mounted transmission (as they've mentioned in some of these articles) would go a long way to improving ergonomics and the interior not to mention weight distribution..."

Can't wait to see some real shots.

You mean a 48f/52r isn't good enough...:lmao:

A Viper is not nose heavy. Unlike what most people "think" 50/50 is not the perfect weight "balance" 45/55 to 48/52 is! You need a little extra weight in the rear to plant the rear tires in corner exits. You also need that little extra weight in the rear to help with breaking. Ever feel a car get light in the ass when you stomp the brakes. Ever try to take off fast in a pickup? It ***** because it doesn't have enough weight in the back.

On a positive note....this might be the Viper that gets me out of a Gen 2 GTS. I like my cars just the same as my woman: World Class performer, with **** curves.

Last edited:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The full size mock up shown in Orlando was not "driven" in. It was already on stage when the curtain opened. I believe that it probably represented what could be called a late stage investigative effort of the Gen V Viper for the 2013 model year. That is the only thing that makes sense based on the time it takes to fully develop a new Generation. Time lines can only be collapsed so much. The approval for the car, based on Herb's recent thread requesting that we provide are pro Viper comments so that he could show them to managment, must have occurred at the end of August or the first week of September. So what the dealers saw must have been the mock up ( I am assuming there was one because how else could they have approved production without one?) shown at the product meeting. Nothing else makes any sense.

The other cars there were "labeled" as 2013's from what the people that I talked to said

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the Viper is technically a front-mid configuration as are the C5/C6 Corvettes in that no part of the engine extends beyond the front wheel centerline.

Didn't realize they were rearward weight biased.... I do think getting that big lunk of a trans rearward will allow them to make a much more spacious interior.

I'm 6'4 and part of the reason I own 2 C5 Corvettes is simply because I fit in the properly. By propertly I mean I can heel-toe downshift and take sharp turns without my hands/arms getting into my knees.

There are plenty of people that will stuff themselves into a sportscar and fit just well enough to shift a few gears and make it the the local car cruise, but for me.... if I can't drive it around a race track w/o my body getting it it's own way then I won't own it.

This is what has kept me out of a Gen III car.... my left knee hits the dash when shifting, my hands hit my legs on hard turns, and my torso is such that I have to look down to see out of the windshield.... all of that *****... car is ****, but the driving experience *****. I don't care about getting attention or any of that... I find that annoying.... I just want to drive.

So... a rear mounted trans like the Corvette would free up Dodge to make a much more fitting interior that will fit a wider range of customers.

Oh IB4Tobligatory"butI'm6'10"andfitinaViperjustfinewithmyseatloweringkitandavatoflard" posts ;)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the Chrysler Firepower not a Viper. Note the Chrysler insignia on the grille. The Firepower came close to production but alas it was not to be.

Posted this in another thread, then saw this one.

Not sure if these are real pics of the new concept, or where they even came from. And as a disclaimer, there are some gratuitous pics that might not be appropriate for work mixed in...

theTHROTTLE: High Quality Photos of new Dodge Viper theTHROTTLE

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Do believe , as many have said , it will be a 2013 and likely debut in 2013.

Also think VOI just got hotter and there will be plenty of fun stuff to see.

Lastly , the conjecture about the new car having traction control, stability mgmt. , etc will happen as these are the government forces that will change our car. The 2010 will be, like many others have stated, a watershed machine, and frankly something we will never see again. I thank God everyday that Fiat was whom Chrysler partnered with, as we will likely have a traction control system that will completely turn off . There is no way with Daimler that would ever happen , as many have found out with SRT8 300s and Chargers. Some shared engineering from Ferrari sure sounds better than shared with Mercedes.We often see the impact of the Tifosi worldwide, and in a few weeks Sergio will see the passion of the Viperosi --- Snakes alive, we need a V10 to drive!!:drive:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Bill. I thought if you press and hold the ESC button for ten seconds it turns off completely in SRT8 vehicles. Am I wrong?

ICP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was at the meeting and can confirm that the Motor Trend mock up is NOT the 2012/13 Gen V Viper. The car was NOT driven out but rather moved out on a rotating platform.

Security was very tight so no pictures, sorry. I can tell you however that the car was Stunning! You will not be disappointed!!

Kris in Toronto

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also heard no negative comments on the new car and has the flavor of a GEN II side profile.

Bruce

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Security was very tight so no pictures, sorry. I can tell you however that the car was Stunning! You will not be disappointed!!

Kris in Toronto
Thanks for your post Kris! Can't wait to see it :headbang:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hi Bill. I thought if you press and hold the ESC button for ten seconds it turns off completely in SRT8 vehicles. Am I wrong?

Correct. Except in, as I'm sure you know, the Jeep. It only dials the TC back 10% in the Jeep.

Edit: Maybe the 09/10's are different. (Except the Jeep).

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct. Except in, as I'm sure you know, the Jeep. It only dials the TC back 10% in the Jeep.

Edit: Maybe the 09/10's are different. (Except the Jeep).

Mine turns off completely after the ten second continuous push. ( This feature is not in the woner's manual.) It even states same and provides a warning on the display. One of the interesting aspects of that is that for standing mile runs it actually ran better with it on. If you push the button less than ten seconds, it only partially turns it off. This may be what you are referring to.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the meeting and can confirm that the Motor Trend mock up is NOT the 2012/13 Gen V Viper. The car was NOT driven out but rather moved out on a rotating platform.

Kris in Toronto

the car you saw - do you feel it was just some crazy experimental design, or do you feel the design you saw was closer to being more production ready?

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is some info from MIBZ.com

Future Dodge Viper Based On Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione

The concept of the new Viper is actually an Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione with ” Viper face,” said one of the dealers. Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione is an exclusive car, available in coupe and cabrio body versions, with limited production, being also the most expensive model ever built by Alfa Romeo.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this excitment about the New Viper has me going crazy to see what they came up with. People who know me here know that I LOVE car design and Ralph is my Hero. Hands down my all time favorite car designer. I think he's a genious and I'm going nuts waiting to see what he has in store for us for the next Viper.

That being said, I'm about to release my own mid-engine supercar in a few short months. It's been a dream of mine to do such a thing and I'm quite proud of it. The car design is inspired from every sports car I've ever loved which includes Corvettes, Ferrari's, Ford GT and of course the VIPER. I've never shown it to the public but because everyone here is clamoring to see the new Viper I decided I would show my most Viper inspired section of my new car, which is the front fascia (sorry, the rest of the car can be shown in January ;) ).

Anyhow, I hope this teaser play's with your imagination. I'm as excited to see the new car as anyone even tho I'm still hard at work on finishing mine. Enjoy.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ What chassis are you basing your car on? Buiding a completely new tubeframe like the FFR GTM? That front looks really cool... I assume those indented ares will be the headlights?

Doesn't really scream Viper to me... more like RX-8 + Evo + Corvette + Panoz which is still a very good thing.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
8C is a good base starting point, though I doubt we will get all that expensive Carbon Fiber. The front end mock-up looks great. I see Saleen hood vents from the 97' and up SRs. I see a little ole Cobra look to the center section. I see great potential for that. Cross hairs have been done to death. Time to just let it open up and say ah........ to all other cars on the road. Add in some of those Audi style head lights, round out the side vents or fog light area at the sides of the grills and there you have it. It is clear your design is based off the 8C body correct? At least I see it. Got me wondering about the back.

ICP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the car you saw - do you feel it was just some crazy experimental design, or do you feel the design you saw was closer to being more production ready?

In my opinion it looked like a production car, granted no one was able to get very close to it. It did not come across as a concept...IMO it was a great mix of cues from past, present and the future. It was clearly the highlight of the presentation as far as i'm concerned.

Jeremy Walker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this excitment about the New Viper has me going crazy to see what they came up with. People who know me here know that I LOVE car design and Ralph is my Hero. Hands down my all time favorite car designer. I think he's a genious and I'm going nuts waiting to see what he has in store for us for the next Viper.

That being said, I'm about to release my own mid-engine supercar in a few short months. It's been a dream of mine to do such a thing and I'm quite proud of it. The car design is inspired from every sports car I've ever loved which includes Corvettes, Ferrari's, Ford GT and of course the VIPER. I've never shown it to the public but because everyone here is clamoring to see the new Viper I decided I would show my most Viper inspired section of my new car, which is the front fascia (sorry, the rest of the car can be shown in January ;) ).

Anyhow, I hope this teaser play's with your imagination. I'm as excited to see the new car as anyone even tho I'm still hard at work on finishing mine. Enjoy.

Wow; very impressive. Can we all throw in some 5 bucks and have you post it now ;):eater:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion it looked like a production car, granted no one was able to get very close to it. It did not come across as a concept...IMO it was a great mix of cues from past, present and the future. It was clearly the highlight of the presentation as far as i'm concerned.

Where was the exhaust on the car?

Bruce

ICP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kris,

Would you say the car more resembled the gen I/II or the gen III/IV ?

While there are definitely styling cues from both GEN's this to me is a whole new car. Wish i could draw you a picture but Art was never one of my strong points.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While there are definitely styling cues from both GEN's this to me is a whole new car. Wish i could draw you a picture but Art was never one of my strong points.

Thanks for answering our questions. There are several pics/photoshops of the car on the site are any close to them.

Bruce