2013 Concept Based on spy photo.

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is what it will look like based on the spy photo
You must be registered for see images attach

I don't think the front grill will look like the way we did it. the headlights are more stretched out.

Unfortunately it looks like a cross between a s2000 and a gtr

Last edited:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope and pray it doesnt look like that. If the GEN V has the same grill as all of the new Dodge cars, Im thinking it wont be much of a hit.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think this is what it will look like based on the spy photo

I don't think the front grill will look like the way we did it. the headlights are more stretched out.

Unfortunately it looks like a cross between a s2000 and a gtr

Very interesting analysis. From this it's easy to see I didn't draw the headlights quite right on my sketch. However in my opinion the concept we developed together looks much much better and is far more enticing than a cross GTR/S2000. I still think the new car is going to be very good looking though.

You have some outstanding edition skills by the way. My wife said we should have the pictures copyrighted, hahaha.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good Kevin...it will be interesting to return to those spy mules after the reveal to see the similarities.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks more like a Gen III / IV than a Gen II which is what people are saying it resembles. I hope you are wrong. Nice job though.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks more like a Gen III / IV than a Gen II which is what people are saying it resembles. I hope you are wrong. Nice job though.

Thanks, but as a car company like dodge why would they design something that resembles a design that was 2 generations back. I love the Gen II's and their look and stance but I would think they would evolve their design to something newer looking to the Gen III and IV. If the car was a classic 60's, 70's car like the mustang, Camaro, Corvette, or Gt40 for example then they would possibly do retro design to bring back some of the old characteristics but I don't see them doing that cause the gen I and II aren't old enough. But we shall see, Chrysler has made worse decisions in the past. IE Prowler, PT Cruiser, Neon, just to name a few. I hope it looks more like this honestly.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, but as a car company like dodge why would they design something that resembles a design that was 2 generations back. I love the Gen II's and their look and stance but I would think they would evolve their design to something newer looking to the Gen III and IV. If the car was a classic 60's, 70's car like the mustang, Camaro, Corvette, or Gt40 for example then they would possibly do retro design to bring back some of the old characteristics but I don't see them doing that cause the gen I and II aren't old enough. But we shall see, Chrysler has made worse decisions in the past. IE Prowler, PT Cruiser, Neon, just to name a few. I hope it looks more like this honestly.

Why would Porsche, arguably the most profitable car manufacturer on the planet, keep the 911 looking near the same for decades? Because it works. A car like the Viper needs to stick to its overall roots. You can add the modern touches like headlights, tail lights, etc. But overall you want to dance with the one that brung you. The gen III/IV Viper lost popularity among the general public because it was so boring and linear. The extreme curves helped define the Viper. If SRT is smart they will follow the same path as Porsche and keep the Viper evolutionary (from the original design) instead of revolutionary.

Another good example is how the new Carrera has the wider fenders like the Turbo, C4, etc. used to have. People responded so well to the increased road presence that they extended it to even the base model.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gen III/IV Viper lost popularity among the general public because it was so boring and linear.

I think this is very subjective :dunno: I like all Vipers, but it was the Gen III styling that made me go out and get one! If I'm not mistaken they made/sold more Gen III and Gen IV cars, is this lost popularity you speak of documented anywhere?

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is very subjective :dunno: I like all Vipers, but it was the Gen III styling that made me go out and get one! If I'm not mistaken they made/sold more Gen III and Gen IV cars, is this lost popularity you speak of documented anywhere?

Totally agree, I liked the Gen 1 and 2 Vipers alot, but only when I saw the Gen 3, I started saving my pennies cause I had to have one...took me 5 years but I finally got an 08 and simply love it.

Viper Garage Elite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When the VIPER first came out the car made a statement that started this whole thing. When I first saw it I was bitten bad. The curves made the car. Bought a new 01 r/t 10 and boy is it ****. Then gen 3 came out and was dissapointed, but as time went on that car became **** too. But then gen 4 came out and an ACR was making me have cravings all over again so called Bill P. and added a 1:33 #20 with some mods from Mark J. and haven't been able to wipe the grin off my face ever since. Morale of the story keep em coming and Ill be adding :drive:more snakes to the cage without EVER selling.:drive:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would Porsche, arguably the most profitable car manufacturer on the planet, keep the 911 looking near the same for decades? Because it works. A car like the Viper needs to stick to its overall roots. You can add the modern touches like headlights, tail lights, etc. But overall you want to dance with the one that brung you. The gen III/IV Viper lost popularity among the general public because it was so boring and linear. The extreme curves helped define the Viper. If SRT is smart they will follow the same path as Porsche and keep the Viper evolutionary (from the original design) instead of revolutionary.

Another good example is how the new Carrera has the wider fenders like the Turbo, C4, etc. used to have. People responded so well to the increased road presence that they extended it to even the base model.

I agree with your evolution idea. However, I do not think the Gen III/IV lost any popularity. I've taken all my previous Vipers to car shows and my Gen III gets just as much (if not more) attention as my Gen I/II got. Also, from the front almost all Vipers look the same no matter what Gen. I think it was a nice evolution from the Gen I/II. Another gradual evolution keeping the same basic style/shape would work just right. Something that says "yes, that's a Viper--just a new one."

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Porsche 911 specifically has been around since 1963 and if you look through all those years the only thing consistent are the headlights and the front and rear render. The rest of the body changed without losing it's shape but nevertheless it changed but kept the same feel or brand alive in the 911. Porsche changed those headlights only in two gens the 996 generation and the slantnose edition. The 996's don't hold value because of the headlight design most die-hard Porsche owners hate that generation of Porsche 991. So we are comparing a car that was concept-ed in 89 and was out in the 90's to a car that has had variations since the 60's. I agree with you regarding having the viper stick to it's roots but the viper brand's roots aren't as deep as the 911 brand. It's still developing.

I don't believe the III/IV lost popularity I think it revolutionized the Viper brand and design. It kept some of the styling of the coupe for example has extreme curves in the back and the front. I believe Gen III/IV design made the Gen II look dated and boring. I used to always want a gts coupe until in 06 I saw the first gen III coupe and I fell in love with the styling and the resemblances of the GEN II but revised and more refined. I think when they do come out with the GEN V the styling will be evolved from the Gen IV while still retaining the roots of the Gen II but I don't think it would be smart of them to have it look like the gen two and completely skip the GEN III and IV completely because the GEN III and IV are part of the viper brand and "Roots"

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would drive a Gen III/IV, I would own a Gen I/II because I just like the raw simplicity of it.

--RS

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was very intrigued by the 2002 GTS/ACR? but didn't pull out the wallet. I was floored by the 2003; was driving a 2001 C5 Vette/Vert at the time. Two years later the wallet came out. Same might happen with the Gen V.