2015 Z06 specs leaked 620hp/650tq

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that all one belt on there? Also, do we know anything about the intercooler tech yet that they are going to use? Is there a photo of the underside of the supercharger shown available?

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it's crazy that the thread on the Viper forum with most replies (on first page) is a thread on the new Z06. when is chrysler going to allow the PCM to be hacked so their can be some new exciting threads with pics, videos and write ups of mods including after market tuning, big non VVT cams, blowers, & TT's?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's winter in most parts of the Viper Nation. Threads like this keep some people from going crazy. LOL.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But to me, it looks like a bolt-on hodge podge that is a poorly integrated design as compared to the flowing, aggressive flowing lines of a Gen V. It looks Japanese, a cross of a GT-R and an LFA, neither if which appeal to me in the slightest. If I were to get a C7 Z06, it would be in spite of its style not because of it. It would be a practical decision,because Vettes are easy and inexpensive to mod and repair. It would not be a decision driven by passion, the Viper is the one that wins my heart.
I feel the same, and would add that at this performance level that they're even more of a bargain to buy than a Viper, and a lot more convenient for many to service as I expect all Chev dealers will be able to. I won't be considering one for my needs as I'm incapable of purchasing a sports car I'm not passionate about, and there's a lot of other lust worthy cars out there...or so I've been told ;)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have very mixed feelings on the z06. Just as another vette? Or a car that deserves respect amongst the rarer breeds? My buddy has a 2007 yellow z06 parked down the street. I couldn't give a carp about it. See em all the time in one form or another. How will this one be any differant 3 years from now?

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's crazy that the thread on the Viper forum with most replies (on first page) is a thread on the new Z06. when is chrysler going to allow the PCM to be hacked so their can be some new exciting threads with pics, videos and write ups of mods including after market tuning, big non VVT cams, blowers, & TT's?

Kris, how have you been? Anyway I was thinking the same thing this thread will have more views than the sticky about the press release images of the Gen V.

I believe you hit the nail on the head. People such as myself have not bought the new viper because of the lack of ability to calibrate the ECM, and simply modify the car. And no I don't care about losing my power train warranty. I simply want to have fun with my car and modify it when I feel the need. I truly believe SRT would sell more cars if it were easier to modify.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I bought the TA, I posted close to the same thing about the ability to modify the car. Once Nine Ball did his 10 second run and the performance capability of the car was confirmed, my concern was reduced. It is also my understanding that a positive displacement supercharger kit may be available some time within a 12 month window from a well known and trusted source. ( Just a more than passing rumor at this point.) My only other concern was whether the seat and my back would work together which they do.

After driving it for 690 miles, I am pleased with the stock level of performance. At this point, I do not see myself modding it. But, if that should change, I think there will be an off road controller coming out soon that should, like the Gen IV one did, allow for some simple bolt ons without codes being thrown.

The key thing is to try and get a test drive in one to go through the gears a bit. The car is a road racer and, as Jack and Nine Ball have mentioned, harder to launch because of the tall first gear but in a roll race, watch out! It goes from 20 to 85 in the blink of an eye. It might even go a bit faster in the blink of an eye. LOL.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I bought the TA, I posted close to the same thing about the ability to modify the car. Once Nine Ball did his 10 second run and the performance capability of the car was confirmed, my concern was reduced. It is also my understanding that a positive displacement supercharger kit may be available some time within a 12 month window from a well known and trusted source. ( Just a more than passing rumor at this point.) My only other concern was whether the seat and my back would work together which they do.

After driving it for 690 miles, I am pleased with the stock level of performance. At this point, I do not see myself modding it. But, if that should change, I think there will be an off road controller coming out soon that should, like the Gen IV one did, allow for some simple bolt ons without codes being thrown.

The key thing is to try and get a test drive in one to go through the gears a bit. The car is a road racer and, as Jack and Nine Ball have mentioned, harder to launch because of the tall first gear but in a roll race, watch out! It goes from 20 to 85 in the blink of an eye. It might even go a bit faster in the blink of an eye. LOL.

Bob, that sounds like an invitation to take your car for a ride while I'm in South Florida this weekend!!! All kidding aside I understand what your saying, but different strokes for different folks. I know the car at its current level would not be enough for me. I enjoy drag racing as well as road racing. If I don't have enough power to get me consistently ingot the mid to low 10s I'm just bored with the power. Hell I even have my caddy running 10.5s.

Hopefully SRT will release an "off road" ECM that isn't locked so we can all easily modify the car at our own will. Looking forward to seeing this blower you speak of!!

See ya this weekend Bob.

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is also my understanding that a positive displacement supercharger kit may be available some time within a 12 month window from a well known and trusted source. ( Just a more than passing rumor at this point.)

I really hope this kit actually makes it to market and is not just a rumor or years away. A roots blower at very minimum would add 200hp. Along with headers and exhaust a Gen V would be around 900hp at the crank. This would really take away a lot of the new Z06's buzz....

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Michael. In my opinion there are 3 types of performance car buyers; buyers that enjoy the performance and ingenuity that the car comes with, buyers that buy the car for barging rights and keep it as a garage queen, and buyers that want to push it to the limit and mod. All three types are fine but if SRT is already capturing the first two types but missing the last then they should fix that. I mean would it stop any one from buying the car if it was able to be modded, I bet not. But it does stop people from buying it if it is unable to be modded. Just my 2 cents

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this was posted on the corvetteforum, funny reading. ENJOY

With the following disappointing pieces of information, I have decided to pass on the Z06 and wait for the spiritual successor of the C6 Z06 (Carbon Package).

1. Supercharger. Parasitic drivetrain loss coupled with heat issues. It is no wonder that all the motorsport elite opt for turbocharging in their race applications as it is a superior technology. Ferrari, McLaren, Formula 1, Porsche, BMW....they have all gone to turbocharging. GM itself has gone on the record to state that they will be moving to turbocharging as they regard it the future. SC's are a fun power-adder (and I have one in my CTS-V) but it really is something you would expect to find in a dragstrip car (one and done) than anything else.

2. Automatic transmission. The 8L90E can upshift in 100ms supposedly. This is great. Unfortunately, there is a lot more to what makes a good transmission than how fast it can upshift. There is a lot of people drinking the GM Kool-Aid on these forums, people who fail to understand the basic principles of what separates a dual-clutch transmission and an automatic transmission. This is something, however, that the engineers at Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, Nissan, Koenigsegg, BMW, Bugatti, Pagani as well as the actual leaders in transmission development like ZF and BorgWarner agree on: a torque converter automatic transmission does not belong in a sports car.. So why did GM do it? Economies of scale. This transmission will go into Cadillacs, Corvettes, and trucks. For the sake of keeping the price down, GM has made a concession to performance. No such concession was ever made when it came to using the small block pushrod V8, so the comparison there is bunk.

3. Removable hardtop roof. Unless we are talking about carbon fiber tubs, a car derives its structural rigidity from a fixed roof. Making the roof a targa top adds weight to the worst place it can be put on a car. It also makes the chassis less rigid. Does this mean the C7 Z06 is less rigid than the C6 Z06? No, it just means it is yet another compromise.

Which leads me to believe...

GM has left something on the table.

There isgoing to be a track C7 Corvette. It will be fixed roof, it will almost certainly have a DCT, and it might even feature a turbo LT1 (LT5?), but it will almost assuredly come sometime in the next few years. And it will absolutely **** all over this Z06.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what? One mans opinion.
When this "SuperVette" comes out years down the road they'll buy that one. For now there is this one.
Ten bucks that poster owns a C6 ZO6 and is butt hurt by the C7 version.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3. Removable hardtop roof. Unless we are talking about carbon fiber tubs, a car derives its structural rigidity from a fixed roof. Making the roof a targa top adds weight to the worst place it can be put on a car. It also makes the chassis less rigid. Does this mean the C7 Z06 is less rigid than the C6 Z06? No, it just means it is yet another compromise.

Which leads me to believe...

GM has left something on the table.

There is going to be a track C7 Corvette. It will be fixed roof, it will almost certainly have a DCT, and it might even feature a turbo LT1 (LT5?), but it will almost assuredly come sometime in the next few years. And it will absolutely **** all over this Z06.

On point number 3, I have to disagree. I was at the auto show and they said the CF roof weighs 16 lbs and makes the car 60% stiffer than the outgoing Z06. Even with it removed it's 20% stiffer, and now you've just eliminated all that top weight. They had a complete Z06 naked aluminum frame on display and I could see that most of the bulk of the frame was down low. GM has managed to make this frame very stiff while still maintaining a low CoG. I dont see why GM would need a fixed roof at this point, it would require a redesign and not add much more rigidity than what is already there. I really don't think there is a noticeable compromise in this design.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Source? Credibility? Rumors rumors. I remember hearing that the C7 Z51 was going to be lighter and faster than the C6 Z06, this was spread by GM's marketing folks at Spring Mountain at the C7 launch event while I was there. Not even close. I'll believe it when I see it.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the new Z06 however my problems with it are much simpler. I think the C6 Z is a much better looking car than the base C6; the wide body conversion really changes the look. The C7 Z06 will likely be 100k and that is in the territory of the Gen V Viper SRT. The viper is just so much more exclusive that it makes it a much more attractive car. I find the base Stingray C7 to be a very aesthetically pleasing car but the fact that they will be littering the streets over the next 8 years or so just takes the allure of spending 100k faster version not attractive for me personally as it will reduce how I currently view it's design. The more you see a car, the less attractive it becomes for me...again personally. At the NAIAS, I didn't see much difference between the C7 and the C7 Z car and mostly that is because of the lack of wide body. I believe I read that the dimensions of the C7 don't allow for that this go around.

I can't drive my 500hp Gen II nearly to the limit so I don't mind much about HP. If I cared much about HP I would just have kept my 2003 Cobra and modded it for 800hp easily. I think a C7 with the exhaust and suspension option is a great value proposition and will give any owner a ton of return on investment. IF the Z06 is a bit faster than a stock Gen V SRT, I would choose without hesitation the SRT just for exclusivity alone.

The difference in performance is splitting hairs and will likely just be an issue of driver skill.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the new Z06 however my problems with it are much simpler. I think the C6 Z is a much better looking car than the base C6; the wide body conversion really changes the look. The C7 Z06 will likely be 100k and that is in the territory of the Gen V Viper SRT. The viper is just so much more exclusive that it makes it a much more attractive car. I find the base Stingray C7 to be a very aesthetically pleasing car but the fact that they will be littering the streets over the next 8 years or so just takes the allure of spending 100k faster version not attractive for me personally as it will reduce how I currently view it's design. The more you see a car, the less attractive it becomes for me...again personally. At the NAIAS, I didn't see much difference between the C7 and the C7 Z car and mostly that is because of the lack of wide body. I believe I read that the dimensions of the C7 don't allow for that this go around.

I can't drive my 500hp Gen II nearly to the limit so I don't mind much about HP. If I cared much about HP I would just have kept my 2003 Cobra and modded it for 800hp easily. I think a C7 with the exhaust and suspension option is a great value proposition and will give any owner a ton of return on investment. IF the Z06 is a bit faster than a stock Gen V SRT, I would choose without hesitation the SRT just for exclusivity alone.

The difference in performance is splitting hairs and will likely just be an issue of driver skill.
Without getting myself in HOT WATER with certain mag employees i would not bet the farm that the new Z06 (esp with the auto tranny )is not considerably faster than the outgoing ZR-1

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless SRT wants to share platform motors like Chevy and Ford the odds a blower being incorporated into the Viper platform are NOT TOO GOOD LOL.Theres no money in the budget for this car to begin with. I dont think people realize the amount of money it would take to get a 900 hp single platform motor into use .You just dont go and slap a blower onto the exsisting V-10engine .Theres so many tests it must pass (driveability ,emissions ,durability )its not remotely cost effective .Remember Chevy loses money on the Z06 and ZR-1 but the money is assumulated by the 3O K standard Vetts they sell per year (Not to mention how many other cars and truck the basic engine platorm is used on )

rollymohan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some are forgetting that Randy took the TA with slicks at mazda laguna race way and put down 130.78 against the ZR1 133.72 on michelin cup tires.This only goes to show that the viper has alot more in it.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some are forgetting that Randy took the TA with slicks at mazda laguna race way and put down 130.78 against the ZR1 133.72 on michelin cup tires.This only goes to show that the viper has alot more in it.

Wouldn't that also mean that slapping slicks on a ZR1 would likely yield similar results? Afterall it was an .1 sec difference between the TA and the ZR1.

What Id love to see is the TA, ZR1 and the G4 ACR at Laguna same day with all three on the latest MPSC compound.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't that also mean that slapping slicks on a ZR1 would likely yield similar results? Afterall it was an .1 sec difference between the TA and the ZR1.

What Id love to see is the TA, ZR1 and the G4 ACR at Laguna same day with all three on the latest MPSC compound.

Hard to say. Ralph said that the C6 Vette's improved MPSCs are faster, I think he said 2.5 seconds faster per lap than the Corsas. That doesn't seem likely because the slicks were only 3 seconds faster. But the consensus is that the Corsa is not of the level that the MPSCs are. Trofeo Rs would be closer.

Totally agree, that would be quite a race! Slap the same MPSCs on all three and have at it boys :D

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three interesting points.

The Zo6 will come in 300 lbs heavier than a SRT Viper. (Even standard Vette without the supercharger is heavier than Viper)

Automatic transmission will be even heavier, and is not a track performance tranny, but just a quick shifting slush box.

With T-Top on or off it will be no where as stiff as a Viper. Aluminum frame will flex much more than a High Strength Steel Viper frame.

Three strikes against it from the beginning. Never going to provide the driving experience as the Viper provides.

gtssnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AMEN Paul! I like all American muscle but no other car is hand built with love like our Conner Drive Viper.
Forgot to mention you live in my favorite city. I used to live in PB and have family and many close friends in SD. Sure beats the east coast.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are these Corvette forums where they trash the Viper? I've lurked in a few and never witnessed it. The new Z06 is nice, but it's a FI car...a rebadged ZR1. If it had Viper numbers stock N/A then that would be impressive. WOW, ten pages of worrying and speculation over a car that I would consider a daily driver over my Viper. I hope this car kicks the **** out of the Viper at the track and makes SRT give premature birth to the new ACR.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets