24 Hour of LeMons Drivers Needed

haroldabryan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever wanted to give a “24 hours of LeMons” race a shot? It’s an endurance race that takes place over two days for cheap crappy race cars that are valued around $500. Note: tires, wheels, brakes and safety equipment aren’t counted in that total.

Last year we built a 325 BMW and did a couple of races. This year we are picking the season back up starting with the race at Summit Point, WV (Shenandoah circuit) the weekend of June 18th. We need two additional drivers for this race. The price for the weekend is in the $600 range for a seat, which includes entry fees, Friday practice, gas, and consumables for the car – basically a driver’s share of expenses. We bring the car to the track, you show up and drive. It’s a really cheap and fun weekend of racing.

If you have some time on the track and you’re comfortable with wheel-to-wheel racing, drop me a PM and we can discuss in more detail.

OP
OP
H

haroldabryan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any more details? How long does each driver get to drive? Do you drive all at once?

Great question. We will share 1 car. There is a minimum of 4 drivers, which is what we are shooting for -- not only a requirement, but to maximize driving time. Friday practice each driver usually gets at least 20 minutes minimum. Some of the time Friday is spent in inspection so that takes away some of the practice time. There are 14 hours of racing between Saturday and Sunday, so that's about 3.5 hours of driving per driver. This all depends on break downs or any other issues (penalties). We usually determine the rotation the morning of the race and we are pretty flexible. The focus is on having fun and staying safe. Heat exhaustion is a risk, although we now use a cool suit system.

happy56, I'll give you a call later this afternoon / evening.

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I may be up for this. I have competition licenses w/ SCCA & NASA. Lots of seat time on the Shenandoah. Let me sleep on it.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Wish I had the time, sounds like fun. Do you need a competition license?

OP
OP
H

haroldabryan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I had the time, sounds like fun. Do you need a competition license?

When registering for the race, each driver pays a fee for a "LeMons" competition licenses, then you're good to race. Technically, you can roll off the street, buy a license and then go racing; however, (I feel) it's best that you have some experience on track before getting into this.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got several friends who do real competition racing and have also done this and they all loved it. I gotta give it a shot sometime. What's your theme?

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I always wanted to ride in the space shuttle. Consider the last seat taken. I can fit in the seat w/o any problems based on your description of the other drivers.

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what a great idea! do they have any races in the mid west (kansas, oklahoma, nebraska?).
sounds like good old down home racing.
tom

happy56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Viper world, two viper owner, drivers have joined two other drivers at Summitt Point and after day 1 and ten+ hours of endurance racing we are sitting at 8th place out of 102 cars. My first time at this type of racing and what a blast!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever wanted to give a “24 hours of LeMons” race a shot? It’s an endurance race that takes place over two days for cheap crappy race cars that are valued around $500. Note: tires, wheels, brakes and safety equipment aren’t counted in that total.

Last year we built a 325 BMW and did a couple of races. This year we are picking the season back up starting with the race at Summit Point, WV (Shenandoah circuit) the weekend of June 18th. We need two additional drivers for this race. The price for the weekend is in the $600 range for a seat, which includes entry fees, Friday practice, gas, and consumables for the car – basically a driver’s share of expenses. We bring the car to the track, you show up and drive. It’s a really cheap and fun weekend of racing.

If you have some time on the track and you’re comfortable with wheel-to-wheel racing, drop me a PM and we can discuss in more detail.

Unfortunately I did not see this post until today but if you need a driver in a future race please PM me and I will sign up. We had one around here recently and I am familiar with the series. Good luck with the one you are running. Mark

happy56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well we worked our way up to 6th place before breaking a motor mount and rocking the engine where the tranny would not stay shifted. Fixed it once but didn't last so the car was parked. Had a good time though!

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Happy, It was great meeting you and Cathy. Everyone appreciated your ability to drive AND repair the car, even if it only lasted a little while. The racing was just as exciting as other series, perhaps even more so given the size of the field...102 cars on a 2 mile circuit.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Unfortunately I did not see this post until today but if you need a driver in a future race please PM me and I will sign up. We had one around here recently and I am familiar with the series. Good luck with the one you are running. Mark

MSR is running one in the next couple of months.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R