3" pulley results (heads/cam/paxton)

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I installed the 3" pulley on my Striker heads/cam/paxton car

Background the car is a Stock bottom end 2001 with Shaved Striker street heads with gen 3 head gaskets giving it 11.1 to 1 comp. The cam if I remember right was 236/238 @0.050 and .600 lift. I did the heads/cam on this car about 5 yrs ago and it made 612 rwhp all motor. Last yr I installed the Paxton with a 3.25" pulley and it put down 873 rwhp at 6.5psi of boost. Only change to the car now was to go to the 3" pulley (upping boost to almost 8psi peek) and power went up to 909 rwhp (909.64 rwhp to be exact) A gain of 36 rwhp not bad for just a pulley swap. Now there is one other change I ran the car this time on a different Dynojet then last time, there in the same town of El Paso TX, and are both Dynojets but are different dynos at different shops. I'm going to try and get in at the shop I dynoed at last time to remove that variable.

All in all I'm happy with the results, over 900 rwhp from a "cream-puff" bottom end is nothing to sneeze at. I kind of wish I had gone with the 2.75" pulley but I really think I am reaching the end of were the Novi2000 can get me. I would Expect to get around 950 from the 2.75". I'm pulling out quite a bit of timing so I'm sure there is still some power left there maby I could get 1000rwhp from the 2.75" with adding timing. I should have went with the Novi2500.....

mgeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are real nice numbers. Would love to hear a clip of the car at idle and then WOT if you have one. If you are totally power hungry and want to sell that Paxton and go TT, let me know, I'm thinking about it for my car.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those #s are crazy! I remember we ran 15-16 lbs of boost on dlm build and only achieved 945 rwhp on a built motor with a much lower CR! I gotta ask, how long do expect your bottom end to last at that 11.1 to 1 and 8lbs of boost? I gotta give it to you, you got one huge set of marbles!

OP
OP
F

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are real nice numbers. Would love to hear a clip of the car at idle and then WOT if you have one. If you are totally power hungry and want to sell that Paxton and go TT, let me know, I'm thinking about it for my car.

Here is a vid I shot a wile back, this is before I had the Blower on the car, but the car sounds the same at idle now (same cam). The car is much louder at WOT now but I dont think I have a vid of the car at WOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azzy7v_TZEc

OP
OP
F

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those #s are crazy! I remember we ran 15-16 lbs of boost on dlm build and only achieved 945 rwhp on a built motor with a much lower CR! I gotta ask, how long do expect your bottom end to last at that 11.1 to 1 and 8lbs of boost? I gotta give it to you, you got one huge set of marbles!

This motor has talken quite a beating so I really dont know. It was heads/cam for a few yrs, then I put NOS on it and it made 736 rwhp on the NOS and I ran quite a few bottles threw it, but then I wanted the power all the time so I pulled off the NOS last yr and put on the Paxton. It spent nearly a yr at 6.5psi and was still running tip top.

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent numbers! Have you been down the strip with any of your previous setups? H/C, H/C/Nitrous, etc... If so, what times and mph were you able to achieve with each configuration?

OP
OP
F

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent numbers! Have you been down the strip with any of your previous setups? H/C, H/C/Nitrous, etc... If so, what times and mph were you able to achieve with each configuration?

it ran 10.71@130 with the heads/cam set-up

It ran 10.75@136 with the NOS (lol bit of tire spin, 19" street tires) Only got that one pass on the NOS the next pass it cleaned the teeth off the input shaft gear and the cluster gear in the tranz. That was about 2 yrs ago, I then installed a built Trany and a ACT clutch. But never took it to the track again on that set-up.

I Tried to race it Friday after the Dyno, but at high RPM the car just flat would not shift gears, only close to good pass I granny shifted 2nd (and I mean granny letting RPM drop all the way down to idle then shifting) Granny shifted 3rd, then did not granny shift 4th slow enough and it ground and I just let off and coasted in N the rest of the track and it ran 11.4@111mph. It appears the clutch is dragging and not allowing it to shift at high RPM. I'm going to have to look into a different clutch set-up (recommendations?).

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good runs on the previous setups. It's funny you think the clutch is dragging. In the Evo world, they had a host of issues with ACT clutches not allowing high rpm shifts for the same reasons. I would think you are probably on the right track with your suspicions.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Matt,
You runnng forged pistons? (I think not)

I didn't shave my Striker heads, and so ended up with stock c/r. So with Striker heads, Striker cam, Edelbrocks and Corsa, was making 580 rwhp, 590 rwtq.
If I shaved the heads, probably would have put out a bit more. But there's always room for forced.

OP
OP
F

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,
You runnng forged pistons? (I think not)

I didn't shave my Striker heads, and so ended up with stock c/r. So with Striker heads, Striker cam, Edelbrocks and Corsa, was making 580 rwhp, 590 rwtq.
If I shaved the heads, probably would have put out a bit more. But there's always room for forced.

No, Still running the Stock Cast pistons.

Ya shaving your heads would give you some power for sure, but if you just wanted to add some CR a simply way going to gen 3 or now the even thinner Gen 4 head Gaskets (there was no such thing as a gen 4 when I did the heads/cam on mine or I would have used them and probly ended up around 11.5) would do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21