3M coating

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have found a guy that is supposed to be excellent at 3M coating - actually designs and makes all the templates for most people in the DFW area. I have it tentively set to get front, mirror, rocker panels both behind front and rear wheels next week. Has anyone else done this and how do you like it?

Bruce

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found a guy that is supposed to be excellent at 3M coating - actually designs and makes all the templates for most people in the DFW area. I have it tentively set to get front, mirror, rocker panels both behind front and rear wheels next week. Has anyone else done this and how do you like it?

Bruce

I have had the 3m on my 04, and I find that the 2M has more orange peel in it because most cars have some degree of peel in them as well. It is especially noticeable when using it on black. If you are doing just the side sills and behind the rear tires, the 3m is excellent, but for the front and the fenders, this is what you want http://web.mawebcenters.com/protint/LlumarPaintProtection.ivnu

no orange peel :headbang:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have also been looking into having the rockers coated with Line-x which is used on truck beds. I talked with the dealer and he told me they can do it in a gloss powder coated look in black or color matched. the price for black is $50.00 and the price for color matched is $200.00. Look them up at http://www.line-x.com

Robbie

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had 3M coating installed this week - looked great to start, but getting better and better very day. Says it taked 30 days to completely settle in. I believe it, it smells up the garage!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi rblong,

Do you have the web site link of the 3M coating you are speaking of? Now I know i am going to ruffle someone's feathers but the truth is we should not have to spend a dime on these products as DC should have applied them at the factory and included them in the price. Hell, They know the problem has existed for years. Even the lowly $25,000 Miata has rock coating on the side sills but not our $90,000 vipers. WHY?

Robbie

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went to clearmask.com and they gave me a number of a local installer in my area. I called my local DC shops and one out of the three I called did installs. The local guy came to my house and did it, so it was much better than letting the sealer have it for the day.

The local guys is doing about two installs a day - on a lot of exotics so not many manufacturers are offering it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32