3R Poised for Road Atlanta

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subject: 3R Poised for Road Atlanta
September 20, 2004
Immediate Release

3R-Racing Poised for Road Atlanta

Englewood, Colorado - With two races remaining on the World Challenge schedule 3R-Racing has all three driver's in the top ten in points and still holds the possibility of securing the overall driver's championship for Tommy Archer. The team is heading to Road Atlanta for round nine of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series race to be run next week.

Archer currently is second in the GT driver's standings with 193 points, twelve points away from first place. 3R teammates Phil McClure and Tim Wiens are also in the top ten in GT points with McClure in sixth with 148 and Wiens moving into the ninth position with 111.

SCCA has granted a 50lb. weight adjustment to the Corvette, taking it from 3000 to 2950lbs. The Viper Competition Coupe also gets a reduction of 50lbs. from 3200 to 3150lbs.

In the battle for the driver's championship Tommy Archer, driver of the number 22/c3controls/ Whelen Engineering/3R Viper, said, "The weight adjustment may help us; we lost 50lbs. off the car which we hope will make it drivable again. We need to finish 4 or 5 places in front of Galati to make up the points deficit. At this point it looks like possible rain in Atlanta for the race weekend, that goes in Audis favor with their four-wheel drive. I have won a lot of races at Road Atlanta so I am looking forward to a competitive weekend. We need to keep doing what we have done all year, drive hard and smart."

Phil McClure, piloting the number 73/Aggregate Industries/3R Corvette, finished fourth at Road Atlanta last year and is looking forward to the race next week. "The weight we lost from SCCA comes close to off setting my R.E.W.A.R.D.S. weight from Road America. My car has really handled well in the high speed stuff this season so the esses and the last downhill turn should really be fun. I have been able to run at the front at Road Atlanta the last two years, so I am really looking forward to running there next week."

Viper teammate Tim Wiens, driving the number 33/1st Interstate Inns/3R Viper, finished in ninth place at Road Atlanta in 2003 behind the wheel of a Porsche. After suffering from transmission problems at Road America, Wiens is looking ahead to next week. "The team has fixed the transmission glitch that I had at Road America. Road Atlanta is a great track with the undulating terrain and fast turns. The Viper, although not that nimble, has great torque to get you off of the turns and down the straight. We should be able use the power of the V10 to get up the hills and power down the long back straight. I am looking for another competitive finish in the top ten."

The team will also welcome Rob Foster of Phoenix, Arizona under the 3R tent for Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca. Foster is a long time Viper Racing League driver who is ready to test his skill in World Challenge. "I have run at Road Atlanta in the past and I really like the track. I am hoping that the combination of the 3R car preparation, some feedback from Tommy and Tim will help to shorten my learning curve and put in a position for a competitive run."

The race will be run on September 24th and televised on Speed Channel September 26th at 1:00 p.m. Eastern time.

Speed GT Top 10 Drivers Point Standings:
1. Michael Galati Audi 205 Points
2. Tommy Archer 3R Viper 193
3. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac 173
4. Randy Pobst Audi 167
5. Max Angelelli Cadillac 153
6. Phil McCLure 3R Corvette 148
7. Leighton Reese Corvette 123
8. Mike McCann Viper 120
9. Tim Wiens 3R Viper 111
10. Lou Gigliotti Corvette 110

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.