3R-Racing on High in Oregon

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subject: 3R-Racing on High in Oregon

July 21, 2004
Immediate Release

3R-Racing on High in Oregon

Englewood, Colorado -- 3R-Racing has made its way to Oregon for round five of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series. The team recently finished all three entries in the top 10 at Sonoma's Infineon Raceway and looking for good things in Portland this weekend.

As a result of his third place finish at Infineon Tommy Archer, driver of the number 22/c3controls/Viper has moved into second place in the GT point standings with 95. Teammate Phil McClure in the number 73/Aggregate Industries/Corvette moves into sixth with 71 points behind a strong second place finish in Sonoma. Tim Wiens, driver of the number 33/1st Interstate Inns/3R Viper moves to tenth with 47 as a result of his ninth place in the last event.

"The last time I raced at Portland in 2001 I won the race and that was in a Trans-Am Viper," said Tommy Archer. "There are not a lot of turns, so that will help us with the tire wear. Portland has always been good to me; I have won there four times in the past. The most important part of the track is getting through the esses along the back, they set you up for the fast front stretch. There are not a lot of technical sections to the track, unlike Infineon that is a real drivers track."

"I was running third at Portland in 2001 when the gearbox let go," said Phil McClure. "The restrictor that was mandated prior to Infineon may come into play at this track. I like the high speed turns coming along the back, we have a really good setup for these types of sections."

"I have never driven Portland before, but it looks like a fast layout," said Tim Wiens. "We have been doing the best we can with the Viper, we have a good setup with the small front tires and the extra weight we carry, so we are looking for another good finish. Portland doesn't look like it rewards a particular type of car, so a level playing field is about all we can ask for."

The race will be run on Sunday, July 25th and televised on Speed Channel at 1:00 p.m. on August 1st.

Speed GT Top 10 Driver Point Standings:

1. Michael Galati Audi 102 points
2. Tommy Archer 3R Viper 95
3. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac 92
4. Max Angelelli Cadillac 84
5. Randy Pobst Audi 82
6. Phil McCLure 3R Corvette71
7. Lou Gigliotti Corvette 59
8. John Young Saleen 53
9. Mike McCann Viper 51
10. Tim Wiens 3R Viper 47

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 3R, no damage... Woodhouse is another story. Still looking for *****'s race report...

In the meantime, kudos to 3-R for all of the pre and post- race write-ups!