3R-Racing Takes Points Lead to Road America

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
August 13, 2004
Immediate Release

3R-Racing Takes Points Lead to Road America

Englewood, Colorado -- 3R-Racing is taking their slim points lead for driver Tommy Archer to Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin next week for round eight of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series race to be run at Road America.

Archer leads the GT driver's standings with 174 points, two points ahead of second place. 3R teammates Phil McClure and Tim Wiens are also in the top ten in GT points with McClure in sixth with 122 and Wiens in tenth with 97.

Road America is the longest track on the schedule with its 12-turns and slightly over four miles in length. The track rewards horsepower and an aerodynamic shape. The Archer Viper is carrying 255 lbs. in REWARDS (Rewarding of Equalizing Weight Assigned to Reduce Driver Sensitivity) weight and the McCLure Corvette has a 20% restrictor, both affecting the overall performance of the racers.

Tommy Archer, driver of the number 22/c3controls/ Whelen Engineering/3R Viper, said, "the weight of our car won't help us at Road America. We are having to really work ******* the setup so we can maximize the use of our tires with the weight. The Viper performs well when it can use its V-10 on the long straights and Road America has three of them. On the other hand the long turns are not a plus for us and this track has almost six of those. So we will have to work hard during the practice sessions. We need to keep our focus on the championship and keep getting top five finishes."

Phil McClure, piloting the number 73/Aggregate Industries/3R Corvette, returns to Road America with some trepidation. Last year at this time McClure was in the thick of the points chase for the GT driver's championship when on lap 17, while running fourth, he was involved in a crash in turn eight. The wreck wrote-off his Corvette and combined with the hard-hit, he had to miss the next round, ruining his chances at the 2003 GT driver's championship. "Thankfully I don't remember too much about the wreck. I am definitely hoping for a better result this time. The 20% restrictor we have will show up at Road America in our straight line performance. The fast turns will be good for us, then down the straights we will need to hold our own. We had some motor issues at Mosport which the 3R guys have solved, so I am looking forward to a good run next week."

Viper teammate Tim Wiens, driving the number 33/1st Interstate Inns/3R Viper, finished eighth last year at Road America. "I like the track, it is fast and has a lot of road racing history. The Viper will be a ball to drive there, the horsepower and torque of the V-10 will be a real asset. I am looking forward to improving on my eighth place finish from last year."

The race will be run on August 21st and televised on Speed Channel August 29th at 1:00 p.m. Eastern time.

The double header from Mosport last week will be televised on Speed Channel this weekend, August 15, at 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Eastern time.

Speed GT Top 10 Drivers Point Standings:
1. Tommy Archer 3R Viper 174 Points
2. Michael Galati Audi 172
3. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac 160
4. Randy Pobst Audi 138
5. Max Angelelli Cadillac 131
6. Phil McCLure 3R Corvette 122
7. Leighton Reese Corvette 112
8. Mike McCann Viper 103
9. Lou Gigliotti Corvette 103
10. Tim Wiens 3R Viper 97

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.