3R-Racing to Mosport for GT Double Header

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
July 29, 2004
Immediate Release

3R-Racing to Mosport for GT Double Header

Englewood, Colorado -- Following their first victory of the year at Portland, 3R-Racing is preparing for rounds six and seven of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series to be run at Mosport International Raceway on August 7 and 8.

Tommy Archer's first place at Portland has propelled him into the GT points lead with 129. Phil McClure, as a result of his podium finish, is in fifth place with 97 and Tim Wiens, following his sixth place at Portland, is in eighth place in the driver's standings.

"I think Mosport should be a good track for the 3R Viper," said Archer, driver of the number 22/c3controls/Whelen Engineering/3R Viper. "I think I have won there as many times as I had Portland. Mosport doesn't rank as my favorite track, but like Portland I have always done well there. I am looking forward to the double race weekend. The 3R guys do a great job of preparing the cars. We are carrying an extra 210 pounds in rewards weight, which renews our claim to being the heaviest car on the track. The weight will show itself in the slower corners under acceleration and deceleration."

Phil McClure in the number 73/Aggregate Industries/Corvette, is going back to Mosport as the defending race champion from 2003. "This year I think the pace will be about three seconds faster. Last year was fluke race. I started ninth and had to pass one car to the win. I don't think it will be that easy this year. Mosport is a good track for our Corvette. I am carrying another 45 for 135 pounds rewards weight. The weight seems to be helping the balance. I am looking forward to Mosport, it is a driver's track and I like to drive it. It can also bite you." McClure will run his dirt oval car this Friday and Saturday night in Bloomfield and Eldon, Iowa.

Tim Wiens, driving the number 33/1st Interstate Inns/3R Viper, finished eleventh at Mosport last year in a Porsche. "This year Mosport will be a little different in the Viper. The 3R guys have been able to work around the fluctuating rules and weight to put a good setup on the cars, helping us to realize top ten finishes in the last couple of races. I like Mosport, it has a nice blend of fast and slow corners to challenge the driver and the car. The Viper will be a fun ride around there, especially going down the hill in turn two."

The first race will be run on Saturday, August 7 and the second on Sunday, August 8. The races will be televised on Speed Channel on August 15 at 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.

Speed GT Top 10 Drivers Point Standings:
1. Tommy Archer 3R Viper 129 Points
2. Michael Galati Audi 120
3. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac 115
4. Randy Pobst Audi 110
5. Phil McCLure 3R Corvette 97
6. Max Angelelli Cadillac 85
7. Mike McCann Viper 71
8. Tim Wiens 3R Viper 68
9. Leighton Reese Corvette 64
10. Jim McCann Viper 62

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.