97 GTS OBD1 or OBD2

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
OBD II for 1996 upwards...a simple scan tool from Harbor Freight will get you started reading codes. After that, the sky is the limit. Be sure to get one that is compatible with the later protocols (CAN bus) so that you can use it on other cars.

Actron makes several versions that do more...including freeze frame.

The Big Daddy to diagnose and TREAT your car is the DRB III...available from Tech Authority for about $6,500.00.

Then there was the StarSCAN (free standing...no longer supported) and StarMOBILE (used with a PC)...though one still needed a DRB III for thr Tire Pressure Monitor System found on 2003-2010 Vipers.

Later Vipers (2008-10) required BOTH a DRB III and another tool called a wiTECH ($2,600.00) plus a PC... though the latest wiTECH software now turns the wiTECH into a DRB III emulator.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Big Daddy to diagnose and TREAT your car is the DRB III...available from Tech Authority for about $6,500.00.

Then there was the StarSCAN (free standing...no longer supported) and StarMOBILE (used with a PC)...though one still needed a DRB III for thr Tire Pressure Monitor System found on 2003-2010 Vipers.

Later Vipers (2008-10) required BOTH a DRB III and another tool called a wiTECH ($2,600.00) plus a PC... though the latest wiTECH software now turns the wiTECH into a DRB III emulator.

You sure there isn't an iPhone app to do all that now ? ;)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Yes to the phone apps...both Android and iPhone, I believe. There have been several posts here about cost, etc.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised that ther are apps for those advanced functions that DRB III does !

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My last post mentioning apps was intended to mean basic OBD II functions and some engine performance readouts....NOT advanced reprogramming of modules...based on what I have read, as I do not use phones for such things.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last post mentioning apps was intended to mean basic OBD II functions and some engine performance readouts....NOT advanced reprogramming of modules...based on what I have read, as I do not use phones for such things.

Yeah, I knew the simple stuff was included in an app; but, I wouldn't have been surprised at all if more complex stuff was available. It is all just software, I suspect, rather than the physical DRBIII device. Probably not a big enough market to be worth someone's time to reverse engineer the programming.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave