97 GTS OWNERS.....NEED ADVICE!!!

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I stopped at a Classic car dealer who has a 97 GTS with some mods. 8000 miles, K+N filters, smooth tubes,larger throttle bodies,Mopar computer upgrade, Mopar 3inch exhaust, and 3:55 gears. Price...$62,900. I asked to take it for a ride and he told me that he took it out yesterday, and it developed a severe tranny WHINING noise. Thru-out the gear range. Noise is very loud. Car is just out of warranty. I am very fond of the Blue/White Stripes.

1. Is this a good deal?
2. Can I buy an extended warranty, and for how much longer?
3. Have there been any problems with 97 Trannys?
4. How much RWHP and RWT would this GTS have?
5. What else should I be concerned with, as it seems that this GTS might have been DRIVEN HARD?
6. It throws a lot of black smoke on start-up! Is this normal???
7. Should I get a compression test, or any other tests???
8. What else should I be concerned with or look for?

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate and need your input and advice.

Dave

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
1. NO!
2. Depends on date it went into service(if greater than 3 yrs., can't get Dodge warranty as I understand situation...could TRY another source...pay more, get less) IF car does qualify for Chrysler plan, could go total of 7 yrs.(about $1500.00)
3. Not sure...maybe misuse??...I defer to others here.
4. Get it dyno'd..AFTER a thorough checkup by a very ACTIVE Viper Tech. Pay for a real inspection...including leak-down testing.
5. Have Dodge dealer run the VIN for warranty work/service, Carfax for damage (less than foolproof in my opinion), inspect it on a lift for damage/wear (check under hood and under mats in rear for same). Check TSB's and FAQ's on this Board as well as section on buying used Viper. CHECK with VCA members in location that this Viper is said to have "lived" and ask to talk with previous owner.
6. Many "spit" black droplets on startup...hard to know what "a lot of black smoke means second-hand, buit does worry ME.
7. YES!!
8. TRUTHFULLY???... look for another less worrisome Viper...which SHOULD be better and cost less, in my opinion.(one of our members just purchased a 2001 GTS with 600 miles for $67,000.00 !!!) I too like 96/97 GTS...there are some great ones out there WITH extended warranties if you are the second (and MAYBE the third) owner. After that(and I'm NOT sure where cutoff is), extended warranty does NOT transfer.

PERSONALLY, I try NOT to buy these cars from "brokers"...preferring to stay in the dealer-to-Dodge chain of command as things DO "come up" at which one needs ALL THE HELP one can get!!! This practice has served us well thus far.

NONE of this is meant as a "slur" a given car, individual, broker, or dealer.... just homespun advice from someone with 5 Vipers in garage...and VERY HAPPY with them AND the service we/they get.

They are GREAT cars; you'll have a BLAST when you get one. Give yourself a little time to shop!!
bounce.gif

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
P.S. call a guy like Bill Pemberton (1-800-889-1893) for advice you can TRUST...he may even know of a Viper for you...it's hard to beat a OLD Bill as he sells them (for Woodhouse Dodge), drives AND races a Viper (take a look at the Viper Days report for 2000),was president of local VCA Region, lives & breathes VIPERS....and has the MOST LOYAL customer base of anyone that I have met.
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Is this a good deal? ABSOLUTELY NOT - Real price is in mid or low 50's for a car in excellent condition. The seller has no clue about the whining rear end - This is due to the lower rear gear - it is probabably a low quality aftermarket unit - I have one that is considered good quality and it whines - I have read on this site that the Dana gear is quiet.
2. Can I buy an extended warranty, and for how much longer? VERY DOUBTFULL
3. Have there been any problems with 97 Trannys? NOPE
4. How much RWHP and RWT would this GTS have? HEEEEPS
5. What else should I be concerned with, as it seems that this GTS might have been DRIVEN HARD? - THEN FORGET IT
6. It throws a lot of black smoke on start-up! Is this normal???- SERIOUSLY - FORGET THIS CAR - Mine spits a bit of black water for a few seconds but thats it. Black Smoke and this price- nuff said
7. Should I get a compression test, or any other tests??? NOPE - GO FIND ANOTHER CAR
8. What else should I be concerned with or look for? ANY CAR YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BUYING YOU SHOULD TAKE TO A DEALER, PREFERABLY ONE RECOMMENDED ON THIS SITE.

IF YOU WANT TO GET AN IDEA OF REAL PRICES - LOOK AT THE CARS ON THIS WEBSITE - this will give you a better idea of what is available
Go slowly - do your homework - there are some very good cars out there.
Nothing wrong with choosing a 97 - make sure all the TSB work has been done - if you want a warrnty car - then forget the 97 unless you can get someone to sell you a warranty.
luck
Gavin

Mark F

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can definitely get a Chrysler extended warranty even if your Viper's standard warranty has expired. I posted this in May '01 and you may find it and the follow-up of interest.

In May I purchased a '97 GTS (Blue w/white stripes) with 39,500 miles. I bought it from an exotic used car dealer (no connection to Damiler Chrysler), and the only warranty was of the Maryland state-mandated 30 days/1,000 mi variety. After contacting a number of Dodge dealers in the area, I found one (Cook Motorcars Dodge-Mazda-Suzuki, Aberdeen, MD) which issues D-C extended warranties, even if the vehicle's original D-C warranty has lapsed. D-C has four levels of "Plans & Benefits" coverage in their "Pre-Owned Vehicle Protection" program (see their somemwhat non-user friendly website for specifics).

For $1,500 I purchased a 4 year/48 month extended "Added Care" warranty (the 3d most extensive of the four coverage levels), and I specified the highest deductible ($200 per visit). "Added Care" covers "Powertrain and Major Assembly Component Coverage on your engine, transmission, rear-wheel drive, steering, air conditioning, engine cooling and fuel, front suspension, electrical, brakes, and power group". Note the 4/48 coverage begins now, so the extended warranty is good (in my case) until 87,500 mi or May 2005, whichever comes first (and this is so stated on the purchase contract).

At the beginning of July I received from D-C a warranty card (a credit card-like plastic affair) and personalized booklet which specified the covered miles, warranty coverage, and the expiration date. While some may think $1,500 is a bit pricey, from what I have seen from posts of other VCA members any major Viper drivetrain repair could be a very expensive proposition. And in this high cost part of the country, where 1/8 acre empty housing lots run into six figures, $1,500 looks like a good deal to me.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO WAY. I would stay away from that one. I just sold my 97 Blue and White. 10,700 miles with extended warranty, cat-back exhaust, and a few more goodies. Sold it for $52,000. I would buy one with a warranty. Definitely give Pemberton a call and also check the classifieds.

OP
OP

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LUV2 ROC

Gee I am not to sure how they came up with the name Shavertown, PA. I got a chuckle out of it though!! thanks for the input!!! Now if I could only find someone to liquidate my 00 vette, I'll be drivin a 01 GTS!!! Maybe someone in Shavertown!!!

Thanks, Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave