a few questions i have had about the Vipers

MatchboxMadeMyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've been a huge viper fan since i was a wee one, yet i still know very little about em ! so here are a few questions

have the snakes always had a push button start or is that only on the SRT-10's? push buttons are a cool little thing

What years did they have the three spoke rims? was this exclusive to Gen 1 Vipers ?

when did they issue the hard tops for the rt/10s? If i am not mistaken the hardtops are compatible with the softtops right?

do they have ABS? what year did they start issueing them? advantages of non ABS
?
What in the hell is a creampuff? is this a special donut dispenser that only the good viper drivers get ? cause if i could eat donuts and drive a viper, i would be in heaven ten fold.

What do the air ducts near the windsheild,or hoodspeakers as i hear them called ,lol, do specifically? is it to vent heat or for those of us who drive fast in reverse ?

i'm starting to save up for my snake right now.what is a good " starter viper" so to say ? of course i will wait until i am older than 25 but by then i hope to be used to a car with alot of torque.

Last but not least. Does anyone else think that the viper ( along with other high end cars) deserve a driver skill test and driver competence test before you but one of these things. i present wreckedexotics.com as a prime example for this idea.

thanks yall ! :cool:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Push button start began with SRT/10.
Three-spoke rims 92-95.
Advantage to non-ABS is learning threshold braking.
Creampuffs are 2000+, labeled "creampuffs" because they are more refined than earlier models. Refineness is not something Viper extremist brag about.
Speakergrill on passenger side is for the heater box, driver's side is cosmetic.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought creampuffs were called creampuffs because they changed to cast pistons vs. forged resulting in a de-tuned ECU and different camshaft.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought creampuffs were called creampuffs because they changed to cast pistons vs. forged resulting in a de-tuned ECU and different camshaft.

Cause and affect. The motor runs smoother, additionally the overall ride of the a car is significantly "improved" - if you consider easier to drive an improvement. Thus, "creampuff."

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What in the hell is a creampuff? is this a special donut dispenser that only the good viper drivers get ? cause if i could eat donuts and drive a viper, i would be in heaven ten fold.

That has to be sig worthy. :D

As far as a first viper goes, if you never played with a manual tranny start with something alot smaller. This is what I've been told. Get a Mustang or something to work with sometime. Viper's have alot of power and they need to be taken carefully.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually, the opposite - the highest stock Gen II dyno numbers reportedly tend to come from the creampuff motors. However, also reportedly, the cast pistons can't handle as high boost pressures / mods, so if you plan to modify the engine, you might want to start with a pre-2000 engine.