AC Cobra & Dodge Viper

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Although an impressive automobile, the car was a financial failure and did not sell well." and "Although successful in racing, the AC Cobra was a financial failure." "Shelby wanted it to be a "Corvette-******..."

These are the words used to describe the AC Shelby Cobra in Wikipedia. Do they apply to the Viper? Will its fate be similar?

PS-The Cobra is still being produced by Shelby Automobiles, Inc., 40+ years after its FIA Championship, albeit with some 'modern amenities.'

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If only down the road the Viper would bring a third of the value an original AC Cobra gets when their up for sale $$$$$.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as financially successful - Viper is the longest running Dodge nameplate, ever, I believe. From 1992 to 2010 is at least 18 years and the Cobra was 4 or 5 years? Viper was also the only piece of Cerebus-Chrysler that was actively for sale and sought after. Ford didn't sell the Cobra, they let the vehicle die off while they applied the brand name to the line of Mustangs. Maybe Dodge is doing sort of the same via the SRT versions of Charger, 300C, etc. Dodge also made the Viper-Ram truck, although maybe that is more like what Ford did. I think you'd have to say that the Viper was financially a plus.

Today's Cobra had a nice long nap and when Shelby woke up and saw the replica business thriving, he "found" some old cars, he started the Polish company version (?) etc, etc. It's a great story with real characters, but different than the Viper.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AC Cobra held the 0-100-0 production car record for at least 10yrs. Always was and still is an awesome ******** supercar. the Viper came out and gave the same asp kicking to the exotics and LeMans as the Cobra did in the past. The difference with the Viper is that the competition is getting better and corporate sponsorship of racing died while it was still on top. Imagine how many more races the Viper could have won since then thus building the reputation even more and improving sales.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as financially successful - Viper is the longest running Dodge nameplate, ever, I believe. From 1992 to 2010 is at least 18 years and the Cobra was 4 or 5 years? Viper was also the only piece of Cerebus-Chrysler that was actively for sale and sought after. Ford didn't sell the Cobra, they let the vehicle die off while they applied the brand name to the line of Mustangs. Maybe Dodge is doing sort of the same via the SRT versions of Charger, 300C, etc. Dodge also made the Viper-Ram truck, although maybe that is more like what Ford did. I think you'd have to say that the Viper was financially a plus.

Today's Cobra had a nice long nap and when Shelby woke up and saw the replica business thriving, he "found" some old cars, he started the Polish company version (?) etc, etc. It's a great story with real characters, but different than the Viper.

Exactly.

Comparing the financial failure of the Cobra to the longevity and financial success of the Viper? Boxer, what is your point?

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say more like wild grandchild!

And I would say, far superior grandchild. Lest anyone forget, the power of even the street version, combined with a chassis not rigid enough, and the bias-ply tires of the day, made the original big-block Cobra hands-down, the scariest street legal car that ever existed (it was certainly the scariest car I have ever driven); the Cobra could turn a routine corner into an opposite-lock sliding adventure, and had a disconcerting habit of not keeping all four wheels on the ground at the same time. By comparison, a Gen 2 Viper is relatively benign, and a Gen 3, and especially a Gen 4, positively reassuring, while being even faster.

The Cobra was one heckuva car for its time, and still turns heads today; it's an icon, and deserves to be. With modern tires and suspension components, and a stiffer chassis, some of its vices could be considerably improved; but the original was downright dangerous, even for a fairly competent driver. There's little doubt that the Cobra prepared the way for OUR Snake, if not the inspiration for it, and for that we owe it a vote of thanks, but the Viper is still a far superior car, and a more successful one, compared to its ancestor.

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Extremely dangerous. The only big block Cobra I ve ridden in killed its first owner, (flight student training here in Pcola) and my pal picked it up as is. Parts were still available out of Ca. in the early 70 s and Glen was lucky it didn t get him as well. Sunbeam Tiger was way more balanced wi the "small" 289. Those were the days!!

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I understand it, original Cobra production (289 & 427-428) was about 1000 cars. Many people probably still don't know to this day that some of the 427 Cobras were actually equipped with 428ci. police interceptor engines. These were the same engines the 1967 GT500 had in them. Back then 427 side oilers were a more expensive engine to produce and at times, racing demands made them hard to come by, so Shelby installed the 428 in more than just a few Cobras. They figured most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a street car. With all the "recreations", kit cars and what not, I wouldn't doubt there are possibly 100,000 "Cobras" on the streets. What would you say?

HISSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bad boys at a photo op, not my digs...

Cobra-Viper_Top_Up.JPG

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My bad boys at a photo op, not my digs...

Cobra-Viper_Top_Up.JPG

Very nice SPF. I made a deal on a Backdraft Cobra in those colors (Silver on Silver) with a Roush 402 in it. Financing fell through at the last minute. HEARTBREAKER! Ended up with my second choice...

Attachments

• IMG_7068reduced.jpg
    IMG_7068reduced.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 10

HISSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hemihead, I have a few more inmages in my gallery, check them out.

I posted this before but its worth another read! Enjoy!

Driving a Cobra Replica…

"If you want to just gas and go, and never have to worry about replacing an alternator, or snuggling down the header bolts, or getting baked while driving, or learning how to set your carb float level, or driving in traffic on a warm winter day with "winter gas" in the tank, get a Corvette. "

With a Cobra Replica you have to remind yourself that you are driving a hand made race car on the street. There is no compromise for anything other than pure speed. These cars are brutal and unforgiving, with all the refinement of a medieval battle ax. Like being in a relationship with an exotic dancer, you can never take anything for granted. These cars don't have millions of miles of testing refinement before you get yours. For any trip longer than an hour, you need earplugs, and goggles, and carry Advil and eye drops. You will need to learn to "read" the clouds for rain in your path, and have experience in un-wrapping your frozen fingers from the MotoLita steering wheel when driving in the cold winter months. You will experience lady passengers "wetting" the passenger seat when you merge into traffic from an on-ramp, and then nearly burn their calf getting out of the car.

You will have all the invisibility of a burning Hindenburg, and flee from underground parking lots when uncountable car alarms are screaming your departure. When you shop, you will remind yourself that these cars get more attention than a dead body in a parking lot.

With a power to weight ratio better than almost every supercar, you will find your 1/4 mile times traction rather than power limited. On the other hand, when you stage, out of the corner of your helmet's visor you will see almost the entire audience lining up at the fence, most with cameras up. If you track on a road course with a Porsche club, owners of expensive German machines will come to the fence to watch you power out in smoking oversteer. You won't even try to start your engine in the garage, but push it out onto the driveway, or else your loyal watch dog will croak from the exhaust fumes. If you idle next to other "sports" cars at a traffic light, by the green, their girlfriend will be coughing green phlegm into her hanky, yelling at her date to just go! When you refuel, you might as well prop the "bonnet" open, because you are going to have to show your motor to just about every other guy there. When you order your wings at *******, your waitress will whisper in your ear "take me for a ride." When you stop at the red light, the girl in the convertible next to you will invite you to "take my top off too."

When you slowly pass a troop of Harley riders, they will look over and give you thumbs up. When you want to ease out into traffic, other cars will immediately pause to let you go ahead of them. When your engine has its hot, crackling, intimidating exhaust side pipe aimed right at the flank of the GTO, or the Z28, your exhaust pulsation's slowly unscrewing his lug nuts, the other car will remain motionless, as if the slightest quiver of his car will cause your car to stomp it dead. When you leave it open in a parking lot, and come back to find your sunglasses and cell phone still sitting on the tunnel, it is because your car has sullenly warned those who came over to admire it "touch me and I will rise up here and kill you dead."

When you put that tiny low-tech silver key into the ignition and begin your start countdown, your car will whisper "take me for granted and I will kill you."

When other drivers just hop in and snap up their belts while backing out of their parking space, you will still have two more minutes before you even get all the Simpson's safety belts properly on and snugged down. Pulling up in a Cobra Replica is like landing an F4U Corsair, or “Whistling Death,” fighter plane at an ultralite aircraft convention.

In summary, very, let me repeat, very few drivers want this kind of attention or can tolerate all that a formidable Cobra Replica demands. These cars are intolerant mistresses.

But remember, there will come a day when you have to hang up your car keys for the last time. And perhaps you will want to say at that point in time, "I did it."

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I recognize that from an old posting on ClubCobra, was that your creation from a few years back?

BTW my replica was everything you said and more!

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly.

Comparing the financial failure of the Cobra to the longevity and financial success of the Viper? Boxer, what is your point?

I tend to think that someone will still be building the Viper 40 years from now, due to its prowess on the race track, even if the car or Dodge as a whole goes belly up. Not exactly a novel idea, but hey, just passin time!

Even idle chat has produced some dang nice pics of the cars side by side, and a great narrative! I was looking at Shelby's website becasue I am thinking of adding a Cobra to the stable...just for occasional weekend fun. I havn't owned an open topper (unless you count my TR6 in the 70's). I am thinking silver with white stripes would look good next to my other cars, or white with blue stripes. :2tu:

Here are some pics of an original Cobra that I got to run with in St. Louis one day....

DSC02604.JPG

DSC02606.JPG

DSC02613.JPG

DSC02615.JPG

DSC02614.JPG

DSC02607.JPG

Now that qualifies as some good 'weekend fun.'

Last edited: