accusump pressure/question

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
New Viper owner here. I could have posted this in the tech section, but thought I'd get more response here.
I just bought a “track ready” ’96 that needs a little TLC before trusting my life to it at speed. It is leaking oil from the pressure relief valve on the Accusump. There are occasional squirts of oil that eventually leave the underside of the hood and surrounding areas covered w/ oil. The sump is controlled w/ an electric valve. The pressure is 70 psi. I bled it down to 20 psi, but it went right back to 70 when I started the car.
Does anyone have any ideas on solving this oil leak? Is there a way to bleed an accusump w/o making such a mess?
Thanks

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The air side of the Accusump will equal the fluid side pressure until the piston can no longer move and there's no more air left in the air side of it. So when you start your car and it goes to 70 psi air, that just means you have 70 psi oil pressure. All you did by bleeding the air down to 20 psi before starting the car is make the Accusump hold more oil.

Anyway, you asked for help on solving an oil leak. Replace the leaking pressure relief valve it sounds like. Unplug the solenoid coil wires in the interim and it won't see pressure from the engine.

OP
OP
V

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. After posting, I discovered that Canton has an excellent website. If anyone needs it, look here: Canton Racing Products
It won't replace the advice of experienced friends, but it may be a start.

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has an old style pressure switch(it's small black and round)replace it with a new solid style one.The old ones are cheapy and will go pop,creating instant oil shower!!!:omg:

OP
OP
V

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine is a brass BOV w/ a ring thru it. But I'll check out those pics, too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth