Advice needed on my RT's repaint....

rraulston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well its getting time to repaint my car. The clear is flaking off the black. Should i remove all the quarters, sport bar ect and take it down to the shop, or is that just way overboard. Taking off the hood, trunk, ect isnt a biggy, doors o.k., but rear quarters...sport bar......dunno.....what do you think...Ray

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it apart. Very easy to do. The rear quarter panels will give you a little resistance after you remove all the rivets and bolts. It's sort of glued on. You just need to pull. You will find that the drilled rivet will still be in the enclosed channel and will move around. Before painting, hold it up so all the remains are in one end, then add caulking or some other type of filler (foam in a can) that will hold them in place.

You will find it's a fun winter project. These cars are easy to work on. PM me if you would like to hear more tips on taking the car apart, but I am sure there are others who have more experience than I.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the more you take off, the better the results. at least front and rear bumper covers, side sills(hard to paint so close to the ground.).

Hood is easy, take off door hinge covers, but wouldn't mess with the doors unless they are need adjusted anyway. Seems excessive for the quarters.

Nice thing about a solid color, is you don't have too worry about metallic flow out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21