After 15 Years - We Finally Did It Tonight!

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've had a long standing goal of having 50 cars attend one of our monthly meetings. We got aggressive this year with pursuing that goal. The club had been trying hard to get out, each month attendance was huge and lots of Vipers. We were in the mid 40's several times. Well tonight... 51 Vipers!!! Wow!!

We did it guys. Thanks to all those diligent folks. It's wild to imagine such great participation. You guys are nuts.

And at the next meeting, we have a little gift for all those who brought Vipers to commemorate reaching our goal!

We did it, good work!

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there were a lot of pics...hope someone posts them. I didn't bring my camera:(

OP
OP
SmoknTires

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't let that happen!! If we don't have pics, I'm a photoshop wizard, we can always make something.... ;.)

Our photog was there, waiting to get a pick of that night. She usually give me a CD a tthe next meeting, but trying to get a pic emailed to me to post.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey Alex I like your avatar! is the checkered flag pic from Putnam Park on the tower?

OP
OP
SmoknTires

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. I'd set the camera in the tower and put it on delay - then I'd run to the car and do a lap to catch it before it clicks.

That's how I got fast there.

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the meetings would float a little south you just might get those 60 cars. Not everyone lives in the north burbs...something to keep in mind.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Come on Greg, we do get a bunch of people from your neck of the woods to make the trek. Location is probably one the harder things Alex has to deal with considering where everyone is located. :2tu:

Besides it was worth it last night for those REALLY COOL raffle tickets Alex handed out. ;) :lmao::moon:

Rob

PS. Just kidding Alex.

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on Greg, we do get a bunch of people from your neck of the woods to make the trek. Location is probably one the harder things Alex has to deal with considering where everyone is located. :2tu:

Besides it was worth it last night for those REALLY COOL raffle tickets Alex handed out. ;) :lmao::moon:

Rob

PS. Just kidding Alex.

Rob,

It is a 2 hour one-way hike on a weekday, and that is if the traffic is good for me. Add any weather or road work, and it is tremendously longer. It is not a holiday morning with no one of the roads, like when it took me an hour for the parade. :smirk:

For me, it is just too far...and that is all that I am pointing out. I have not meet anyone other than you and Marty from the club...in almost 4 years. Hell, I did not even get a calendar this year with any information on what was even going on, and this is not the first time. The times that I did get something, it was like 3-4 days in advance of what was going on...and that is just too late. I find out about things after the fact, reading about what went down without even knowing that it was taking place.

I ain't ********, just pointing out that it might benefit the club as a whole to have at least one get together in the south/western burbs to get to know some of its members out this way. I am just trying to help, not criticize.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,

It is a 2 hour one-way hike on a weekday, and that is if the traffic is good for me. Add any weather or road work, and it is tremendously longer. It is not a holiday morning with no one of the roads, like when it took me an hour for the parade. :smirk:

For me, it is just too far...and that is all that I am pointing out. I have not meet anyone other than you and Marty from the club...in almost 4 years. Hell, I did not even get a calendar this year with any information on what was even going on, and this is not the first time. The times that I did get something, it was like 3-4 days in advance of what was going on...and that is just too late. I find out about things after the fact, reading about what went down without even knowing that it was taking place.

I ain't ********, just pointing out that it might benefit the club as a whole to have at least one get together in the south/western burbs to get to know some of its members out this way. I am just trying to help, not criticize.

I am not sure of the mail delays, but this forum is a good place to know of activities going on. Alex posts upcoming activities here and also at Home Page - Viper Club of America - Illinois Region

Just saying.

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you did hear anything from mailings, one kinda just does not put the effort forth...kinda feel like a red headed step child (no offense to any red headed step children). :omg:

Again, I am just pointing out an observation from someone who has been a member for more than a few years. Even though nothing changes I still support the club by being a member, and even go the extra step in being a Venom member. If nothing is going to be considered, then that is fine...just seems that if you started showing up someplace new once a year with a crap load of vipers that you would generate some new interest, and allow people in the area to see the cars as well. :2tu:

OP
OP
SmoknTires

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Angleiron,

Quote:
"If the meetings would float a little south you just might get those 60 cars. Not everyone lives in the north burbs..."

We actually have played with southern meetings, in fact we had a southern meeting place for years... (likely before you were a member). Attendance was never as good there as it is now, as you've pointed out - it works for some people and not others. I want to mention, it's a big assumption that we may hit 60 cars if we move south. You're forgetting the majority you'd lose now who don't feel the same way... Moving it south it creates the reverse problem. You're happy, but now others aren't (you expected that right!?) AND, you're now putting the MAJORITY of members in that position. No win/win here. So instead of a handful of people driving 2 hours, you have 65% of them doing it. The decision we made proved to be beneficial to many more members and a good business decision for the club. No one is saying you're not important, but the club is a business and we have to be mindful of the big picture. I'm always open to ideas, but that's a tough nut to crack.

Now, it's not as easy as just moving the location a bit south, there's also more to it... Aside from having to focus on where the most convenience can be created given where most of the membership is - you also need to consider a location that will support us. Not only must it be in a good location, but parking lot must be visible, we need our own room, we need seperate checks, we need something that can sustain 100-150, we need to be allowed to use our PA system, and we need it to be cost effective... Not easy. So beyond just thinking "hey let's move the meeting", we do ned to think of the reality of who can sustain us.

Currently our meeting place is where most of our members are, we have a private room, our room is surrounded by our Vipers literally 5 feet from our room, they do seperate checks, room for 125 people, power, PA system, and it's FREE. We're treated like kings and it's a great location to showcase the cars given how populated Schaumburg is. They even give us coupons and they give us vouchers for our raffles at times. It almost CAN'T be better. We've been quite happy (although now we could use an even larger room the way thigns are going!).

I understand your feelings above, and I know your tone comes across a bit like a criticism when typed (as I'm sure mine does). Regardless, I just get the sense you assume no one has looked into this and that it's a new thought. So you know, last year we spent over 20 hours on phone calls and research to find a place even slightly further south (also keep in mind it's volunteers doing this). Not only did we struggle with a location, but no location even met 2 of the 6 needs we have... on top of getting CHARGED for a private room. Much effort was put in.

The problem of making EVERYONE happy is evident. Believe me, I try my friend. Give me some ideas on how we can do it. Moving it south won't accomplish it for meetings. For every one person I'd make happy, I'd get three complaints. Also keep in mind we're not just the IL club, we have a lot of people who drive in from Wisconsin for meetings. So we're really not north, we're central to our majority.

This question has been asked before, but the solution is the tough part! Shoot me some ideas, locations, plans, and I'll be happy to consider. The 2 hour drive is hard, but for the hours invested by those who run the club, it's a small price to pay on the members part to be part of something so big. Same goes for events. We've noticed those who truly love the club and get involved, stay involved, and deal with whatever inconveneiences come their way with travel. We just can't cater the club to the 200+ places people choose to live. But I have open ears in case your reserach shows something. I've worked hard to dig up options.

And I want to thank the multitude of Vipers that come out to every meeting - some driving 2-3 HOURS each way. (and I mean a LOT of them). You guys are awesome! Last night alone, on a cold October, we had standing room only and 40+ Vipers!! The month before, a record setting 51 Vipers! Unreal!

Quote:
"Hell, I did not even get a calendar this year with any information on what was even going on, and this is not the first time. The times that I did get something, it was like 3-4 days in advance of what was going on...and that is just too late. I find out about things after the fact, reading about what went down without even knowing that it was taking place."

Somehow I sense a disconnection here. PM me with your email, name, and your address. All this needs to be verified. This isn't normal. and I don't remember sending any mailers 3-4 days before an event. We only send big packets well in advnace...

The IL VCA puts a LOT - I mean A LOT - of time into communication as well as our marketing - far more than most clubs are even ABLE to do. You ever do a mailer with 25 pages in color to 300 people a couple times a year - the costs are over $8,000 (postage alone is over $2000)! Add our end of year newsletter (glossy magazine - add another $6500). If you like mailers, you get them at the very minimum at the beginning and end of each year. We send a packet at the beginning of every year with full calendar, race signups, printouts, goodies, etc... All the info you need is there - including a magnetic calendar outlining the whole year. Let's get you on board so that you're not missing any of those. It's often that addresses are mirread or mistyped - and in JRT's defense, I've seen the applications they get, you can imagine people's writing can be hard to read. I'm sure there is a reason you're not getting mailers, we'll figure it out.

However, aside from that, the more cost effective way and obviously something far more realtime and informative - we do email announcements literally practically EVERY few days. Communication is a big key to our success. We spend a lot of time keeping in very close contact with our members. Only someone who sends all these announcements can really appreciate the 6+ hours spent each month just writing annoucenments to our club (much less responding to 200+ members questions). But perhaps your email is wrong too, let's check that aswell...

Now even if the address and email are wrong, we also have a website that outlines our calendar more than a year in advance and is updated by the SECOND with not only event info, but afterglow articles, pictures, and even videos. You should be able to reach that anytime on your own. The URL is Home Page - Viper Club of America - Illinois Region. Were you aware of it? In fact it's REALLY all you ever need.

We also have a hotline (630) 415-3642. Gives you event updates and a way to stay in touch via phone.

And of course there is this forum, which is very helpful - providing much of the same info and allowing for members to chime in with more info, often linking back to our website.

We do a lot for this club. I know it's tough to understand, but we really can't expect to be anywhere near perfect. Looking at it from one perspective can bring about many ideas, but we all need to step back and as ourselves what's good for the club. Mistakes happen, things get missed, and yes people even get terribly disapponted at times. However, you're an anomoly, unsure of how all this is happening. I feel bad the location is bad for you, no mailers, no emails, no ideas of what's happening, etc... Makes no sense to me. But we'll get it fixed.

Also, we have a host of other events (besides meetings) that take us all over the place. Racing for instance has had several southern driving events this year alone (several near Morris). And next year for the spring cruise we'll actually BE in Morris, IL and also tour the southern areas. Can't do better than that, so we'll expect to see you there.

I'll await your PM so we can check your info.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't forget about us poor Iowa folks! ;) I've only been a member for a couple years, but was wondering if there had ever been any consideration of having it on a different night/time once or twice a year? It's a good couple of hours each way for us too, but I know a few of us would do it if we weren't returning home at midnight on a weeknight. We drove in February to the annual meeting, but were able to stay the night since it was on a weekend, but of course too cold to bring the snake. Just a thought!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Many Fuddruckers seem to have the same layout, so might it be possible to talk to other locations to see if they could accomodate the group. Schaumburg certainly would remain the "home" and I do think that it might attract different members if other locations were tried. In addition to a south location, maybe a west location could also be considered?

ILLINOIS
  • Addison
  • Calumet City
  • Downers Grove North
    • 1500 Branding Lane, Downers Grove North, IL 60515
      Phone: (630) 963-0404 Corporate location
  • Downers Grove South
    • 7231 Lemont Road, Downers Grove South, IL 60515
      Phone: (630) 960-1122 Corporate location
  • Highland Park
    • 1538 Clavey Road, Highland Park, IL 60035
      Phone: (847) 831-2501 Corporate location
  • Matteson
    • 300 Town Center, Matteson, IL 60443
      Phone: (708) 747-7763 Corporate location
  • Schaumburg
IOWA

OP
OP
SmoknTires

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep.

As I mentioned, it's not like we haven't thought of it. I don't want to have to tell you all the reasons why something won't work. But:

Actually it IS kind of rare that they have a separate room (and especially one of good size). Fuddrucker's are not the same.

I've been to two of the locations you mentioned, specifically the Addison location (which is a dump). They ARE NO GOOD by FAR. Also, we've called other Fuddruckers (hoping to just move to another location and keep the same recipe). While some have private rooms, there are other considerations (like will we be charged, can we have the whole room, can we use a PA, do you have space for 125+ people) and of course - where can we park that we can 1) see our cars and 2) not have people parking their vehicles among ours...

Lastly, moving the location to Addison, Downers Grove, etc... isn't too much of a move. It's not going to accomplish much, it's still 30 mins away.

As for the great distances - I see a request for Michigan, a place 3 hours south, and your request for Iowa. For the small number of people who we'll make happy because they want it close to their house, as a club you're going to piss off 100+ people (who I might add drive 4+ hours to OTHER events and whom are very active).

We have SEVEN people in the entire state if Iowa who are members of the club... While I'd like to be there, it's the damage it causes that is the issue (not an unwillingness to met new people of course). I'm also wondering if one meeting is moved to such a distant/less inhabited location - will it REALLY create a very significant impact (one that offsets the damage done). If we come to Iowa once, does that mean you'll now become an active member? Will we see you drive out great distances to the rest of the events? Will it change your opinions? Will it change your hope that a portion of your membership dues shouldn't go to this region... ... ...

Unfortunately it just ends up being a fact of life. It'll be harder for some than for others. I will mention that while meetings are convenient, some folks just assume that those people have it easy. I will mention an interesting pattern:

* Those who truly want to be part of the club, drive EXTRAVAGENT distances to all the events.
* We've done car shows 3 hours from our home base.
* Our cruises help take us different directions (usually 2-3 hours from northern IL).
* For racing we cross states and have driven 6+ hours.
* For special events we've even driven 10+ hours. Mackinac had 75 IL Region folks join us and 85 people from the IL Region went to Niagara Falls!

... the pattern... It's usually the SAME members. What does that tell you? It's not about the meeting spot - it's about culture, involvement, and a willingness. Those who are active would say: don't ask what your club can do for you... but what you can do for your club. Because that's what makes the club what it is.

All the club does is try to make it easy by picking the most convenient places for them. Unfortunately, I'm sure you know, it won't make everyone happy. The club leadership has to make a final decision on how to run. Right or wrong, we gave it plenty of thought and we're doing the best we can.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive:I drive 330 miles round trip for the meeting that is during the week and I don't get home till midnight. Big Deal!!:omg: It is only 7 meetings a year. Just man up and come to the meetings. The motto of the club is "you come for the car but you stay for the people" and that is SOOOO true. I have made all the meetings for the last 2 years and have made some great friends and that is alot of what the club is all about. It is something I look forward to even if i drive up by myself. Alex and the rest of the officers have been fantastic and I am honored to count them as well as so many of the membership as my friends. I am so looking forward to the feb party and to next years events.:2tu:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feb. party?

When?

:D

It's only a +10,000 miles round trip!

OP
OP
SmoknTires

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, no joke. Markus will be there too!

Markus, you're a perfect example, you come from GERMANY annually (sometimes more often) for club events. Always glad to have you!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY PLEASURE, ALEX!

THE IL VCA ROCKS! :2tu:

2008/2009 = 8 times only :D