Aftermarket Head Unit replaced, now stereo sounds quieter than stock

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone else run into any issues when installing an aftermarket head unit with the audio sounding quieter and losing bass. I used a wiring harness which allowed me to re-use the factory amp.

Is there any adjustments that can be done to the factory amp for gain levels like aftermarket amps?

billseast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would bet that your aftermarket head unit does not have as many watts as the stock head unit did.

OP
OP
S

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't think that would matter as I am not even using the built in 4x55w amp in the new head unit, I have it wired out with a harness to use the factory amp. It was the ebay harness that was recommended by a couple other owners and worked out well for them.

billseast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The amp will just boost the signal that it gets from the head unit. If the after market head unit has less watts than stock then the amp will have less to boost. If you look at after market head units they have different volts ratting for the amp preouts. The higher the volts the more the amp has to boost. Here is a cheap head unit it is rated 2v http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-1300MP. Then this head unit is rated 4v http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/FH-P8000BT.

OP
OP
S

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just did a quick search, rated 4x55 peark (4x22 rms) and pre outs I am using are the front and rears rated at 4Vs.

OP
OP
S

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am thinking possibly that the stock head unit had an internal amp, then was amplified again by the factory external amplifier.

I wonder if I should get a different wiring harness and wire up the aftermarket head units internal amp, and if in doing so I would still be using the factory amp. I hope this would not damage the factory amp either.

Any have any input on how the Stock Head Unit and Factory amp are setup?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I installed my aftermarket HU, I used a harness that powered the door speakers with the radio amp. I believe the sub still got its signal from another harness too.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed an aftermarket head unit and wired it into the stock amp. My system kicks butt. Sounds WAY louder and clearer than stock and sports an IPOD plug to boot. ;)

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like a few others have already mentioned, Tony(Nineball) and I installed an aftermarket HU in my viper and the factory speakers sound better than the stock HU ever did. I used a plug and play harness(no cutting wires).

Neverenough

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you used the adapter I suggested. Don't know what is causing your issue, mine sounds great. My head unit has 3 sets of 3v rcas, front, rear, and sub. I plugged the front and back into the harness and ran the sub one to an added amp and subs in the trunk.

Neverenough

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thought, did you check the equalizer setup and see if there is a loudness on/off feature. Mine has it and it defaulted at off, turning it on made a big difference on my head unit.

OP
OP
S

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is no loudness feature on this deck, although there is -14 to +14 for Treble, Mids, and Bass, I have them all turned to +12 at the moment, just so I can somewhat listen to music.

Unlike your setup, I am not running an aftermarket sub/amp combo.

I will try to order up the other harness and try using the internal amp with the aftermarket HU and see if that helps out at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To Nineball, RCC, and Red Snake,

Did you all bypass the factory amp with your HU install?

Or did you use the internal aftermarket HU amp and then run that into the stock factory amp?

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The guy I bought my stereo stuff thru isnt at work today for me to get the actual part number of the harness I used. Heres a picture of it already soldered to the radio plug. They preassembled eveything and all we had to do is plug it in and make everything fit in the dash.

You must be registered for see images

I believe its a Metra 70-6502

OP
OP
S

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your input on this one.

Removed the RCA male ends on my harness adapter tonight, soldered them to the HU amp out wires and everything sounds great now, even better than stock!

Jewel55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Sho off are you happy with your head unit so far? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off-topic. I'm looking for a good stereo and can't make my mind up which one is the best.

There are so many aftermarket stereos that it's hard to find a good one. Many of them have one digit difference in their name. Anyways I've been reading reviews on the nets and they are all hype. Most of them downplay the negatives and hype features like 7" as if it would be that important. I've found a different blog. The thing I liked about this web-page is that it says it how it is. No sugar coating no BS. Even so there are ten or more head units on the site. How to pick the right one?

Any tips?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think one of the biggest questions is what all you want to keep. If you want to keep the factory amp and speakers, I think you might be more limited in what you can use for a head unit that will interface well. On the other hand, if you are okay with replacing the other components you have some more options and can tailor the system better.

All that said, I don't think the factory stereo is nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Any aftermarket exhaust drowns out a fair portion of the lower frequencies. I've replaced pretty much everything in my car at this point (it had a full aftermarket system when I bought it, but it was sloppily put together). The speakers are pretty much all Kicker brand at this point (tweeters in the dash, door speakers, and the sub between the seats). I don't have the little speakers behind the seats anymore. I have an Alpine head unit and amp that mounts under the passenger seat. I like the setup because I could tweak and tune it. I got it sounding good sitting in the garage and was fairly happy with it, but as soon as I start my car all the bass just falls out. My dad had a totally stock 03 for a while and the I thought the stereo in it sounded just as good and even had more low end punch to it than my setup.