Almost ejected my top, can't wait for SRT!

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Almost ejected my top, can\'t wait for SRT!

Howdy;

Yep, I was taking my beloved RT-10 in for some service on a drizzly wet day, and it ALMOST turned into disaster.

I had to put the hard top on because of the potential downpour. This is my second new RT I've had, so putting it on was nothing new.. just the usual hassle we all know and love.

Well, I put it on, secured the front with the sophisticated Allen wrench device (Dodge spared no expense on this design) and then pushed on the rear of the top to hear the "clicks". All was well... until... .

I drove down the road and entered the interstate entry ramp; a schoolbus was right behind me. I accelerated to about 60mph (not radically) looked to merge, and then... pop! The front of the hardtop popped up about 4 inches and was ready to deploy at 60 mph with the schoolbus right behind. I could just imagine the top flying off and smashing into the windshield of the bus.

I tried to quickly grab the top with my hand; I smacked it right into the glass, so I made a quick emergency pull-over just before I ran out of entry ramp. WHEW!

Nothing damaged thank God. I had not turned the "Wings" quite far enough with the Allen wrench, and they had backed out to removal position. I have never done that before. Hopefully this fall, I will NEVER have to do it again!

This is just ONE reason why I can't wait for the SRT. A top the works, and works quickly and easily.

Hope you enjoyed my long tale. I am definitely bored with the lack of new SRT info. However, this tale is relevant to just one of the great improvements on the way.

This story does qualify for "required summer reading" points for kids going back to school.

Cheers!

Jim

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Almost ejected my top, can\'t wait for SRT!

Have been taking my hard top on and off my car at least once a week for the past 3 years, and never ever had any sort of problem like this. The whole job takes me 2 minutes, which includes latching and all.

You need to be a bit more observant when performing your installation and you will not have this problem ever.

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Russ;

I also take the top on and off frequently. This is my second RT-10, as I think I said. This one time, I had a problem, which was MY fault, not the tops!

The point in posting my tale is that I am extremely tired of the "Top Ritual". I love the Roadster, but have had two serious bouts of Melanoma skin Cancer. Because of the top hassle, I have to avoid the sun in the Viper rather than drive it when I want to (yes, I have serious sunscreen). The SRT is going to allow me to enjoy the protection conveniently.

It seems I have also read several other posts here about the beloved "toupee" and Hardtop. Besides leaks, other drivers of experience have had partial or full ejecto-top adventures as well!

So, I can't wait for the SRT and it's many improvements; like a comfortable driving position (just to name another) and better brakes and more power.

Yes, the top incident was my fault (I thought I had the wings secure), but we all know the Allen wrench thing is rediculous and the soft top is a major production. I am not the only owner who feels this way by a long shot.

Anybody have any new info!

Jim

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck - the guy with 2 Vipers - was ahead of me on our private West Texas closed track doing well over a buck-fifty with the soft top on. The faster we went, the more I laid back - not wanting to get pummeled by a flailing toupee in the desert. Never had any problems though. Amazing!
yesnod.gif
My '93 always got worrisome at over 120, but the front latches are dramatically different.

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

GTS Dean;

Glad you posted about the top thing. Yeah, I won't miss those tops one bit!

I think you were wise to look out for flying toupee's. Glad there was no problem.

Jim