And so it begins *** DEALER MARKUP***

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also looks like on Autotrader, there is a LE that they are asking $131k for. Just listed recently :)

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With helicopter ben bernanke and the Fed saying they are going to up their bond buying (of already $85b a MONTH), the desire to overpay for these already expensive vehicles is just laughable.

The economy is weaking and no amount of QE will save it in the end.

There isn't a huge market for $100k+ two seatet 640hp cars, reality will bite these guys eventually. I predict you'll be able to buy a new LE at years end, unsold, well under MSRP.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With helicopter ben bernanke and the Fed saying they are going to up their bond buying (of already $85b a MONTH), the desire to overpay for these already expensive vehicles is just laughable.

The economy is weaking and no amount of QE will save it in the end.

There isn't a huge market for $100k+ two seatet 640hp cars, reality will bite these guys eventually. I predict you'll be able to buy a new LE at years end, unsold, well under MSRP.

For my sake, I hope you are right!! I want an LE really bad, just not $140k bad.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quite frankly ...I come on here most of the time with a lot snarky humor ( I think a $140k+ Viper is crazy) but, I hope all the 2013's are sold at MSRP and quickly!!! If they don't move them....they won't have the cash flow to build Verts and ACR's. You just can't make a good business case to keep building the car.

I am very very very worried they brought the car back too soon at too high a price. I think it was too soon to bring the car back as a "retro" model. It looks too much like the '96 sitting in a parking lot. Not a bad thing at all really. I just think it needed more evolution before a "retro" return to the past. A dealer was kind enough to bring a Gen V to one of our events when we were all inside having breakfast, I didn't even notice it when we came back out. It just blended in way too much for my liking. Too much old school is not always best.

Agreeing with ViperSmith above the market for this *****!! Im scared the Viper will go away again. I don't want to have to get a Vette 10 years from now!! :rolleyes:
Please please please coupe guys buy Vipers now! ... So I can get my 2015 vert ;) :usa:

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's Criswell - what do you expect? In 14 yrs of Viper ownership never had a worse experience then dealing with those guys, IMO, they know nothing about Vipers but trying to look like they do, I still whince thinking I let them touch my car, what a mistake.

People say, "dealer are dealers". Not me, there are "dealers and then there are dealers". We have several good ones on here & we know who they are, and in this community we all know who the jokers and wannebe's are.

I almost pulled the trigger 3 times on the genV, but after a good talk at the annual meeting with good ole Viper lovers like me, I'm droppin some goodies in the gen4 and will do a 2014 when calmer heads prevail and I have some options to what I order. My problem is I dont think I can wait long enough on the "ACR", an aero track pack car will proabably be my compromise.

Here's something funny:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20130426/BLOG06/130429911/why-the-stingrays-52k-sticker-should-come-with-an-asterisk#axzz2SAuElhHV

I
t's about C7 and potential for gouging, but at the end of the article:

Gouging Corvette customers is an especially bad idea. They're more likely than most to return for service. And they probably drive another car for everyday use.
That's how Chevy dealer Harry Criswell sees it. The dealer principal at Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, Md., already has taken $5,000 deposits on about 150 Stingray orders. He's selling all of them at sticker.
Criswell admits to pricing above sticker on hot launches in the past. But it's not worth it, he concludes.
"It creates too much controversy," Criswell says. "And consumers are so smart today, they'll be blogging and tweeting about what a **** you are before they even drive off the lot."

Um....yeah. Here you go, Harry. You ****.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the Gen V does well so the Geb VI will rip your eyes out of your head.

The nice thing is, you can have a $99k viper or you can built a $160k one. Time will tell if it works...

Though a LE @ $130k is temping...

Quite frankly ...I come on here most of the time with a lot snarky humor ( I think a $140k+ Viper is crazy) but, I hope all the 2013's are sold at MSRP and quickly!!! If they don't move them....they won't have the cash flow to build Verts and ACR's. You just can't make a good business case to keep building the car.

I am very very very worried they brought the car back too soon at too high a price. I think it was too soon to bring the car back as a "retro" model. It looks too much like the '96 sitting in a parking lot. Not a bad thing at all really. I just think it needed more evolution before a "retro" return to the past. A dealer was kind enough to bring a Gen V to one of our events when we were all inside having breakfast, I didn't even notice it when we came back out. It just blended in way too much for my liking. Too much old school is not always best.

Agreeing with ViperSmith above the market for this *****!! Im scared the Viper will go away again. I don't want to have to get a Vette 10 years from now!! :rolleyes:
Please please please coupe guys buy Vipers now! ... So I can get my 2015 vert ;) :usa:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'll take a 2015 vert too. actually i'll prolly be more interested in the gallardo successor then.;)

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they come back with an ACR version and I like it I will buy one; but, only from Woodhouse who I understand sell at MSRP. A lot of that is based on this forum and seeing how they take care of even small stuff, such as keeping us informed about the window regulators.

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paying over MSRP=Instant depreciation once you are off the lot.

Just be patient.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True. But paying ANY amount over MSRP is money you will never ever get back. The worse is when people finance it and pay interest on the ADM.
Even at MSRP or slightly less you will not get it back and yes I understand those not wanting to sell it down the road. As above post says, be patient and the prices WILL come down.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it is why SRT priced it at $140

You'll be able to pick LE well below MSRP by year end. Once the 14's start rolling out in August, there are going to be a lot of 13's on dealer lots. This ADM game will be short lived.

IWishIHadaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just stopped by a Burlingame, CA Dodge dealer this morning to look at a Launch Addition. Beautiful car, inside and out. Just gorgeous. I sat in the seat, smelled the interior and imagined myself not being able to hold out until the Vert is released. Then, I saw the $30,000
markup and realized that they are smoking crack at that dealership. Even though I'm not buying today, it sure puts an ugly taste in your mouth seeing that additional sticker placed upon an already pricey vehicle.

I mentioned that to the salesman and couldn't resist pointing out the deep 1/2" scratch they had already put on the right door sill.

Gawd....it sho' is pretty though.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just stopped by a Burlingame, CA Dodge dealer this morning to look at a Launch Addition. Beautiful car, inside and out. Just gorgeous. I sat in the seat, smelled the interior and imagined myself not being able to hold out until the Vert is released. Then, I saw the $30,000
markup and realized that they are smoking crack at that dealership. Even though I'm not buying today, it sure puts an ugly taste in your mouth seeing that additional sticker placed upon an already pricey vehicle.

I mentioned that to the salesman and couldn't resist pointing out the deep 1/2" scratch they had already put on the right door sill.

Gawd....it sho' is pretty though.

Paul Normandin of Normandin Chrysler sells them at MSRP, just down the road from Burlingame. Give him a shout. Good guy, he also owns a Viper and is a track rat.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep that sticker looks like it's extra wide......

You must be registered for see images

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The dealers always mark up specialty cars. Look at how many new 2008-2010 Vipers are out there. I found a bunch. The reason is the dealers put big mark up on them and they sat Thats what will happen with these. They will sit and eventually sell for the correct price. Unless some ***** pays the mark up. But if you are a Viper owner and the dealer marks up the new prices it helps us all with older Vipers. It will bring the market up and pull all our prices higher. Look at the new 458 Ferrari its 300k + and it has pulled pricing of all the older cars up big time. I have seen some of the 360 and 430 jump by 20K. Im my eyes go ahead and ad it on it only makes my car worth more. But I do agree it is shady and they do price out the working guy. A 90K car is reachable if you put your money away and save for it. When you put a car at 150K thats out of reach for 95% of the people that want a Viper. Thats why I didn't go with the new and picked a Gen IV I knew they were going to mark them up

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealers always mark up specialty cars. Look at how many new 2008-2010 Vipers are out there. I found a bunch. The reason is the dealers put big mark up on them and they sat Thats what will happen with these. They will sit and eventually sell for the correct price. Unless some ***** pays the mark up. But if you are a Viper owner and the dealer marks up the new prices it helps us all with older Vipers. It will bring the market up and pull all our prices higher. Look at the new 458 Ferrari its 300k + and it has pulled pricing of all the older cars up big time. I have seen some of the 360 and 430 jump by 20K. Im my eyes go ahead and ad it on it only makes my car worth more. But I do agree it is shady and they do price out the working guy. A 90K car is reachable if you put your money away and save for it. When you put a car at 150K thats out of reach for 95% of the people that want a Viper. Thats why I didn't go with the new and picked a Gen IV I knew they were going to mark them up

Go ahead and keep trying to make logical sense.....it doesn't work on this forum. :smirk:

I agree with what you're saying, it just appears that the Viper should not be subject to supply and demand like everything else in the free world :dunno:

It cracks me up that many dealers have mark ups on plain old Jeeps, Mini Vans, etc and nobody is busting balls over it....for some reason a rare, new, awesome, cool and desirable car should not be marked up.....who would have ever thought that??

If you average the price of every Gen 5 sold for the first 12 months, I'm guessing the out the door price with tax and license will be around $135k to $140k. So that is out of the reach of 95% of the people that want a Viper....even without markup. At $150k or more, you're looking at possible a $165K plus car out the door depending on where you live.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the most imporant thing to debate regarding the markup is the minimum sales quote that Fiat gave Dodge in order to have the car LIVE,

what was the sales number to hit and....

does having a car marked up at a dealer constitute a sale in Fiat's eyes or does it show as not sold.

The dealers could be KILLING the Viper off, inadvertently with their markup.

TractionControlOff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus they like having that focal point on their dealership floor amongst the 25K cars.
They are in no hurry to sell it, but if some sap comes in with 25K over MSRP they'll let it go.
A dealership near us has the red one on their floor and people have taken trips just to see it.

Who has it? I know there's one in Manhattan for sure.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Westbury Dodge has one, the dealer on the south shore has one (forget their name).

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Sarasota Dealer in Fl. Has the Blue one on the floor # 34 of 55, with the price of $149,000.00 on it, Original was 120,000.00, They already sold on order 4, have only one more to sell to order. ( they have a red on the floor as well, 98k, I don't likr that color. Not Stryker red. Crappy red.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Sarasota Dealer in Fl. Has the Blue one on the floor # 34 of 55, with the price of $149,000.00 on it, Original was 120,000.00, They already sold on order 4, have only one more to sell to order. ( they have a red on the floor as well, 98k, I don't likr that color. Not Stryker red. Crappy red.

Yep there's that extra sticker again ....

You must be registered for see images