announcing .... The NEW SSR Type C-RS (with pics)

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is the first picture of the NEW Speed Star Racing Type C-RS. It is the replacement for the SSR Comp-H.

You must be registered for see images

(decals are optional and it is available in a Viper specific 6-lug configuration )

In a specialized process perfected by Alumax, a leading aluminum manufacturer, uniquely structured alloy billets are heated to a semi-solid state (the consistency of soft butter) and molded in a specifically engineered forging press. The positive aspects of this process found applications in the aircraft and automotive sectors. Through an exclusive contract with Alumax, SSR conducted additional research and development and built their wheel manufacturing plant in Japan to produce alloy wheels using Semi-Solid Forging (SSF) technology. They further developed SSF technology, were granted a patent, and are the first and only SSF wheel manufacturer in the world today producing Semi-Solid Forged alloy wheels. This ultra high tech forging technology creates a very strong and lightweight wheel ideal for street or track.

In the 1980s, SSR researched and developed magnesium and titanium wheels in an effort to improve upon cast aluminum wheels that had reached their performance potential. SSR studied the feasibility of bringing magnesium and titanium wheels to the market and found several drawbacks, among them high cost and limited production capacity.

SSR knew, though, that higher quality, lower cost, well-designed wheels were what the customer wanted and in 1991 learned of the advanced technology of semi-solid forging (SSF). This technology was being used to produce parts for the aircraft industry where low weight and reliability are crucial. So, SSR obtained a license to use SSF technology from Alumax Laboratories and after one year of research and development built their now-patented wheel manufacturing plant in Nara, Japan.

Forging is the process of forcing a solid billet of aluminum alloy between forging dies under an extreme amount of pressure. This creates a finished product that is very dense, very strong. Less aluminum alloy is used to meet the strength requirements for the intended application resulting in very lightweight wheels. The costs of tooling, development, equipment, etc., limit the designs available and usually demand a high price in the aftermarket. Many racers have been willing to pay the premium price required to acquire strong wheels that are lightweight.

The casting process, pouring molten metal into a mold, offers a very reasonable production cost and is a good method for casting designs that are more visually oriented or when reducing weight is not a primary concern. The high heat used introduces impurities into the metals and results in a more brittle, branch-like microstructure that is more susceptible to breakage along its weak points. Cast wheels can be equal in strength to forged wheels but, in order to meet the demands for use on a vehicle, more alloy is used resulting in a heavier wheel. Cast wheels offer consumers the greatest variety of designs at the lowest price and are adequate for most street use applications.
Further research led scientists to develop a process whereby mechanically agitating (stirring/mixing) alloys during the solidification process changed the original microstructure of the alloy from a branch-like structure to a globule granular structure. Alumax then perfected the aluminum stirring process, Magneto-Hydro Dynamics (MHD), and created the basis of SSF technology which results in a pure cylindrical alloy billet consistently free of non-metals, gasses, oxides and other impurities. This MHD billet, when heated to a specific temperature, attains a semi-solid form (consistency of soft butter). After pressed into a mold at a very high rate, the shaped product retains the preferred globule granular microstructure. The end product is very dense and strong allowing the manufacturer to use less aluminum alloy and still meet the engineering criteria for the intended use.

Casting's Conventional
Branch-Like Alloy Structure

SSF's Semi-Solid
Globule Granular Alloy Structure

Today, SSR is the only wheel manufacturer in the world to produce SSF aluminum wheels. SSR continues to research ways to further develop SSF, creating beautiful, lightweight and strong wheels that benefit the customer via function and beauty as well as enhanced performance—all at a lower cost than forging or casting.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Luke. Here is a picture of a Gen III with the new wheels and Sport Cups (sans decals).

498100_2070-med.jpg

1999GTSsilverwblue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke,

My metallurgical experience Magnesium Semi-Solids is that Tensile strenght is equivalent to Forged Magnesium ,BUT ELONGATION AT BREAKAGE is significantly LOWER (meaning more brittle)Also cyclic fatique is lower.

The data comes from work at JSW (Japan Steel Works). They say it applies to aluminum also.

Could you please supply Material DATA Comparison with Forged?

OP
OP
L

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in my metallurgical experience ..... well, I don't have any ...

sorry, but I do not have any data comparison ... I will see if I can dig some up for you

RB185AFM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much do these rims weigh and cost? I think I am going to sell my CCW 505A rims to pick up a set so I can run drag raidials.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets