Any lawyers here? Need help with tow truck incident on 3000GT VR4

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the tow truck place today and told them I needed my car towed. I told her the make and model. 1994 3000GT VR4. I needed it towed to my local performance shop for some turbo upgrades. Anyway. I told them I would be at work and the keys would by at my Grandparent's house which is next to mine.

They came and towed the car, but they towed it with the 2 rear tires on the ground, and my car is all wheel drive. I was told this probably damaged my transfer case.

I am looking for opinions here before I approach the town truck company about any damages. Luckily the guy at the speed shop noticed how the car was towed and told the tow truck guy. I also called the tow truck company to let them know there might be damage.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing to do is to document EVERYTHING, every event, every conversation, every persons name, etc. Next, any future communications should be in writing. Have the car assessed for damage, get a full written report if there is damage. Find a local attorney and have them write a demand letter for the damages. If they don't cooperate, you will probably have to go to small claims court. Your claim will probably be too small to retain an attorney.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the future, don't just tell them what kind of car it is, be sure to clarify any special towing needs, e.g., flatbed. Don't expect a towing company to be an expert on every vehicle out there and know their special needs.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a tag inside of the drivers door jam that states just how to tow it. I know as my 94 had it.

Your transfer case is toast now. It may not act like it right away, but it is done.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it frustrating that the first thing you want to do is get a lawyer. At some point you have to look in a mirror and accept some accountability here. You own the car, you know it's a 4 wheel drive, you know it can't be towed with anything other than a flatbed and yet you simply call them and say tow my car? No mention that it needs a flat bed? What were you thinking? Why would you leave something like that up to chance? Its a bad deal and I feel for you because of the potential damage but I think the blame here is at least 50% your fault if not more. One of life's lessons. You'll have a tough time in court with this one.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it frustrating that the first thing you want to do is get a lawyer. At some point you have to look in a mirror and accept some accountability here. You own the car, you know it's a 4 wheel drive, you know it can't be towed with anything other than a flatbed and yet you simply call them and say tow my car? No mention that it needs a flat bed? What were you thinking? Why would you leave something like that up to chance? Its a bad deal and I feel for you because of the potential damage but I think the blame here is at least 50% your fault if not more. One of life's lessons. You'll have a tough time in court with this one.

Hey, that's the American way! The courts put no responsibility on individuals and everything on the companies. Sue everyone and often. Let's keep lawyers employed.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the majority of 3000GTs were not all wheel drive, you can't expect the towing company to know that your car was being damaged by being towed as if it was a front wheel drive car. Forget about a lawyer and start looking for a used or rebuilt transfer case.

DrDJ

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didn't realize when i went to a professional I had to tell them how to do their job. Maybe THEY should ask questions about everyone's vehicle before they take the keys and tow.

What if I was a 60 year old lady with an all wheel drive wagon. Do i still get the blame for not telling them it's AWD? I think not. It is clearly THEIR Fault! THey were hired to do something they are trained to do, it's not my responsibility to tell them anything that they don't ask.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didn't realize when i went to a professional I had to tell them how to do their job. Maybe THEY should ask questions about everyone's vehicle before they take the keys and tow.

What if I was a 60 year old lady with an all wheel drive wagon. Do i still get the blame for not telling them it's AWD? I think not. It is clearly THEIR Fault! THey were hired to do something they are trained to do, it's not my responsibility to tell them anything that they don't ask.

Well I can see that you certainly are not going to accept any responsibility on this and I guess if I was in your shoes with a potential lawsuit approaching I wouldnt admit any fault either on a public forum where they could use your admission of guilt as evidence. Please do me a favor. If you're ever walking by my house in the winter and the sidewalk happens to have a little snow on it, walk across the street on my neibours side. I wouldnt want to be responsible for you if you happened to forget how to walk temporarily and slipped and fell and hurt yourself. And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...if you ever decide to break into my house and rob me make sure to hire a lawyer first so you dont do anything wrong and bring :cool: a video camera so the courts can explain to your loved ones that sue me exactly where you were positioned when you felt that sharp piercing pain between your eyes just before you fell to the ground...LOL

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Professionals in any profession should know what they are doing and should take repnsibility for their actions.

2) the cost of a new or used transfer case is nothing compared to what you will spend on a lawyer, start looking for a new case.

3) once you have a cost, ask/demand that the tow company pay for the part they have broken

4) In the future ask for a flat bed tow truck if you know that is what you are going to need, an ounce of prevention....

5) You may not get a penny from the Tow company as the knowledge you expect them to have is not what a judge would expect of them to have, maybe next time ask your tuner shop to pick up the car with their own tow service

6) I sympathize with your plight, good luck but do not expect much and be prepared to move on.

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, that's the American way! The courts put no responsibility on individuals and everything on the companies. Sue everyone and often. Let's keep lawyers employed.
I Agree the whole I'm going to Sue is Pathetic.

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all. It appears all you smart azzes can't even read. I never once mentioned about suing anyone. I asked if there were any lawyers here for some legal advice. I am quite aware it would not be worth suing over this. I hope all of you who think this is funny and are making fun of me have something similar happen to you one day. Especially Rizzo. Take your smartazz comments over to the other viper board.

Also, I talked to the tow truck company and they are accepting responsibility. However they want to try to fix it, but they do not work on transmissions to begin with. They only do body work.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clearly your first mistake is owning a 3000GT VR4....

Second is posting it in the wrong section.

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you even own a Viper?

Go over on your Honda forums where you belong.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you even own a Viper?

Go over on your Honda forums where you belong.

Sorry I apologize for having common sense....

Seriously if your Viper had to be towed would you not request a flatbed or would you expect them to KNOW to bring a flatbed or else you'll sue????

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not the Viper in question here. Again, I never said about suing. Unreal.

Knock it off already. I came here to get opinions from other people. Not argue over the internet.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is a professional business and they are holding themselves out as such, then, in my UNPROFESSIONAL opinion (this is not a professional opinion.....and I stress that), they are left holding the bag. You hired them. They blew it. They should have insurance. I would go after them.

Let me ask you a simple question......if they towed the car and then, while towing, got into an accident with another car and your car was damaged, you would say that they were liable. Correct?

So, in this case, they did not have an accident with another car, but used unreasonable care for what would be common practice in the industry. They did not use that. They did not look at the simple instructions for towing. Did not look at the warnings on the side plate. Did not look at the owners manual. Did not have the knowledge that would be common in the industry.

Sic em boy.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302