Any of you all use these type of ramps for smaller servicing?

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sweet setup Daniel, I like those rears, so did you just jack up the rear like Dave and lower the car onto those? Also "how" do you guys use the jack on the rear, Dave I noticed you have 2, do you go up at the same time with both looks like? What about you Daniel? Thanks!!! I definately think this is a good alternative, although seems a bit pricy, almost 500 for your setup Daniel.

Just drive onto the ramps. Then, using the same rear jack points as dave6666, lift the rear high enough to slide in the wheel cribs and lower the vehicle onto them. I've done this using a single jack and two jacks. It's a bit tricky with a single jack because obviously one side will always be higher than the other so you have to alternate sides to get both sides high enough. I use several stacked 2x10 boards under the rear tire furthest from the jack to support the vehicle while switching sides. You might also need to use a 2x4 between the jack and frame to get the necessary height if your jack does not lift very high.

My vehicle is lowered so I have to put down a couple 2x10 boards in front of the ramp so the fascia will not scrape.

It is pricey, but I feel much better working under the vehicle supported this way with a jack and jack stands as backups than just the jack stands.

dave6666 made his own blocks to put under his tires. I believe he just used some 2x4 and capped it with plywood. He may have just used plywood. I don't recall. He will clarify if he reads this. Those probably cost about $10 or $15 and an hour of time.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i love them, highly recommend! :2tu:

Attachments

• Ramp 1.jpg
    Ramp 1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Ramp 2.jpg
    Ramp 2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Ramp 3.jpg
    Ramp 3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 76

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crap man your brakes fell off!!!

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recommend the 2-piece ramps, they cost a little more but are much more convenient. Use ramps up front and floor jack for the rear and the car is in the air in just a quick couple minutes.
picture.php

picture.php

:tx:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed, you will curse if you have to keep going around the ramp with the creeper and put yourself at a weird angle to get to certain bolts because the one piece ramp is in your way. I'm so glad I got the 2 piece race ramps and canceled my order on the 4 post lift

I recommend the 2-piece ramps, they cost a little more but are much more convenient. Use ramps up front and floor jack for the rear and the car is in the air in just a quick couple minutes.
:tx:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont have the pics anymore, but i remember someone awhile back building their own ramps out of layered 2x12's. the ramps were quite long (abour 5' maybe?) and the entry ends were cut at a steep angle. they didnt look as good as the plastic ramps, but i am sure they were alot cheaper and you could always paint them if you wanted. :)

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes i explored that option, for me the two piece sold me, the two piece ramps allowed me to store it better and allowed me to use a creeper more effectively plus those wood rams must weigh a ton :D

i dont have the pics anymore, but i remember someone awhile back building their own ramps out of layered 2x12's. the ramps were quite long (abour 5' maybe?) and the entry ends were cut at a steep angle. they didnt look as good as the plastic ramps, but i am sure they were alot cheaper and you could always paint them if you wanted. :)

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment JohnnyV. It wasn't hard to be clean in these pictures since both were pretty new at the time. The garage was just finished a couple months before the pictures and the ramps were brand new and being used for the first time.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

sorry, really dumb question. Why are you using two jacks and car stands? I'm looking into either getting race blocks for rear wheels or car stands. Is it best to use two or is it fine to raise one side at a time.?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its faster to get it up on jacks.......to get it on the race blocks you will need to put in on stands first, jack on side up higher the increase the hight then go over the the other side jack it up higher the increase the jack hight until you are able to fit the blocks under the wheels, its really good to do if you are doing a oil change to get proper drainage, you shouldnt do a oil change if the car is at an angle IMO, also if you need to pull a transmission in the (we all will at some point on our viper, I feel more secure with is on blocks and a set out jack stands as back up, well worth the extra $99 for the blocks, i have some pictures on my set up a few posts up

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too looked at the KwikLift years ago and couldn't justify the expense. In fact, a friend of mine had one.

With a "normal" garage ceiling a mid-rise is great for pulling wheels, detailing, etc...and with boards on the floor my Vipers just clear. Mine lifts 50" max.

Last edited:

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I went that route at first. It works if you don't mind lugging 50lb ramps all over your garage. It gets old FAST.

Raceramps are amazing. They are light as a feather and very strong. I have a ton of the raceramp products. Wheel cribs, ramps to soften the angle to my trailer, service ramps, etc.. raceramps are WELL worth it.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
its faster to get it up on jacks.......to get it on the race blocks you will need to put in on stands first, jack on side up higher the increase the hight then go over the the other side jack it up higher the increase the jack hight until you are able to fit the blocks under the wheels,

Not so. Buy the two piece blocks. I bought the two piece 8" blocks. They separate into 3.75" sections which you can fit under the wheels without needing to jack up a side at a time. Just jack from the middle in the back, then a side at a time in the front which you'd have to do anyway. If you want more than 3.75" per block you can get two piece 10" blocks, two piece 12" blocks, etc..l where each one splits into 5" or 6" blocks. The easy way to test is just jack up the rear of the car and measure the distance between the bottom of the tire and the floor.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmmm wish I knew that, I bought the one piece 10 inch cradle blocks . oh well.....I bought the 10 inch 2 piece front ramps so in the future I can easily remove a transmission and you want to match the rear cradle to the fronts hight so you and properly drain all the old oil out. Yes you can jack the rear up with your jack then measure (remember to measure frame to floor then measure frame to bottom of tire when completely extended then add the two number together) .... but most home jacks will not raise to that height and you will need to use wood blocks on your jack, its no big deal and rather have higher ramps for better under car maneuverability and the ability to easily have clearance to pull a transmission when I need to do a clutch