Any opinions on a "freestanding" lift like this?

Swanny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been researching single post and 4-post lifts and there's a lot of great information in the several threads I've found so far.

But I haven't seen any comments about this type of lift:

You must be registered for see images attach

BendPak PL-7000X Parking Lift, 7,000 Lb. Capacity, Two-Post, Extended Rise

In my case there are advantages and disadvantages to every lift. All lifts (single, 4-post, and this freestanding one) will work in one of my two two-car garages so I'm looking for any insights you guys have on this particular type of "freestanding" lift.

This lift could be tucked back into the garage further and be more out of the way than a 4-post, especially when the lift is up. I've determined only the smaller 4-post lifts will work in my situation and my top choice 4-post lift only has 75" wide ramps (outside to outside) so this lift would have a wider ramp at 85".

I also like the single post lifts. But they need to be anchored. Also, my top choice single post has an 80" wide ramp which allows only 2.5" of clearance on each side of the 75" wide Viper (at the rear tires). However, single post lifts are pretty much completely out of the way when they're up, which is a great advantage.

I would need to measure this but this freestanding lift could be a problem with opening the Viper's door --- but with the Viper's long front end I'm thinking that won't be an issue. It also doesn't appear that this lift could be used with a bridge jack (like on a 4-post lift) but my research hasn't gotten that far.

I'll be doing only light maintenance and detailing with a lift. It will mostly be used to just add another parking space.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see how this would be more out of the way with those two huge rails on the floor. It doesn't seem like it would have a caster kit if you want to move it. For the price I found you could get two 7,000lb 4 post extra wide extra high lifts. I was worried about my 4 post being in the way but the bigger the lift the less intrusive it is. Basically the best sceanario is to get the posts as far to the corners of the bay as possible.

Here's the thread I posted on mine... I absolutely love it now that I've had it for several months. I leave the ramps on all the time and it has exceeded all of my expectations.

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/633587-dannmar-d7-x-4-post-lift-experience.html

OP
OP
S

Swanny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't see how this would be more out of the way with those two huge rails on the floor.

The problem in my situation is that I have a two car garage stall. The larger the 4-post lift the more it's in the way of the other bay.

Those two huge rails on the floor of the "freestanding" lift are quite a bit smaller (4' to 6' shorter lengthwise and up to 2' narrower) then a 4-post lift's columns would be. That additional space would help a lot in getting another vehicle in the second bay. They're also on the floor so the sideview mirrors become a non-issue.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like my friend's [ 7000lbs Dannmar ] hoist . Freestanding and can be rolled around on castors when needed.

You must be registered for see images

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the dimensions WxLxH of the garage and the overhead door size ? Distance between doors ?

The problem in my situation is that I have a two car garage stall. The larger the 4-post lift the more it's in the way of the other bay.

Those two huge rails on the floor of the "freestanding" lift are quite a bit smaller (4' to 6' shorter lengthwise and up to 2' narrower) then a 4-post lift's columns would be. That additional space would help a lot in getting another vehicle in the second bay. They're also on the floor so the sideview mirrors become a non-issue.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like my 2 post Rotary because I can do wheel/brake work. Not as easy as the drive on kind but I got a hell of a deal on it.

Ron

OP
OP
S

Swanny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why do you need a lift that has ramps wider than 75" to the outsides ?

For a 4-post lift, since they're flat on top (no lips sticking up in the way of the wheels) I probably don't need wider than 75". But it would be nicer if it were a bit wider than that since the outside wheel to outside wheel dimension is 75".

For a 1-post or a "freestanding" lift like in the picture above wider is better because they have lips on the edges that will scrape the wheels if you don't go on the platform straight.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swanny
I can answer a lot of the questions you sent me about this lift if you want to stop by and see them for yourself. I am leading the Gateway cruise next weekend if you are available. I sent you a pm back.....
Also, regarding your question about the controllers.... They are freestanding and they are mounted out of sight behind the doors directly behind the large upright post..

I LOVE the single post lifts.... :headbang:

* These are storage lifts *
As far as working on your car, you can do just about any type of work that can be done between the cars' frame rails. (i.e. changing oil etc...)
That's about it...

This is an earlier photo while garage was under construction. But you can see the additional "usable space with the single post...

The carpenter was a little nervous working under the cars at first...:omg:
The additional "postless" space is a big advantage if you use your garage alot....:D

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW IMO...
I think you will regret getting the lift in your original post.

If you are going to get a two post, and give up the additional space underneath, I would get a lift with the radial arms. That way you can service and work on on your wheels, brakes etc. Your wheels will be freestanding when the car is lifted.
The above lift has ramps and therefore you can't remove the wheels when the car is lifted. Even with a lift jack, the ramps are in the way....:dunno:

Again, IMHO from experience....

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you anchor that bad boy with only one post ?

Swanny
I can answer a lot of the questions you sent me about this lift if you want to stop by and see them for yourself. I am leading the Gateway cruise next weekend if you are available. I sent you a pm back.....
Also, regarding your question about the controllers.... They are freestanding and they are mounted out of sight behind the doors directly behind the large upright post..

I LOVE the single post lifts.... :headbang:

* These are storage lifts *
As far as working on your car, you can do just about any type of work that can be done between the cars' frame rails. (i.e. changing oil etc...)
That's about it...

This is an earlier photo while garage was under construction. But you can see the additional "usable space with the single post...

The carpenter was a little nervous working under the cars at first...:omg:
The additional "postless" space is a big advantage if you use your garage alot....:D

OP
OP
S

Swanny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much are all these ? Any help with getting them installed ??? thanks !!!!

The lift in the first picture (two posts with a platform that rises) is maybe $4,000-$4,500.

A solid 4-post lift is probably $2,500 - $3,500.

The one posts, like treesnake said, are maybe $5,000 - $6,000.

Most (all?) of these lifts can be installed by a professional for $500+.

There are many, many posts on lifts if you do a search.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4