Anybody have a 2005 service manual ??

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I may be able to help... have a few things memorized from the 05 manual. I can also get ahold of one tomorrow if need be.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to know about the knock sensor wires. Normally a knock sensor has one wire and generates its own voltage to sent to the pcm. The 05 Viper has two wires....maybe it's as simple as one being a ground and the other a signal wire, but there are different types of sensors.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sort of guessed it would be about the knock sensor. Sadly, the 05 manual has deleted MOST of the index...now down to 1.5 pages...with NO MENTION of knock sensor. Have looked under PCM, ignition, and fuel delivery...no luck yet. Also went through Powertrain diagnostic manual with no luck yet.

Stopped by a dealer, Tech gone, but was able to find knock sensor on parts computer...they show 2 (looks like it may be the same part number for the Hemi according to the parts guy)

Had HOPED to have a quick and easy answer for you, but will have to settle down and try to find it by tracing wireing diagrams !!!!

Would bet that a REAL Viper Tech will jump in here before I find it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1TONY1- I have researched this topic EXTREMELY well. Dig up some of my old posts about "05 changes" and you will see. I was contemplating putting a package together in order to add knock sensors to 03's and 04's.

The 2 Knock sensors in an 05 take 5V+ from the same sensor supply voltage as the rest of them, and each have an individual knock signal. The signal is given to pin 7 and pin 18 on the C3 PCM connector.

In order to add **** sensors to an 04, you will have to add knock sensor mounts, 2 sensors, an 05 engine wiring harness, an 05 PCM, and pick up an 05 C104 engine/chassis 20 pin connector. (have to buy elsewhere than Dodge)

The engine harness will plug right in to everything and supply your 5+V, however you will need to swap the connector for the flywheel sensor, as 05 want back to a crank sensor to save some $$. The 03/04s use a 14 pin c104 connector, so you will need to get a diagram to put the correct 14 wires into thir respective places on the chassis side into the 20 pin you will have to pick up. this will then plug into the new engine harness's 20 pin, of which 16 pins are used- 14 same as 04, +2 signals- DB/YL and BR/YL. Run the two signal wires to the correct pins from the C104 connector to the C3 PCM connector, and plug into the 2005 PCM.

Other option that simplifies the process, but adds cost is to swap the engine harness AND front chassis harness with 2005 parts. Then the only thing you have to deal with is adding the sensors themselves, and swapping the crank connector.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Man, you DO have this down COLD, Dan. I FINALLY found a diagram of the wiring that you described...it is on page 8W-30-11 in the 2005 Service Manual in case anyone's interested...I have yet to locate any text info on the knock sensor itself...will keep looking.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
STEVE- They seemed to have forgotten to add anything on the knock sensors to the manual. I have two knock sensors in stock, I got the part number off of a picture an 05 owner posted. The Knock Sensors are not in Dodge's dealerconnect program, nor listed anywhere else pertaining to "Viper".

I am told they are the same knock sensors found on the 360 Magnum and the Hemi, though I havent checked this out conclusively.

I am planning on doing the swap as part of a package I am putting together for the SRT-10s, of course my car will be going under the knife first, so I can **** out any possible problems.

If anyone gets around to doing this before me- post what you find!

Thanks,

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Daniel and Steve.

Steve, can you confirm the 5 volt source going to the sensor ? Also the other wire (ground maybe) ? I am actually working on the 96 GTS not the 04 SRT. I think my application (AEM)needs the kind of knock sensor that makes it's own voltage and has one wire. Actually it can have more than one wire and not to say it couldn't work but it would be best/easiest if it was the "make its own voltage" type.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Tony, yes, to me it looks like the same 5v as other sensors mentioned...but I am admittedly weak with said diagrams.

Tony and Dan: if you guys can e-mail your fax numbers to me, I will be happy to send the few diagrams/pin-outs/etc. that I have found in the Service Manual as well as the page thatthe parts guy printed out for me from his computer.

Dan, it is interesting that the pin-out chart for Powertrain Control Module C3 noted in the Service Manual for pins 7 and 18 have data, BUT the same chart in the separate Powertrain Diagnostic Manual has blanks by those pins. GLAD that YOU were kind enough to share your info with the rest of us !!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
STEVE- That actually doesnt surprise me. For a company who wasnt thinking hard enough to remember to actually include the sensor in the manual, it doesnt surprise me that they forgot all about the PDM manual.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I realize that the index issue mentioned above sounds like a small deal (and, it is !!)...BUT, there were 18.5 pages to index in 2004 Service Manual...at least one had half a chance of finding a starting point. Now we find 1.5 pages of index...got to wonder ...WHY?????? Oh well...

Hope you guys got the faxes...for what they are worth.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize that the index issue mentioned above sounds like a small deal (and, it is !!)...BUT, there were 18.5 pages to index in 2004 Service Manual...at least one had half a chance of finding a starting point. Now we find 1.5 pages of index...got to wonder ...WHY?????? Oh well...

Hope you guys got the faxes...for what they are worth.

Thanks Steve. Got the fax, just haven't had time to look it over.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You're welcome, Tony.

It will be interesting to see what you decide to do.

I also find that it is VERY interesting to see "knock sensor" listed in the index as as far back as the 2002 Service Manual...especially, as the 2002 didn't have knock sensors...at least as far as I can tell. Maybe someone can enlighten me here ????

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No knock sensors in 1992-2004... They are listed simply because they use a generic "pattern" to produce the manuals, and no one ommitted it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte