Anybody putting a front license plate bracket on for VOI 8?

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the VOI is in Dallas this year and Texas seems to be cracking down on cars w/o a front plate I was wondering if anyone was considering putting on a front bracket. If so what options are available? I've read about one from Lee Dove and another from PartsRack. It seems the Visitor and Convention Bureau of Texas would be against ticketing out of state drivers attending the VOI. Thoughts?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your state doesn't require a front plate then you don't have to put one on to drive in Texas.... Otherwise, you'd see a lot of people hopping out at the first rest stop on the interstate with screwdrivers and plates. ;)

Even if your state does require them, I don't think Texas can ticket you for violating your state statutes.

No worries.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Plate Bracket Woes......

The BC VCA makes a twin-wishbone hard rubber snap-in bracket for Gen 1, Gen, 2, SRT-10. It can be set WIDE to accomodate Overseas long plates.

SNAPS into grille crosshairs in 15 seconds. Removes in 30 seconds.

Keep it in the trunk, and IF you get stopped you simply say:

OOOPS! I took it off at the carwash, thanks officer, Ill snap it right back ON!

$49 at PartsRack, no sales to Canada (BC VCA has Canada)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, Missouri requires front plates and Kansas (and many others) do not. I doubt that the Texas HP keeps tabs on which states do and don't have front plates and can't imagine they would ticket you for it. I believe that all states surrounding Texas require only rear plates (Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, & Louisiana) - can you imagine them pulling them all over? Not a chance.

HOWEVER, I have been reading up on the "obscured plate" law in Texas that was passed this last fall and my novice interpretation is that they can indeed pull you over for that regardless of what state you are from. It reads, in part: "SECTION 2. Subsection (a), Section 502.409, Transportation Code, is amended to read as follows:
(a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that: (snip) (6) has an attached illuminated device or [is a] sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers on the plate or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered."

Note that last sentence that seems to cover any and all vehicles from any state. The law was designed to kill off the neon frames, as well as the "diffuser" covers that screw up laser and photo radar. If you have ANY cover over your plates, even clear, they can pull you over and fine you $200. But that's not all! It also covers simple license plate frames, which MANY of us have on our Vipers. If the frame covers part or all of the state name in which it was issued (Kansas, Alaska, whatever), then they can ticket you for that as well. You can read the actual Texas state bill here.

Bottom line: I wouldn't worry about the front plates if you are out of state, especially where they are not required originally (Kansas, etc.). However, as the most overzealous law enforcement on this new law seems to be in Dallas and San Antonio, I would recommend you think twice about that plastic cover or that awesome frame that covers up your state name and/or other lettering. Everybody knows that some cops (but definitely not all) just look for any excuse to pull over a sports or exotic car. Don't give them this one.

PS. Note to all Texas troopers. I will be driving a red Corvette with Hawaii license plates... ;)

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some ding **** lady in Senate passed law because a lot of people were not paying at the toll booths & were covering their plate so the camera could not get a good picture.
( plastic sheets ) She said she did not intend it to be a law to outlaw lic. plate frames, she even had one on her car from a dealership. This just gives Houston cops a reason to pull over almost any car on Houston streets.
I'll take my chances!

Andy

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris is right, if they are like California they can enforce their laws regardless of which state you are from. My bother is a CHP officer and he said he could but wouldn't enforce a front license plate, but would enforce the window tinting law, for safety reasons, even if the state the driver was from allowed it.

I personally don't think we have to worry about this in Texas.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, yes our club also designed one for the SRT...available from Jon B.
It works perfectly and like Jon said it only takes a matter of seconds to put on or take off. Also stays on at VERY high speeds!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I got to thinking about the front license plate issue more last night as I drove around Missouri: They CANNOT possibly write you a ticket for no front plate if the originating state doesn't require it. I live in Kansas (no front plates) and travel in Missouri a lot (front plates required). Kansas City is also a "border city" where many people work in Missouri and live in Kansas. There is no possible way the folks in Missouri could ticket for front plates on Kansans - they would be pulling over every other car on the road, literally. You need only travel on any major interstate highway in any state (including Texas) to see a constant mix of "plated" and "plateless" cars/trucks, depending on the state they were from.

The front plate doesn't worry me at all. The pink neon light frame I have with the tinted cover could be a problem... ;)

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a difference between cannot and would not. They CAN enforce their states traffic laws, but like I said they probably wouldn't. You can legally drink in some states at 18, that doesn't mean you can come into California and drink just because your state allows it, (I know a little diffrent but the same concept)

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see how Texas (or any other state) can ticket you for lack of a front plate if your home state does not require one. Where are you suppose to get the plate for the front if your state doesn't issue one. I'm sure that if you called your local DMV and told them that you were traveling to Texas and could they please issue you a front plate so that you would not get a ticket that they would find it pretty funny. And, I'm also sure that Texas would not give you a plate when you crossed the state line to use while visiting there. So how could they possibly ticket you if you can't get a front plate?

Doc

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaaahhh, haahaa........ no pink license holder allowed in Springfield.... Chris, How many cars do think will be in town, what kind of facility do you want to meet at. I will search for whatever we need.
dave

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaaahhh, haahaa........ no pink license holder allowed in Springfield.... Chris, How many cars do think will be in town, what kind of facility do you want to meet at. I will search for whatever we need.
dave

Well, I am sure we will set up a thread for caravans in general or for the specific known caravans. Number of cars for our caravan? My guess is between 40 and 200. Why the disparity? Largely because of the routes traveled. Indeed, I might suggest we pull it closer to the Joplin area where I-35 & I-44 meet. I would guess we will get Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Kansas, & Missouri all going through that intersection. The northeast may also choose to go I-70 to I-44, in which case we could pick up a lot of other cars from Ohio, New York, etc. Likewise if the northwest chooses I-90, I-80, or I-70 over to I-35. Heck, it could end up being 300+ cars! Worst case scenario, plan on Gateway, Kansas City, and Chicago - which I would think would generate a minimum of 40 cars.

For VOI 6 in St. Louis, I know Kingman set up a pre-VOI meet in Branson for everybody coming up I-44. It was an overnight deal with a dinner, go karts, and some other stuff set up. I seem to recall he had around 100 Vipers show up - maybe more. Of course my goal is to get as many of the members from Kansas City involved this year as possible. We have always had a decent, but not spectacular showing. With Dallas being about as close to Kansas City as VOI is likely to be for a while, this is a great opportunity for us. I believe I have Allen (and his son) ready to go! ;)

Chris

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
NY police have pulled me over before for not having a front plate - but they could not ticket. I would assume the same holds for Texas, I mean realistically how could they expect you to modify your car to meet all 50 state conditions?

I fully expect to be pulled over for this at some point during the cruise down, so I'm going to try my best to avoid provoking other fines...

Brad - there is a difference between behavioral laws (drinking, speeding, indecent exposure) and regulatory laws (emissions, front plates, window tint.)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not believe a state can enforce its unique vehicle laws on another state. If so could you imagine states like California requiring you to get a CA certified vehicle to enter their state. Or Michigan requiring Ohio residents to take the Michigan drivers test before driving here. Hmm, the last one may be a good idea as they drive waayy too slow (j/k).

BTW I lived in Europe for several years and used a US plate the whole time without issue. I did need to apply the USA sticker and pass the annual inspection (TUV) which was a total *****. Thank goodness Michigan has no inspection like that!

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Texas and have 5 cars w/o front plates. I have never been bothered once. Don't worry.

I agree with the TUV = ***** statement. European co-workers often comment on the condition of cars on the roads here and that lots wouldn't pass their inspection.

BillS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm driving to and from VOI8 from Washington State, and my car runs hot. My plan is to order a vanity plate just before VOI8; The State will then issue a temporary paper plate for the back... no front plate required for 6-8 weeks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62