Anyone change their control arm bushings?

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last time I was under the car I noticed the front control arm bushings weren't in very good shape.

Anyone here change them out? Tator confirmed my assumption that it's a pain in the butt. I was thinking the easiest solution would be to take the parts out and have a shop do the bushings. Should I opt for poly over the stock rubber?

Any suggestions/comments? :2tu:

Thanks!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Im due for them as well. I hear little clicking/popping noises when going slow. Let me know what you end up doing.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id always think POLY was the better material. im gonna deal with this problem over the winter.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think poly vs stock rubber boils down to stiff ride/squeak vs soft ride/no squeak. I could be wrong.

Get your factory manual out and add up the cost of the special tools you'll need versus the labor quote for the shop work. I buy every tool the job calls for, and every job I come out ahead. Haven't priced this one, but someday I'll likely need bushings too.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I searched and wound up going with stock bushings. On this job I'm gonna pay someone to do it then realign and corner balance.

Racecars is working on making a set of higher performance bushings. However, if you change from OEM you'll have to do both front and rear, upper and lower. That's a lot of work and I'm not convenced it's a benefit overall for the cost.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I searched and wound up going with stock bushings. On this job I'm gonna pay someone to do it then realign and corner balance.

Racecars is working on making a set of higher performance bushings. However, if you change from OEM you'll have to do both front and rear, upper and lower. That's a lot of work and I'm not convenced it's a benefit overall for the cost.

Hey Carl,
Big Brake Dave(aka Racecars):D is getting qoutes now for the complete car, it will be better than stock, and not as hard as Delrin, something like poly but more high tech:omg:

Solid bushings, mono balls, heim joints are track ONLY cars, and will knock your eye teeth out:nono:

It's passed my bed time:2tu:

Oh:confused: you can only get front OEM bushings, they don't sell rears:crazy2: The fronts alone are $about 300 from Dodge:crazy2: (both sides upper & lower)

Big Brake Dave :drive:

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a Gen1 or a Gen2? Poly bushings for a Gen1 are hard to come by. I found only one place, and it was $600 for Delrin bushings. Unfortunately, there's not a good solution for rubber bushings for Gen1 any more either.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solid bushings, mono balls, heim joints are track ONLY cars, and will knock your eye teeth out:nono:

I do not agree with you on monoballs. However, I only did the lower wishbones.

Oh:confused: you can only get front OEM bushings, they don't sell rears:crazy2: The fronts alone are $about 300 from Dodge:crazy2: (both sides upper & lower)

Big Brake Dave :drive:

Not sure about the uppers, but the lower wishbone bushings are interchangeable for Gen2 and Gen3. The fronts and rears may be the same units, respectively.

The factory service tools are very nice to have when doing the bushings.

OP
OP
C

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I'm going to pull everything out and take the parts in to a shop to have the bushings replaced. That should save me at least a couple hundred in labor. I was quoted $750 to do it by my local Viper Tech.

This is a GEN 2 GTS.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21