Anyone ever put a hitch on their Viper?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious. Did not know if it was even possible. I am sure some redneck around here has done it. :D

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok you caught me, yesterday I fabricated a 2" receiver hitch for my 97' GTS. I haven't drilled the holes in the frame members yet so it is not on my car. Just forward of the resonator are two frame members which are 22" apart, I'm attaching 1/4" plates to these with bolts then extend the plate to the rear so the receiver is placed just below the resonator. I don't plan on pulling anything, I just wanted a convenient place to hang a bike/windsurfer rack that wouldn't show when I removed the rack.. Tom

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pics please. John, I have pics of a Viper with a trailer but have not seen the underside. I want one but it will need to have quick removal capability.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy Sjoberg has a hitch and has pulled a trailer all over the country. Trailers with the Viper shape are/were available through Autoform. I have no idea how it would be illegal.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the children Ron. Think of the children. Do you have any idea how many children have been injured from the inherently low positioning of a hitch on a Viper? The numbers must be astronomical. If it isn't a law it should be.

It's for the children. They are our future.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a hitch on my '94, so no tailpipes to worry about. The OEM bumper under the fascia is fiberglass, so I used 2" square tubing with flat plates on the end to mount to the ends of the frame rails. Made a reciever that is lined up with the (fake) slot under the bumper fascia. Cut a 2"x0.75" hole in the fake slot, so that's all that's seen without the hitch installed. Bought a 3' x 4' trailer, that with four tires, tool box, and jack, wieghs 400 pounds. Stable at 80 MPH.

It's highly convenient, and I get lots of comments, although I sense there is a great deal of trailer envy within the Viper community.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I seen a Viper in Daytona pulling a custom painted trailer with a custom painted bike to match the Viper about 3 years ago. I wanted to stop him and car jack him :D but since I purchased a Viper last year I finally stopped stalking him. ;)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found my pix. Here's inside the fascia - I bridged from the frame rail ends.
3600_00048_1-med.JPG

The fascia is attached to the rear of the car.
3600_00048-med.JPG

Without the ball in, it looks like this
3600_00008-med.JPG

and with the ball in place, it's like this.
3600_00011_1-med.JPG

(Sorry for the poor quality pix, now have better camera.)

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOT MINE!!!!!

You must be registered for see images

I wish the truck in the backround would run it over. Six or seven times should do the job right.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the children Ron. Think of the children. Do you have any idea how many children have been injured from the inherently low positioning of a hitch on a Viper? The numbers must be astronomical. If it isn't a law it should be.

It's for the children. They are our future.

LMAO :D

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GCHDEALER - Where did you get that trailer?

I have been looking at the U-Haul aero (or something like that) - want something sleek and light enough to move by hand.....

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking for info on One Lap events and voila...look what came up :

You must be registered for see images

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GCHDEALER - Where did you get that trailer?

I have been looking at the U-Haul aero (or something like that) - want something sleek and light enough to move by hand.....

This trailer is sold by Autoform. It was designed by Roy Sjoberg. Roy was the original Team Viper Leader (Executive Engineer was his title). Roy drives his rare (only '93 RT/10 with a tan interior AND tan top) to many Viper events with the trailer in tow.

It seems funny to me that so many quickly jump on the bandwagan to bad mouth a small trailer being towed behind the Viper.... the only other option Gen I RT/10 owners have if we want venture far from home is to do what many of us do.... go buy a trailer and a truck stout enough to tow our babies (It would have been cheaper to buy a trailer!). That is why Roy developed the trailer in the first place and why the Prowler could be factory orderd with a trailer.

Yes, we can drive with the soft top and side curtains on so we can pack the trunk with a few days of needs.... but driving an RT like that is not much fun
:(

The picture from the one lap is pretty funny.....

My 0.02 cents worth :)

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one on untill I went with an open trailer that I pull the car with now. I have the whole set-up available. It connects real easy to the frame. It was custom made. Call me on my cell: (914) 755 5145. If I don't answer, leave a message and I will get back to you. It's been sitting in my garage for a while taking up space.

I have to say, while I had it installed, it worked out great.

Andrew

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW. Didn't expect so many responces. I got all the cell phone messages and will respond tomorrow. I have pics. I'll try to post.....have to return the calls first.

Andrew

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make good pics......I love to cut and weld....maybe I can help everybody out. Also, when I do one for mine I would like to be able to pull pins up under the back and drop everything away except for the mounts. I'm thinking about a tire jack carrier to go into the hitch instead of a small trailer. Not sure how long a small/cheap trailer will last at 85+ mph and aggressive freeway driving :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss