Anyone ever use Dash Command in their Viper? Apple users?

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this talk about the Torque programs has me wondering.....

My wife is looking for a birthday present for me and was thinking about booking me up with this.

http://palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/iphone/index.php

Palmer Performance Dash Command with OBD II connector.

Any help????

I know the app is $50 and most say its over priced but meh I'm not worried about that if it works decent.

Any other suggestions for apple users??

Thanks!

-Tim

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have it with my Kiwi Wifi OBDII reader, works well and gives tons of info. I have used it in my daily driver but not the Viper yet. The app is $50 but will update as time goes along. Already came in handy to read a code off my daily driver as well.

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Kiwi 2 Wifi dongle and use Harrys Lap timer pro, and REV2 (DevToaster) similar to dash command.

I have had weird happenings with plugging in and unplugging, car not wanting to start, communication code errors, etc. Ive learned to not panic but it does seam to play havoc at times.

I haven't been able to track down sequence of events that create the communication issues, but I will pay a little more attention next season.

It seemed as though if I connected the dongle, started the application, ran a 20 min session, turned the car off leaving the dongle connected and walked away from the car with my phone in my pocket, when I came back the car would not start and check engine light would pop. Id unplug dongle, locked the doors, unlocked the doors put the key in in and press the go button it would start. Any other sequence it would just pop a communication error fault.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the ELM 327 OBDII wifi unit. I used the software that runs on my Laptop from wgsoft.de. Once I finally got the software and wifi working ( big hassel) it works good. I emailed Palmer Performance to ask if their iphone APP would work with the ELM327 they stated it should......I havent tried the App yet, However I plan on it in the comming weeks. For now I am able to see CEL codes and clear them from my laptop.. Cleared one on the viper when I changed out the battery and it threw a code.. it took 2 seconds to clear it . Most OBD apps I have searched for seem sketchy and have inconsistant reviews, I think Dash Command is the one to get based on what I have learned do far..

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The best OBD adapter on the market right now is the ScanTool OBDLink MX. It just went on sale for $149 too (reg $249) from the manufacturer, scantool.net. You can leave it plugged in, and the high speed comm permits real time monitoring and logging. It's low profile too, so you don't have to worry about accidentally hitting it with your feet/legs.

I was not impressed at all with DashCommand. Torque Pro is a *much* better app with tons more features.

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tattooed, is that the display for your Viper? If so, how did you get all those parameters to display like that? My Torque Pro screen looks nothing like that and I have not even seen how to show timing advance, intake air temp and a bunch of other readings you have on there.

Tom

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, that's the display for my Viper. I modified a theme to get the colors and style I wanted. For all of the gauges, I just added the size and type of gauge for each. You can run Torque Scan while the vehicle is running to see which standard PIDs apply to the Viper.

Last edited:

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Holy jeez. I am going to have to try and figure that out then. My display gauges look like a 2nd grader did it compared to your setup.

Thanks,

Tom