Anyone Here Learn To Code Later In Life?

Discussion in 'Sneaky Pete's Place' started by PhoenixGTS, Dec 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS Viper Owner

I have been a lawyer for 25 years, and after the Great Recession beat down the legal biz harder than other professions I found myself out of attractive options. For a long time I have been interested in data privacy legal issues (not 4th Amendment but addressing data-breaches etc) but without experience could not find a gig. So at way too old of an age I made a crazy decision: I went back to school and am now a computer science major. It has been some work to shake the rust of my math skills, but math is a linear pathway and all you have to do is work hard, now programming - that is a whole other story. As opposed to the linear path of math training, programming is like a spider web. I started learning Java and with the help of a tutor have done some pretty decent work on sophisticated data structures, then this past semester I finally got into C/C++ and experimented with Lisp and Prolog. Learning to code is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my life (in addition to going to law school I have a private pilot certificate with rotor and fixed wing ratings so I like challenges). Incredibly frustrating. I am interested in hearing if anyone else learned to code as a "grown-up," and if there was anything that made it "click" for you so that it became fun instead of drudgery.

2. markk

markk VCA Member - Northeast

I have coded in many languages over the years, but I struggle with the object oriented languages, like Java and C++. Give me C any day. I don't code as much as I used to and sometimes I miss it. But, with more systems moving to OO, I'm okay with stepping aside. Welcome to the geekdom.