Anyone tow with a V8 Explorer before????

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open or closed trailer, steel or aluminum. Closed trailer also have to consider drag. If you don't have already, get weight distributing hitch and sway control. My 5.9 Durango was rated around 8500lbs but did not handle my closed trailer well, my open trailer was no problem. I picked up a diesel Excursion and cannot tell the trailer is behind me.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey we already have a SpeedRacer on this board but it's spelled SSpeedRacer, looks like there might be some confusion in the future. Maybe you two should road race to see who keeps the moniker. I know SSpeedracer will be at TWS for the Viperdays finals. My $$$ is on SS
supergrin.gif

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if it helps, I am towing out there with a 99 Dakota, just turned 100,000 miles, without the tow package factory installed. But, I put in a trany cooler, and and extra leaf in the rear, I have a V8, 5.2 and am pulling an open 1500 lbs. trailer with an extra set of tires. I've done it before 2-3 hour trips and I'll do it this time, I hope. I've seen guys pull heavier with less and they make it.

Andrew

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Speed Racer you beat me to it!!!!! **** !!!! I'll race you for it at TWS!!!
smile.gif

You should have no problems at all towing your car. I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe and I have towed an open trailer for over 2 years. I have towed up to 8,000 lbs (my Impala SS) all the way to New York and back again with no problems at all. On a open trailer. Tow your Viper facing forward. The only thing I added to my Tahoe was airbags. By adding 3 lbs more to the right rear axle the car rode as level as could be. This is a must if your towing in my opionion.

Also when your going up a hill leave the car in 3rd gear not overdrive. That is the fastest way to eat-up your transmission.

Again you should feel comfortable towing your car

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SpeedRacer...

Actually...didn't the cartoon come first
smile.gif
I..like you...will be towing my car to VOI on a Sloan Kwik Load trailer that is built like your trailer(open and wind faring). My tow vehicle has about the same capabilities as yours and I have had no trouble at all with previous trips.
Will be leaving from Fort Worth so we may see you on the way...

No Flame Intended...Just Observation,
CStegall

SpeedRacer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everybody. I had to make a decision today and I decided to ship the car. A couple of things deterred me from towing. One, I don't have trailer brake controller installed, and my owner's manual says to have a distributed weight hitch if towing more than 3,500 lbs.
I'll trailer next time, once I know my Explorer is ready for it.
Lee

Yes, I know the cartoon came first! I was talking about forum usernames, of course.

SS- yeah, well I'm sure you'd beat me since I have no Viper Days experience. How about a drag race in stock SRTs?? Mine should be in soon! We can meet at the Texas Motorplex, instead of TWS.

SNAKOIL VA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It takes about 30 minutes total time to install the brake controller if you have the Ford tow package. Buy the controller and the adapter wiring system at Pep Boys. Connect the adapter to the plug under the center console and connect the loose wires to the controller. Adjust power to brakes- your done!

Weight distributing hitch is available at any trailer hitch place. 10 minutes max to install!

SpeedRacer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was considering towing my car to VOI with my V8 Explorer, but I've never towed more than 3,500 lbs with it before. It has the towing package, rated up to 7,000 lbs, but there are a lot of hills in Tennessee, and I will have 4 passengers plus luggage and about 5,500 lbs behind me.
Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks,
Lee

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SpeedRacer, i have a 2002 Explorer and trailor my buick gn. around there is absolutely no problems if you have the factory tow package. The previous Explorers would rock back and forth however the 2002 is like night and day difference because of the centre of gravity and lowering that was done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96