Archer Wins Portland in 3R Viper

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
July 25, 2004
Immediate Release

Archer Wins Portland in 3R Viper

5archerwinsportland2004small-med.jpg

Portland, Oregon -- Tommy Archer, driver of the number 22/c3controls/Whelen Engineering/3R Viper, drove to victory today at Portland Raceway in round five of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series.

Teammates Phil McClure and Tim Wiens finished third and fifth, resulting in all three 3R racers in the top five.

Archer led every lap from his pole position. The Duluth, Minnesota based driver was never challenged in the 50-minute race. Three yellow flags allowed Archer to conserve his tires and win his first event of the year. "Will Moody and the 3R crew did a great job all weekend. The car was awesome; it pulled real nice down the straight even though the weight of it appeared when I went through the turns. My competitors helped me a lot today with the yellows, it really aided with my tire wear. This is a good win for me, 3R and everyone associated with the Viper."

Teammate Phil McClure, driving the number 73/Aggregate Industries/3R Corvette, started in fifth place and moved into third from the start on lap one. "The car stayed good throughout the race. I had to be careful on the right pedal or I would loose my rear tires. The yellow flags benefited everyone. I opened up the lead to fourth so I could be more cautious with my tires, but I couldn't get into a passing position on Randy, third is a good result. The cooler weather today was a real blessing; the track was a lot less greasy."

Tim Wiens, driver of the number 33/1st Interstate Ins/3R Viper, started from the fifth row in tenth and moved up through the field all race to finish in a career best of fifth place. "The car was strong down the straight. The weather man gave us a break today so that helped with our tire wear, but the track was getting greasy towards the end. The Cadillac got into me a little and was able to get by towards the end. It was a great day for the 3R team, Tommy's win from pole is fantastic!"

The race will be televised on Speed Channel at 1:00 p.m. on August 1st. The next event for the Speed World Challenge GT Series will be a double race weekend at Mosport on August 7th and 8th.

Speed GT Top 10 Finishers at Portland:

1. Tommy Archer 3R Viper
2. Randy Pobst Audi
3. Phil McCLure 3R Corvette
4. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac
5. Tim Wiens 3R Viper
6. Mike McCann Viper
7. Leighton Reese Corvette
8. Greg Brockman Viper
9. Michael Galati Audi
10. Jim McCann Viper

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper