Are You Kidding..The Top DOES Come Off?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I did go to college, I know how to open a can of string beans and actually was known to be able to program a VCR back in the day.

However, I cannot figure how to get the soft top off my 98 RT/10!:mad:

Known as a bull all my life, what I am afraid of is just using force to get it off. The front latches were easy as the owners manual said, but nothing is really said about the back latches or whatever they are:dunno: I cannot find anything to "open" or do you move it forward, as in "lift front and move top forward to remove.

Anyone help???:confused:

Thanks.

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

:usa:FIREFIGHTERS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY:usa:

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
undo front(2) latches using key(allen wrench) then pop the clips(2) loose on the rear and carefully lift top off so you dont hit latches or clips on car, same for hard or soft top(hardtop is much easier to lift off with two people).

rear latches should have some sort of lever to move one side of clip mouth open, it helps a little to push down on the top above clip when un doing clip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, we'll try, but honestly my wife and I tried pulling, pushing and anything to get the back "latch" or whatever it is to move with no luck.:omg: Unlike the front latch, the back one isn't easy to get to and doesn't give you any sense of what to do with it.

So far, love the car, but intuitive...not exactly!:nono:

Thanks very much.

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The back latch has a tab with a rubbery covering that moves towards the outside of the car (that's port on the left and starboard on the right). It should stick out from the slot in the sport bar about 1/8th of an inch. Once you open it, it still holds on pretty good.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I'll look again. Both my wife and I looked in the area that had a latch, but we couldn't find anything or anyway to release it. :confused::confused::confused:

Regardless, thanks for the input.:headbang:

So, for the time being, I'll drive with the roof on :drive:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, been there done that!:omg:

Peter
Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the previous owner FIXED the top? Without telling you.

The rear latch is like a scissor clamping a pin - from underneath the sports bar you have to pry open the two ends against the force of a small spring. ON BOTH SIDES.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments....:2tu:

I live in New Fairfield, CT. I know there are two in town, one is a yellow 2001 RT/10 with work and the other is (all I know) a B&W GTS.:drive:

I have never seen the GTS, but see the yellow RT once in awhile. No idea when he drives it or where he lives.:dunno:

I am scheduled to bring the car into Tators on the 24th, so rather than mess and possibly break something (expensive or hard to replace), I may just wait and have Chuck show me.

Feel like a bit of a dork, but must admit the car is less than intuitive...thank goodness I have the owners manual.:headbang:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments....:2tu:

I live in New Fairfield, CT. I know there are two in town, one is a yellow 2001 RT/10 with work and the other is (all I know) a B&W GTS.:drive:

I have never seen the GTS, but see the yellow RT once in awhile. No idea when he drives it or where he lives.:dunno:

I am scheduled to bring the car into Tators on the 24th, so rather than mess and possibly break something (expensive or hard to replace), I may just wait and have Chuck show me.

Feel like a bit of a dork, but must admit the car is less than intuitive...thank goodness I have the owners manual.:headbang:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

New Fairfield? I'm in Cheshire. Wed looks like a clear day, I wouldn't mind taking a ride down near you and helping you out. PM me and we can talk logistics.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure and thanks for the offer. I don't usually get home before 6:30, but then can drive to.....

I see that Cheshire is north of Waterbury off 84. Where would be the most convenient place to meet up?

Let me know when you get a chance.

And, again, thanks very much.:2tu:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure and thanks for the offer. I don't usually get home before 6:30, but then can drive to.....

I see that Cheshire is north of Waterbury off 84. Where would be the most convenient place to meet up?

Let me know when you get a chance.

And, again, thanks very much.:2tu:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

Peter, I was planning on driving up to Danbury this week to pick up some stuff at the Complete Garage. So its not out of my way, we could always meet up there. I just found out that place closed and has a grand reopening this Sat with some huge tent sale. I will be there. If it's more convenient for you I can meet you there. They're located on 59 Federal Road in Danbury. I'll shoot you a PM with my phone number.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, Danbury would have been cool, know right where Federal is, my kids go to daycare right off Federal in Brookfield.

But......:( I am going on vacation on Friday to Florida to visit my in-laws with my kids....Friday to Monday.

I really appreciate the offer....don't go out of your way, as the car is scheduled to go into Chuck on the 24th. I can drive with the top on for another week or so...no biggie. Just imagine if Chuck couldn't get the roof off :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Or, maybe that's not really that funny:bonker: :bonker:

Thanks again....shows the great members of this club!:headbang:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just imagine if Chuck couldn't get the roof off :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Or, maybe that's not really that funny:bonker: :bonker:

Thanks again....shows the great members of this club!:headbang:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red

Not to worry Peter, I have plenty of pry bars and they all come off! :D :lmao:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, thanks to Tony and everyone for their "helpful hints," I managed to get the back latches open!:2tu: The hammer, chisel, pry bar and jack hammer were extremely useful in the major endeavor:bonker::bonker::bonker::bonker:

Now, onto figuring out how to lock the rear window in:crazy2: Does it ever end??? :brick:

Now, onto driving with the top off :2tu: Going on vacation for a few days, so won't be able to drive it yet:sadpace:

I must say, this is a great site with terrific members.:headbang::headbang: Glad I joined the site...just waiting for my VCA number :eater:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red (5k miles)

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And of course, as my backstop, I've got Chuck just waiting :eater: for me to drop off my car on the 24th. That way, anything I can't figure out, he can do:lmao:

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red (5k miles)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave