As if today's weather could be any worse....

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As if today\'s weather could be any worse....

My father got a call from his doctor today. He is diagnosed with diabetes. I'm just so upset right now and so scared for my own health. Even though they said that every other generation is possible to get it, I still feel like I'm able to. :(

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: As if today\'s weather could be any worse....

Sorry to hear about that. A good friend of mine was just diagnosed last month as well. Best luck with the situation.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Diabetes is controllable for the most part... the hardest thing is not being able to pig out on ice cream and cookies anymore. Good thing for artificial sweeteners. On the flip side, my grandmother passed away from complications from diabetes, and it was not pretty. But back then, she was diagnosed too late. Hopefully, your dad's doctor caught it in time. People with diabetes under control can live a long time. I'll send good thoughts your way.

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My wifes uncle has had type 2 for 20 yrs and is now 72 and doing fine. It CAN be managed, hang in and best wishes for the best outcomes possible.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As several others here have said, diabetes is a manageable disease, and assuming your father's condition was diagnosed early, there's every reason to hope he can manage it with few difficulties. I've had quite a bit of experience with this in my own family; my grandfather and two of his sisters were type I diabetics. While my grandfather died at a relatively young age from heart disease, both sisters lived well into their eighties.

Obviously, anyone with a family history of the disease is at higher risk, which means you should get your own bloood sugar level checked periodically, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over the possibility if I were you. My risk level is probably as high or higher than yours, and I have had zero problems-and I'm likely older than you as well (58). So do try not to worry too much, and my prayers and best wishes go out to your dad.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My wife is also a type two Diabetic. With "only" diet and exercise she has her blood sugar under perfect control. It took about five years, but her Endrocanologist (spelling?) said he wishes all his patients were as persistant as her. Much more is understood now than in the past. Many Diebetics never need insuline, and live out their lives "normally".

America's diet, and the heavy use of "corn syrup" as a sweetener are driving up the instances of diabetes.... the body cannot process corn syrup (I'm sure some Dr. here can elaborate). Ironically, federal subsidies are the culprit for this increased use in our foods! Eat right, exercise, and you'll likely never get Diebetes.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

agree, diabetes isnt the death sentence it was a long time ago.

i have many friends in the medical profession who like to talk about their work, probably because i ask too many questions. i have heard about much worse diagnosees(?). it obviously could have been much worse. good luck to you and your father.

OP
OP
V

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you guys for the kind comments and words guys. :)

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What type of diabetes does your father have? My dad has type 2 and only has to watch out for certain amounts of food, just like Warfang said.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather